Question Computer randomly freezes, normally after being inactive for an hour or more.

DillonCSK

Reputable
Feb 1, 2020
Randomly the computer will just free displays will be on but mouse and keyboard don't work, can't short press to shutdown or reset need to hold in the power button to turn it off.
Seems to happen mostly when the PC is idle it is used for processing data so will be under 100% load for hours.
I have reinstalled windows using the windows 10 function. I have also upgraded to windows 11 but no luck
I have swapped the ram and gpu as well this have not made a change.
Been happening daily for over an year.
Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

The computer has the following parts:
Ryzen 9 3950X
1070ti before (Radeon RX 7900 XT, and before that 2080 Super)
G.Skill F4-3200C16Q-64 TridentZ ( before a 64gb set of Corsair Vengeance)
Antec 850 Gold PSU

Lutfij

Titan
Antec 850 Gold PSU
Antec is the brand of the unit while 850W is the advertised wattage of the unit. How old is the unit in question?

I have reinstalled windows using the windows 10 function. I have also upgraded to windows 11 but no luck
Where did you source the installer for the OS? You're advised to reinstall Windows 11 after creating your bootable USB installer for Windows 11. You're also advised to install the OS in offline mode, then manually install all relevant drivers that are the latest in an elevated command.

BIOS version for your motherboard? You forgot to mention the make and model of your motherboard.

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

ubuysa

Distinguished
Some AMD CPUs seem to have a problem with power transitions from low power state, such as when a processor is idle, to the normal running power state. Typically this causes a BSOD but it might also be the cause of your freezes.

If this is your problem then there's nothing you can do to fix it, it's a fundamental issue with the CPU. You can try a few workarounds however, all of which stop the processors entering the lower power state (any one of them should work, but you can implement all three if you like)...
  • In the BIOS setup, disable C-States for the CPU. This stops the processors entering low power states at a microcode level.
  • In Windows, change to the built-in High Performance power plan. This stops Windows trying to put the processors in a low power state.
  • If you must keep your existing power plan then change the Processor Power Management setting in your power plan so that the Maximum Processor State and Minimum Processor State are BOTH set to 99%. This also stops Windows trying to put the processors in a low power state.
See whether that stops your freezing, if it does then you'll have to run that way for good. If not then we'll do some more detailed investigating.

DillonCSK

Reputable
Feb 1, 2020
Antec 850 Gold PSU
Antec is the brand of the unit while 850W is the advertised wattage of the unit. How old is the unit in question?

Where did you source the installer for the OS? You're advised to reinstall Windows 11 after creating your bootable USB installer for Windows 11. You're also advised to install the OS in offline mode, then manually install all relevant drivers that are the latest in an elevated command.

BIOS version for your motherboard? You forgot to mention the make and model of your motherboard.

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

DillonCSK

Reputable
Feb 1, 2020
Originally installed windows 10 via USB offline I cannot remember if I just used windows "rest this pc" or did a clean install with a USB.
after that upgraded to windows 11 through windows update.
The computer does seem to mostly doe this overnight only happened once or twice while someone was working on it.
Temps are fine never been a problem

CPU: Ryzen 9 3950X
CPU cooler: Fractal Design Celsius S36
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO -BIOS: F36 ID: 8AMTS004
Ram:G.Skill F4-3200C16Q-64 TridentZ
SSD/HDD: Boot: WD_BLACK 500GB SN750 NVMe, Crucial BX500 1TB, Crucial P3 4TB, Rogueware NX100S 1TB 2.5” SATA 3.0, Seagate BarraCuda 4TB (ST4000DM004)
GPU: Nvidia 1070ti
PSU: Antec HCG-850 850W 80 Plus Gold (bought in 2020)
Chassis: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Tempered Glass Satin Black E-ATX Windowed Mid Tower
Monitor: Dell SE2717H KYKMD 27" FHD 1080p x2

DillonCSK

Reputable
Feb 1, 2020
Some AMD CPUs seem to have a problem with power transitions from low power state, such as when a processor is idle, to the normal running power state. Typically this causes a BSOD but it might also be the cause of your freezes.

If this is your problem then there's nothing you can do to fix it, it's a fundamental issue with the CPU. You can try a few workarounds however, all of which stop the processors entering the lower power state (any one of them should work, but you can implement all three if you like)...
  • In the BIOS setup, disable C-States for the CPU. This stops the processors entering low power states at a microcode level.
  • In Windows, change to the built-in High Performance power plan. This stops Windows trying to put the processors in a low power state.
  • If you must keep your existing power plan then change the Processor Power Management setting in your power plan so that the Maximum Processor State and Minimum Processor State are BOTH set to 99%. This also stops Windows trying to put the processors in a low power state.
See whether that stops your freezing, if it does then you'll have to run that way for good. If not then we'll do some more detailed investigating.
Thanks a lot, that does sound like the possible cause will implement what you said and see if it helps