Computer Repeatedly Restarts & Shuts Down/Overclocking Failed

Nov 10, 2018
Hi Forum,

A few weeks ago, I had a CATastrophy, that resulted in graphics card being forcibly unseated from my motherboard. I tested everything, and only the GPU seemed affected. So I bought another one. When I went to replace the GPU it didn't work. So I started checking other things. The RAM. The CPU seating. Then I checked the power supply and figured out that the PCI Express cable was disconnected. (Was that issue all along? I don't know. I have a better graphics card now, so that's fine.). Then I turned on the computer. Joy! The GPU powers up. Then the computer stops. It starts. Then it stops. And so on.

That was with 4 sticks of 4GB Gskill Ripjaws Z memory. I'd only had 3 in before (ginormous cooler). So I returned to the same. Same deal. Then just went to one. It powered up okay. So I then tried two. No luck. Then I went back to one. Surprisingly, it started up and then stopped. So I gave it a few minutes. Tried again. It was fine. Over time, I'd tinker with 2 of the 4 sticks and find the computer would start with those, but not all of the three that were working. When it did start with 2, I'd almost always get an "Overclock failed!" notification. I'd go to Bios. Restart the computer. Then it'd start and stop again, repeatedly. Until I turned it off for a bit and tried with one. Sometimes I get the overclocked failed with one, but it does sometimes fully boot to windows with one (never 2). I haven't got the computer to launch with the other two sticks at all.

Once booted to windows, I have no problems. I've left it on for a dozen or so hours just to monitor it. No crash. No spike. No voltage. None of that stuff.

I've replaced the motherboard. I figured it was that or the RAM. Given the original issue, Motherboard seemed most plausible. Same issue. The motherboard came with the most recent BIOs update. I've also confirmed that there are no spikes in voltage. PSU seems fine. And the temp is a stable 30c.

My guess is this is a RAM issue. Can I have a second opinion? I don't have any additional sticks to swap out. And it's the one thing I'd rather not replace if not completely necessary. But if it sounds like a RAM issue, then that's what I'll do.

Sorry for all the text. I figure more is better. You're the experts. I'm not.

Thanks.

EM

if your pc is older ddr3 ram turn off xmp profile see if the ram run at 1.5v at 1600 speed. if your pc a few years old run hardware info set it to logging and sensor see if your power supply voltage is holding. if the error still there try having the vendor send you a two stick 1.5v ram kit.