[SOLVED] Computer randomly loses power until moved

JokeT

Reputable
Feb 20, 2016
I'm having an issue where my desktop seems to be shutting down randomly, and it won't turn on until I move the PC in some way, such as hitting or moving the tower. I have also noticed that some things stay on when the power cuts off, like the mouse LED still functions, and the little green light on my GTX 1070 also stays on, but the GPU LEDs aren't lit. Everything else seems to cease functioning until I move the PC.

I thought that it could be a loose component, but if that were the case, the PC would shut down if I move it while it's turned on. However, it doesn't. I have built my PC in 2013, with the PSU and tower being the two components I haven't upgraded over time. Could any of these be responsible for my issue?

Specs:
GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070
CPU: AMD R6 2600X
Motherboard: ASRock X470 Master SLI/AC
PSU: ENERMAX NAXN 82+ ENM750AWT 750W ATX12V v2.3
Tower: Cooler Master HAF 912

Solution
Could be a loose connection affecting only one component and not the entire desktop.

Open the case and check all cable connections, card seatings, RAM, and jumpers to ensure that all are fully and firmly in place.

Check the internal wires. Make sure that there are no bare spots (copper showing) created by rubbing or pinching.

If necessary clean out dust, hair, debris, debugs, paper scrapes etc.. Likely time for a new CMOS battery if the battery has not been replaced.

And consider that the PSU may be reaching EOL (End of Life). Does not take much of a problem within a PSU to cause any number of problems for the host computer.

One other suggestion: Do look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings...

Ralston18

Titan
Could be a loose connection affecting only one component and not the entire desktop.

Open the case and check all cable connections, card seatings, RAM, and jumpers to ensure that all are fully and firmly in place.

Check the internal wires. Make sure that there are no bare spots (copper showing) created by rubbing or pinching.

If necessary clean out dust, hair, debris, debugs, paper scrapes etc.. Likely time for a new CMOS battery if the battery has not been replaced.

And consider that the PSU may be reaching EOL (End of Life). Does not take much of a problem within a PSU to cause any number of problems for the host computer.

One other suggestion: Do look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings. Especially any that occur just before or at the time of the shutdowns. May provide an additional clue or two.

Reactions: helper800
Solution