Question Computer restarts instead of going to sleep

Jan 14, 2021
After about an hour of using my computer, if I try to put it to sleep, it restarts instead. I’ve tried everything I can. I have reinstalled windows a couple times now and no connections inside seem to be loose. I’m currently trying to get help from evga but they don’t seem to think it’s a hardware problem. Also I have tried disabling fast startup. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Specs:
Xfx rx580
X470 msi
Amd ryzen 5 3600
2 2tb hdd
16gb ram
Ubit WiFi 6 card
Evga 600w bronze psu

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

What "process" do you use t put the computer to sleep?

What do you do after the restart happens? Any signs that there is some update or backup going on?

Look in Reliability History: Any error codes, warnings, or informational events that correspond with the sleep attempts and subsequent restarts?

Look in Task Manager - Startup: Any unrecognized applications be launched and running in the background.

Another place to look is in Task Scheduler - could be some app or utility be launched as a result of the attempted sleep - a "trigger".

Jan 14, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

What "process" do you use t put the computer to sleep?

What do you do after the restart happens? Any signs that there is some update or backup going on?

Look in Reliability History: Any error codes, warnings, or informational events that correspond with the sleep attempts and subsequent restarts?

Look in Task Manager - Startup: Any unrecognized applications be launched and running in the background.

Another place to look is in Task Scheduler - could be some app or utility be launched as a result of the attempted sleep - a "trigger".
after it restarts I just go back to what I was doing. I normally use the button in windows but I also encounter a problem if I press the physical button. It doesn’t say anything about updates or backups. I did find out in reliability history that it’s a hardware error. There were no error codes just windows saying there were hardware errors and that windows was not properly shut down. I found nothing of interest in task manager or task scheduler. Thanks!

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"There were no error codes just windows saying there were hardware errors and that windows was not properly shut down."

My first thought is a faltering PSU but before taking that route there is the possibility of some file corruption within Windows that is not allowing a proper shut down.

Run the Windows built in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Then try "sfc /scannow" and "dism" as another means to find and repair issues.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/ho...-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

Don't think that it happened due to PSU. If OP didn't deliberately changed anything in BIOS then very likely it is caused by wrong ACPI procedure in updated drivers and Windows updates. "sfc /scannow" and "dism" as people above said. Or simply reinstall motherboard chipset drivers.

Jan 14, 2021
This:

"There were no error codes just windows saying there were hardware errors and that windows was not properly shut down."

My first thought is a faltering PSU but before taking that route there is the possibility of some file corruption within Windows that is not allowing a proper shut down.

Run the Windows built in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/ho...-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/
the troubleshooter said it was probably because my psu was set to high settings but this doesn’t make sense considering I’ve had it set to high for about a month now. The sfc did find some corrupt files and it said it did manage to fix them. I’ll have to see if these things fixed my problem. Edit: the balanced and high power options make no difference in if it restarts or not.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021
Don't think that it happened due to PSU. If OP didn't deliberately changed anything in BIOS then very likely it is caused by wrong ACPI procedure in updated drivers and Windows updates. "sfc /scannow" and "dism" as people above said. Or simply reinstall motherboard chipset drivers.
I’ll try reinstalling the motherboard drivers if I still have these issues.

Ralston18

Titan
Consider that although the "higher settings" did indeed work for a month or so there is a "link".

During that month long time span those higher settings contributed in some manner to what ever is happening.

Some threshold was crossed and, in turn, the problems began.

Corrupted files are to be expected with sudden power losses.

What PSU settings were reported by the troubleshooters?

Jan 14, 2021
This:

Consider that although the "higher settings" did indeed work for a month or so there is a "link".

During that month long time span those higher settings contributed in some manner to what ever is happening.

Some threshold was crossed and, in turn, the problems began.

Corrupted files are to be expected with sudden power losses.

What PSU settings were reported by the troubleshooters?
the troubleshooter said I should switch the power to balanced but I still had the issue. I also tried re-installing my motherboard drivers and I’m not sure if that worked. I’ll have to test it out.