Computer reboots under load

dylanhutching

Prominent
Aug 31, 2017
I know there are other threads on this subject, but i feel like my issue may be slightly different.

I've recently built a relatively new PC.

Including :

i5 7600k Intel CPU
GTX 680 GPU
Corsair HX650 PSU
MSI Z270 SLI Plus Motherboard
Kingston 120 GB SSD
WD Blue 500 GB HDD
8 GB Team Vulcan Ram
2x Red LED Fans
Dell Optical Drive
Slim CPU Cooler (Unknown atm)

The PSU & GPU were both salvaged and i do plan to replace them, but in the mean time i've been loving this machine except for the fact that i cannot run games at high settings or else it will reboot with no warning.

I have never dealt with anything like this which is why im looking for help,
but i believe there are a few possibilities which are not limited to :
Possibly not enough wattage provided by the PSU,
Possibly using more VRAM than the card can handle (2 GB), and
possibly overheating cpu.

I can play all games on lowered settings. Running PUBG at lowered settings yeilds around 100 fps without rebooting, but raising textures to medium rather than low will cause reboots uncommonly without affecting fps at all.

At this point, i'm waiting to buy at GTX 1060, and possibly a new PSU but i do believe the current one is in good condition. I have no idea what could be causing this or where i should start looking so any ideas you have would be wonderful.

Thank you in advance,

Dylan <3

Solution
This is almost definitely a PSU issue. Is your CPU overclocked? What are your temperatures looking like? Games should not use more VRAM than the card can provide, and it wouldn't make your PC restart.

It's probably not very healthy for your system to have a PSU that's not up to the task... you say you got it salvaged, right?

While it's not necessarily the PSU not giving off enough power, it could be just a hardware issue with the PSU.

I'd recommend getting a new PSU soon, as GPU prices are super high right now due to cryptocurrency mining, a 1060 costs as much as a 1070 in some cases!

tl;dr PSU issue, get a new PSU before a new GPU
This is almost definitely a PSU issue. Is your CPU overclocked? What are your temperatures looking like? Games should not use more VRAM than the card can provide, and it wouldn't make your PC restart.

It's probably not very healthy for your system to have a PSU that's not up to the task... you say you got it salvaged, right?

While it's not necessarily the PSU not giving off enough power, it could be just a hardware issue with the PSU.

I'd recommend getting a new PSU soon, as GPU prices are super high right now due to cryptocurrency mining, a 1060 costs as much as a 1070 in some cases!

tl;dr PSU issue, get a new PSU before a new GPU

Solution