Question Computer randomly shuts down with a clicking sound during heavy CPU workloads, and PC doesn't reboot ?

terry.94

Prominent
Jun 29, 2022
Since about 2 days ago, my PC started to randomly shut down with a clicking noise (similar the noise it makes when I boot up the PC), but unlike normal crashes, it doesn't reboot instantly. When I try to turn it back on with the power button, nothing happens and the PC won't turn on, until I completely unplug it from the power source and replug it, then it would turn on when I press the power button. This crash has happened 3 times when attempting to open CSGO/Valorant whilst I also had Google Chrome opened in the background, once when only Google Chrome was opened and twice just now when I rebooted it. The last 2 times it shut down, I would see a white/grey screen with a black line going across horizontally.

Every time it has shut down randomly, the CPU audio indicator lights at the back are still on. I'm unsure if this is a motherboard, PSU, CPU or GPU issue. I'm leaning more towards the motherboard or PSU, as I feel like my PC is shutting down when there is a sudden spike of power needed for the CPU when loading stuff cause I hear the fans ramp up before it shuts down.

Are there anyways I can find out the cause or shall I just try to RMA the motherboard or PSU?

Any help is appreciated!

USAFRet

Titan
Since about 2 days ago, my PC started to randomly shut down with a clicking noise (similar the noise it makes when I boot up the PC), but unlike normal crashes, it doesn't reboot instantly. When I try to turn it back on with the power button, nothing happens and the PC won't turn on, until I completely unplug it from the power source and replug it, then it would turn on when I press the power button. This crash has happened 3 times when attempting to open CSGO/Valorant whilst I also had Google Chrome opened in the background, once when only Google Chrome was opened and twice just now when I rebooted it. The last 2 times it shut down, I would see a white/grey screen with a black line going across horizontally.

Every time it has shut down randomly, the CPU audio indicator lights at the back are still on. I'm unsure if this is a motherboard, PSU, CPU or GPU issue. I'm leaning more towards the motherboard or PSU, as I feel like my PC is shutting down when there is a sudden spike of power needed for the CPU when loading stuff cause I hear the fans ramp up before it shuts down.

Are there anyways I can find out the cause or shall I just try to RMA the motherboard or PSU?

Any help is appreciated!
Please list ALL components in this.
Make/model of everything.

There are only a few things with moving parts that could make a "click".

Power supply fan
Case fans
Hard drive (this is the likely culprit)

terry.94

Prominent
Jun 29, 2022
Please list ALL components in this.
Make/model of everything.

There are only a few things with moving parts that could make a "click".

Power supply fan
Case fans
Hard drive (this is the likely culprit)
The problem is most likely the PSU as I've had a similar experience with mine. Could you share your PC specs?
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • ASUS ROG Strix X570-I
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 CL16 Memory (CMK16GX4M2Z4000C16)
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition
  • Corsair SF750 W 80+ Platinum SFX Power Supply
  • 2 x Phanteks T30 and 1 x NF-A12x15 PWM chromax.black.swap
  • 1 x Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
  • 1 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
  • 1 x Samsung 870 Evo 4TB
The 'click' noise sounds like the noise made when I boot up my PC using a screwdriver connecting the pins on the motherboard