[SOLVED] Computer Reboots When Playing Games -- Problem Occurred After Cleaning Out My Case

Nov 14, 2020
My computer shuts down and starts itself back up when playing games, and only when playing games (thus far). The time played before it shuts down varies. I've had this setup for more than a year and have never experienced this issue before. So far, I have ran a Malwarebytes scan with nothing detected. I've monitored CPU and GPU temps while playing and my CPU peaks at 80 degrees C every once in awhile, but I've read for my CPU that's not abnormal. In addition, and just in case, I checked the thermal paste and reapplied it. The rebooting started right after I cleaned out my case with canned air. You would think cleaning out dust would only improve things, not ruin them, but here we are. While I was cleaning, I did some cable management. I disconnected most everything from my PSU and SATA ports, but reconnected them exactly how they were before. All my drivers are up-to-date, and so the only thing I can think of is the PSU. It is listed below. It's 550 Watts, which should be fine with my set-up, unless I'm overlooking something. But given it hadn't been an issue until now, I can't see this being the issue. PLEASE HELP. I am going crazy over here. Thanks!

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz, 4008 Mhz
GPU: Strix GeForce GTX 1080ti
RAM: 32 GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4-3000 CL15
MOBO: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151
PSU: EVGA G2 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterAIR MA410M
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Monitors: I run a triple monitor setup with three ASUS VG248QE monitors.
I also have an Astro A50 headset hooked up at all times

EDIT: I just ran a OCCT test on the VRAM setting, and everything looks fine. I then ran the 3D test, and it immediately shut down my system and reboot. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Solution
Your psu is barely adequate for a GTX1080ti. But it is of good quality so that should not be an issue.
But running graphically intensive apps is what will put the most demand on the psu.
Since the unit is fully modular, check that both ends of cables are fully inserted and not damaged. My guess is that the air dislodged a cable.

Past that, consider the possibility of a psu failure.
It does happen, even to good units.
See if you can test with a known good psy.
My computer shuts down and starts itself back up when playing games, and only when playing games (thus far). The time played before it shuts down varies. I've had this setup for more than a year and have never experienced this issue before. So far, I have ran a Malwarebytes scan with nothing detected. I've monitored CPU and GPU temps while playing and my CPU peaks at 80 degrees C every once in awhile, but I've read for my CPU that's not abnormal. In addition, and just in case, I checked the thermal paste and reapplied it. The rebooting started right after I cleaned out my case with canned air. You would think cleaning out dust would only improve things, not ruin them, but here we are. While I was cleaning, I did some cable management. I disconnected most everything from my PSU and SATA ports, but reconnected them exactly how they were before. All my drivers are up-to-date, and so the only thing I can think of is the PSU. It is listed below. It's 550 Watts, which should be fine with my set-up, unless I'm overlooking something. But given it hadn't been an issue until now, I can't see this being the issue. PLEASE HELP. I am going crazy over here. Thanks!

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz, 4008 Mhz
GPU: Strix GeForce GTX 1080ti
RAM: 32 GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4-3000 CL15
MOBO: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151
PSU: EVGA G2 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterAIR MA410M
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Monitors: I run a triple monitor setup with three ASUS VG248QE monitors.
I also have an Astro A50 headset hooked up at all times
Your parts list is really good. I can't help but think you have a loose cable in there somewhere, even though you checked them. While the chances are very small, it's a possibility a pin in one of the connectors came loose or broke while unplugging/re-plugging.

When you were spraying, did any freezing liquid come out from tilting the can? This can cause an issue if you insta-froze something, especially if the computer was running just before you sprayed and the parts were still warm. Did you unplug the system from the wall before you started cleaning? Seems like an obvious question but you'd be surprised. I would not suspect the PSU as it's one of the best around. Hopefully it's something minor because you have a good system.

Nov 14, 2020
Your parts list is really good. I can't help but think you have a loose cable in there somewhere, even though you checked them. While the chances are very small, it's a possibility a pin in one of the connectors came loose or broke while unplugging/re-plugging.

When you were spraying, did any freezing liquid come out from tilting the can? This can cause an issue if you insta-froze something, especially if the computer was running just before you sprayed and the parts were still warm. Did you unplug the system from the wall before you started cleaning? Seems like an obvious question but you'd be surprised. I would not suspect the PSU as it's one of the best around. Hopefully it's something minor because you have a good system.

I’ll double check the pins/cables.

I don’t recall any liquid to come out of the can as I’m super cautious when using canned air. However, it’s always a possibility. I guess there’s no way of knowing if I froze any of the parts?

And yes, I made sure I disconnected the system and all other cables before I even opened my case. No worries, I’m open to any and all questions haha I’m baffled.

Your psu is barely adequate for a GTX1080ti. But it is of good quality so that should not be an issue.
But running graphically intensive apps is what will put the most demand on the psu.
Since the unit is fully modular, check that both ends of cables are fully inserted and not damaged. My guess is that the air dislodged a cable.

Reactions: dnboyer93
Solution
Nov 14, 2020

Thanks for your response. It seems as though the PSU is the issue, but I do not have another handy to test with. I'll probably end up buying a new one at a higher wattage to be safe. I ran an OCCT test, and it has immediately rebooted using the Power test and the 3D test. Not sure if that helps.

Nov 14, 2020
Your rebooting problem is similar to mine and I suspect either the GPU or the PSU. Did your problem go away after replacing the PSU?

Yes. So I replaced my PSU with an EVGA 850 GA, and now I've been able to play any of my games completely maxed out with zero crashes. I suspect that despite my PSU being within appropriate range of my components, my GPU was causing some peaks of wattage passing the PSU threshold causing it to power off suddenly. Idk if this was because a faulty cord or something else, but with a much higher ceiling at 850 watts, everything seems to be working just fine now. I even swapped all the cables out with new ones just in case.

Nov 14, 2020

I went ahead and replaced my PSU (and cables) with an 850W. It works perfectly fine now. Thanks!

Oct 29, 2020
Yes. So I replaced my PSU with an EVGA 850 GA, and now I've been able to play any of my games completely maxed out with zero crashes. I suspect that despite my PSU being within appropriate range of my components, my GPU was causing some peaks of wattage passing the PSU threshold causing it to power off suddenly. Idk if this was because a faulty cord or something else, but with a much higher ceiling at 850 watts, everything seems to be working just fine now. I even swapped all the cables out with new ones just in case.

Thanks for your reply and I'm glad you managed to solve your problem. In my case I doubt it's my PSU as it is a new Seasonic FX-750 which should be more than enough to drive my MSI RTX2070 Super Ventus OC (also new). Stress testing my GPU produce no reboots so this is mysterious. However I haven't had any reboots for the past few week since underclocking my GPU a little bit but not sure if the problem will recur.