Computer restartes during gaming

Jun 13, 2018
Okay so for the past 6 months or so my computer has been restarting after pretty much any game I play. After having my pc shut off for the night I'm able to play for a short while and sometimes even all day but when it starts rebooting, I'll do it more and more until I shut it off for a while. I know it sounds like temps, and it may even be the temps, but I've looked at my them and everything seems to be running as normal. Based on the countless forum threads I've look over I belive the problem is with my psu but Id like to be certain before I buy anything. I've also tried to run "UserBenchMark" and it crashes right before it would normaly complete.

I build this pc around 3 years ago and since then i've upgrated my gpu and bought extra ram (8 more gigs.)
I'm still fairly new to pc gaming and my knowelge is very limited

My specs are as followed: (nothing is overclocked)
Intel Core i5-4690K Processor 3.5 GHz
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (had a MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G while I first build it)
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Kit (4GBx4) DDR3
Thermaltake TOUGHPOWER 750W 80 PLUS GOLD
Crucial BX100 120GB SSD
WD Blue 1TB Desktop

Please if you need anymore information at all, let me know. I would really love to see this isuse fixed becuase where it stands it is unusedable.

Solution
Think you have your answer! Conceivably it could be the PSU. But with the things we've looked at it appears to be the GPU. You could try it in another system to be sure.

Is the 1080 new, still under warranty? You might want to RMA it if it is. If it's not, you can try find an appropriate fan, and replace. You would possibly have to re-apply thermal paste too. You can find videos online to help with that.
Jun 13, 2018

My bad I forgot to add that, I have a MSI ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97 GAMING 5

I wouldn't agree necessarily that it's the PSU. It's a fine PSU, and is plenty for that system. Not ruling it out yet though.

Your telling us your temps seem normal. But we need more than that. Run HWMon, and take a screenshot at idle, and then run a game (as best you can) and take a screenshot of HWMon, whilst the game is running. This will show us not only CPU/GPU temps, but usage, voltage, fan speed among other important variables while the system is under load.

edit: Given you seem to be having primarily gaming issues, if you still the 970 you could swap the GPU's out and see if it helps. It just might be a quick fix.

Jun 13, 2018

I sold my 970 when I bought the 1080 unless I love to give that a try. I will give HWmon information in one second as you requested.

Jun 13, 2018

Okay so using HWMonitor, I found my temps are high, very high.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai-n1O3VlLp6lxh9FlsTqTp-OoNm

Okay, that looks like it's at idle. And although there is one temp measurement thats seems way high (the 127c one) everything else looks okay.

Can you do the same with the system under load? And also, show the screen further down so we can see CPU usage.

You could try the iGPU and run a light game, and see if it crashes.

Jun 13, 2018

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai-n1O3VlLp6lxy_HwD0TnH1-aTW
My game crashed before I could get a screenshot of it but my gpu hit temps of around 60+

Jun 13, 2018

It appears to be 12.192v

GPU temps at 60 are fine. They can go much higher, and even that's okay. anything over 85c and I'd be looking at some extra airflow, or a good clean. GPU seems to be fine. With that said, according to HWMon your GPU fan isn't spinning. Maybe check that . take of the side panel from your case and confirm the fans are spinning.

Jun 13, 2018

I have had both my side panels off for awhile now to hopefully get some extra airflow. Although my gpu fans are indeed not spinning

Well, it's likely it's the 1080. The fans should be spinning even at low RPM.

Take the GPU out. Give it a good clean. But before putting it back in, run the system with the iGPU and make sure it doesn't crash. If it doesn't I think you've found the culprit.

Jun 13, 2018

Okay, I will give that a try

Jun 13, 2018

Okay I took out my 1080 and ran a few using my iGPU and it has not crashed..

Think you have your answer! Conceivably it could be the PSU. But with the things we've looked at it appears to be the GPU. You could try it in another system to be sure.

Is the 1080 new, still under warranty? You might want to RMA it if it is. If it's not, you can try find an appropriate fan, and replace. You would possibly have to re-apply thermal paste too. You can find videos online to help with that.

Solution