[SOLVED] Computer randomly shutdown and restarts sporadically

Dec 7, 2018
Hi All, first time here. I've googled this issue I've been experiencing the last 6 months and i've kinda given up and need help. Essentially my self built pc is randomly, i mean, randomly, powering down then restarting a second later. It doesn't matter if i'm playing heavy gaming on ultra or just after start up on the desktop. Some months i have multiple in a week and the last month only one. Through research i though it was the PSU and i was fairly certain but it happened after replacing it :(

I just ran Memtest86 to check memory and again no errors found. In event viewer i have only this common code:
Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Matt-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

My system is below:
PSU: corsair HX850i platinum 850w (just replaced to this)
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz
MOBO: Z270X-Gaming 5
GPU: Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C16D-16GTZR 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4
SSD: Samsung Evo 850 250gb
HDD: Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164

Thanks guys!

Solution
When a computer randomly restarts, its typically a hardware problem like you have been diagnosing. Parts in question can be either RAM, hard drive/ssd, psu, or gpu. Since you said you just replaced the psu and the ram test came back without errors, I would move on to testing gpu. You could do this by just connecting the video cable, which ever one you have, to the onboard plug ins on the motherboard. Then just do some light loads for a while like watching you tube or Netflix and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't, its gpu probably. If it still happens, you can probably rule out gpu. Next would be hdd or ssd, depending on what you got in your system, and to test this, run chkdsk on the drive. However, in your case this could be...
That is standard message you get, if windows has not been shutdown properly.
Turn off "Automatically restart on system failure". Then you'll get BSOD with info about problem, that caused it.

c04778889.jpg

Dec 7, 2018

I did this last week, and i just had a crash 20 minutes ago. same thing but my LED lights on my pc stayed on but the rest of my pc restarted? No BSOD or anything just black screen then reboot.

Nerdy Nerd

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
When a computer randomly restarts, its typically a hardware problem like you have been diagnosing. Parts in question can be either RAM, hard drive/ssd, psu, or gpu. Since you said you just replaced the psu and the ram test came back without errors, I would move on to testing gpu. You could do this by just connecting the video cable, which ever one you have, to the onboard plug ins on the motherboard. Then just do some light loads for a while like watching you tube or Netflix and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't, its gpu probably. If it still happens, you can probably rule out gpu. Next would be hdd or ssd, depending on what you got in your system, and to test this, run chkdsk on the drive. However, in your case this could be risky as if it decides to restart during this test, then files could be damaged. So in your case, to be safe, I would take the drive out and plug it into an external hard drive docking station on another machine and then run chkdsk on the drive. These are my ideas unless you get a BSOD, then of course just look up that code.

Solution