Computer randomly reboots (load, no load), multiple PSUs tested

NexTerren

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
I'm building a new build with new parts and a few salvaged parts from my old machine.

**Problem**

The computer reboots "randomly" typically within 20 minutes, but can be within 30 seconds. With both PSUs I've tested (one old, one that had been working fine in my previous gutted machine) click as power goes out, and then click again before turning back on.

**Details**

1. Load doesn't seem to matter. Sitting at the desktop with CPU use ~1% is as likely to make it reboot as running Intel's CPU burn, Prime95, or Furmark. I legit can let one of these run for ~15 minutes, stop it to change the settings for ~3 minutes, and have it reboot as I'm messing around with settings.
2. Running MemTest86 (pro) several times through memory shows no issues with memory. One time while running it the computer did reboot, but it was only once, making me think it can't be a RAM issue.
3. I swapped PSUs back and forth, both at easily enough Wattage (850, 1000). Same issue.
4. Drives active don't seem to matter (present or removed)
5. Graphics card has been swapped out. Issue reproducible with all three cards (have to have a card as motherboard has no video output of any type)

...The only thing that I notice can stop the random reboots is entirely disconnecting my CPU cooler (NZXT Kraken X62). Doing so obviously puts the CPU at risk, but I can sit there and let it run at the desktop and the computer seems stable (or maybe it's just luck) after ~45 minutes.

Also as to the pump the Kraken's CAM software can't pull up any data on the CPU (temp, speed, etc), and changing the fan speed via it doesn't seem to do anything.

*Also* about the Kraken is that either the pump is really really quiet (which per reviews it does seem really quiet?) or it's not running. This leads me to *suspect* that possibly the pump is kicking on, shorting out, and causing the reboot... except the CPU temps stay down with the Kraken plugged in, and I wouldn't think that just the fans + radiator and no fan would do that.

**Troubleshooting Steps**

1. Swapped PSUs
2. Swapped graphic cards
3. MemTest86 verified the RAM (overnight, multithreaded)
4. Verified all connections (power, data, everything) as snug
5. Ran stress tests (no correlation found between crashes)
6. Unplugged CPU cooler (see above)

**Computer Specs**

(Note: Combinations not listed, only the various parts used in swapping)

* Motherboard: MSI X299 Tomahawk
* Power supply: Corsair RM1000, and HX850i
* Graphics card: Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme, GTX 770, GTX 770 (don't remember the brand)
* RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz (x2)
* CPU: i7-7740X

Solution
If Windows restarts unexpectedly you have to check the System Startup and Recovery setting for how it should behave when it encunters a system error: check the web page for instructions and afterwards go to the System > Advanced > Startup and Recovery > and check the Automatic Restart setting: if it's marked that should explain why the system restarts without warning. If the box is not marked the computer should pause in a BSOD where you can see the Error codes that should help find the cause.

If the Automatic Restart setting is marked, remove the mark > Restart the computer and wait for the next error... if it's a system error a blue screen of death should come up and pause... make a note of the registered error codes, > shut the...
If Windows restarts unexpectedly you have to check the System Startup and Recovery setting for how it should behave when it encunters a system error: check the web page for instructions and afterwards go to the System > Advanced > Startup and Recovery > and check the Automatic Restart setting: if it's marked that should explain why the system restarts without warning. If the box is not marked the computer should pause in a BSOD where you can see the Error codes that should help find the cause.

If the Automatic Restart setting is marked, remove the mark > Restart the computer and wait for the next error... if it's a system error a blue screen of death should come up and pause... make a note of the registered error codes, > shut the computer down and start it back on. If it still doesn't pause with a BSOD (suddenly restarts), the cause could be related to a power issue.

You can also download BlueScreenView and run it to see if a Dump file was recorded and see what error codes are in it. If no error codes were registered, it could be a power related issue.

If after unchecking the Automatic Restart setting, another sudden restart occurs without pausing on a BSOD screen, the cause is probably due to a power issue.

How to Enable or Disable BSOD Automatic Restart in Windows 10
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/69012-enable-disable-bsod-automatic-restart-windows-10-a.html

BlueScreenView
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html[/b]

Solution