Question Computer randomly having trouble. CPU usage at idle jumps anywhere between 15%-25%. When I open task manager it jumps to 100%. What do I do?

Nov 5, 2019
Same as the title. Randomly started happening about a day or two ago. Now the computer runs pretty slow 24/7. My little brother mainly uses it for gaming. Can't figure out what's wrong for the life of me. I was considering reinstalling windows/factory resetting the computer, but I have too many important documents on here to do that. Situation just sucks in general. Anyone have any tips?

Task Manager: View: https://i.imgur.com/mBSGMFb.png

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6800K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Installed RAM: 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)

HWMonitor will allow you to monitor cores speeds under load (P95/small FFTs,custom/no AVX2), with temps, just to make sure you are not perhaps overheating (is your system water-cooled?), with subsequent throttling....

Naturally, there could be some sort of driver/WIndows update related glitch. or, even some uninvited malware (crypto-currency miners, etc) accidentally downloaded when intending on some new game 'patch', etc...

download/install HWMonitor,,,,
run it...

Download/install CPU-Z

run CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU

note HWMonitor clock speeds, core temps

(you can close HWMonitor and CPU-Z afterward)

The concern over any system having a pump is a potential pump failure, leading to throttling down to 800 MHz, etc..

What is that Dell.D3.winsrv junk in Task Mngr?

Does task mngr/performance show some spiking to 3.x GHz when under load, opening/closing applications?

Is your OS on an SSD (enough free space?) or spinning drive (any caution status on CrystalDiskInfo?)?