Computer Restarts Randomly In Windows 7

Sasuke22

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Hello :hello:

First great site you have here.

plz help me resolve that problem in my computer, because this problem has utterly stumped me.

So basically I'm in the middle of something and my pc just dies, not so much shuts down more like a power failure, then restarts itself. This happens all the time. Sometimes the reboot ocuurs while the pc is starting and happears a message that says the computer was unable to start.But strangely when I use large programs like when I play games like wow or aion the computer doenst reboot, I can play for hours perfectly, and in safe mode occures the same i can be on the computer in safe mode for hours doing any thing that doensnt reboot.(NOTE: sometimes the pc just freezes instead of rebooting but when it freezes I cant do anithing so I have to reboot my computer( I have to reboot the same -.-).

When the computer reboots doenst happear a blue ecran screen of dead, its like a power failure.

My problem its just like when its describe in this site he doensnt show a solution to the problem. Here is the link to the site: http://www.ifmdb.com/computers_hardware-computer-restarts-randomly-in-windows-7-gxoLppvM.html

Plz help with this problem and note that IM NOT AN EXPERT ON COMPUTERS so much of tech language I dont understand, and sorry because of my bad english. And please reply something. ty for your help.

rozz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
Hey buddy welcome!

If you dont mind, can you tell us as much information as possible as to what you computer is?

Is it home built or manufacture. If manufactured, what is your model and how old is it. When did this issue start?

Most likely, a PC shutting down like this could be caused by either: 1. Power issue or 2. Overheating

If it's over heating, most likely, you just need to take it outside, open up the case and blow out all the fans and heatsinks with a can of compressed air or air compressor (please note, make sure the air compressor has no moisture built up in the hose before spraying it in the computer. Water+computers=bad)

The other thing is power issues. This can be caused by a few things, bad power supply, bad wall outlet, or most likely bad capacitors on your motherboard. Open your computer again, take a look at the capacitors on your computer. Most likely, if it's an older computer, the capacitors would be bulging out and or leaking (looks like mold is growing on them) this would be your sign of a bad motherboard which we all hope is not the issue ;).

let us know!

Thanks

Rozz

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
+1 rozz, we need some more info on your build.

However, is your CPU overclocked? Download and run Prime95 and HWMonitor. See what temperature your CPU gets to under a stress-test (and also, see if it causes your PC to reset). Assuming that's OK, try and run your system for a while with a different PSU and see if the problem continues. If you're not already, I'd also get a surge protector - could well be variations in supply voltage (which gives you wider problems if this is the cause and your PC is resetting as much as you indicate).

Let us know how you get on. :)

Sasuke22

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Sorry here is my specs:

- Toshiba Satelite A300
- Windows 7 64-bit
- Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T9400 @ 2.53GHz

No my CPU is not overclocked. (diellur)
I dont think its overheating problem because has I said I can run a game or large programs perfectly for hours without the computer reboots. Its manufactured and have around 2 years. The issue has start about 2 months ago.

plz reply and let me know if you need more information, because Im not an expert on computers.

Ah and one thing diellur how I run my system for a while with a different PSU? Sorry but Im not an expert in these assunts :??:

rozz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
PSU is Power Supply Unit. You may have a bad battery. If you use the laptop constantly and never really unplug it from the wall, the battery may of become unstable over time. try removing the battery, and running off wall power exclusively and see if it blue screens. If it doesnt, try putting the battery back in, see if it blue screens. if it does, then you have found your problem.

Even though the laptop is plugged into the wall, the laptop still draws its power from the battery (just while charging simultaneously). If you ever use your laptop consistently from the wall outlet, it's good practice to have the battery removed.

Sasuke22

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Yes this is what I have think because in the icon of the battery on the taskbar have appeared an error saying that the battery needs replacing and with an note that was saying that your computer may shut down suddenly, so I have associated my problem to the battery.
So I have removed the battery and try the computer without it and the problem persist and rozz in my case I dont have a blue screen when the computer shut down, its like a power failure. (note that the icon saying that the battery needs replacing I think that have already appeared before the problem of the reboots ( I THINK NOT ABSOLUTE SURE).
Ah and I have disable the option of automatically restart and no error appear.

One more thing I know what is the PSU but I need to know how I run my system with a different PSU like diellur have suggested plz help

And can you explain me what diellur wants to say with that, or diellur himself :
If you're not already, I'd also get a surge protector - could well be variations in supply voltage (which gives you wider problems if this is the cause and your PC is resetting as much as you indicate).

Ty for helping me and Im waiting for response :).

rozz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
Laptop are built to shut down when there is power fluctuation that come from batteries. Disregard my "blue screen" comment - i ment to say shut down. Running strait from wall power should resolve the issue. I believe what dielurr wanted was for you to get a new PSU (many tech have spares laying around). As since this is an issue to a laptop, i am going to suppose you dont have a new PSU (the brick that plugs into the wall and chargers you computer).

Sasuke22

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Let me see that I have understand, you are saying that the problem is from the PSU and you are saying that the laptop shut down when there is power flutuation, but if you are saying that, why the computer dont reboot in safe mode? laptop needs energy to work in safe mode.

Sorry for my bad english and not know much about this tech language.

Waiting for reply

Sasuke22

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Ahhhh and I have remember of one thing.
I have said that the problem has started in about two months ago and it was, but in the first month the reboots were less, for example , there was one day that I have had a reboot but only after two days ocurred another reboot.
But in the second month the reboots began each hour, the computer reboot , one hour later another reboot, and now its not even an hour its like 10/15 min. sometimes 30 min.

hope this is information helps you

waiting for reply

Sasuke22

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I have already format my computer because I was thinking that was a virus or something like that I will try the run disk defragmenter.

Sasuke22

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Yes Im running it without the battery but in safe mode because on normal mode he reboots , reboots without the battery and with the battery in normal mode.

rozz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
Lets try running a memory test.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/715-memory-diagnostics-tool.html

Let see if you get any errors of if the PC restarts on this. Since safe mode is pretty much a stripped Windows 7 OS (no extra software running) it could be a bad memory module. My only issue with this is that it usually throws a BSOD on bad memory. But hey, it's worth a try.

Let me do some more research on your laptop. I do know that laptops like the Lenovo T400 had a similar issue where the board 'thought' it was overheating and shut down when in reality it wasn't. It was caused by a faulty motherboard sensor though..

Sasuke22

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I have run the windows memory diagnost and no errors Im gonna try memtest86 and see if he search for any problem.
How I check my power supply? sorry Im a newcomer :/

When the memtest was finish I let you know.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Pobably does the same thing. I use the original memtest86.

Do one thing. Check the temps with Core-Temp. If the temps are within the rated tj max for your CPU and memtest doesn't return anything, and your computer still continues to reboot, check Device Manager for errors.

If nothing shows up, it is likely that it's a software related issue. Either a virus or an operating system related issue. To help make sure this is the case, try these -

Press f8 or something immediately after the manufacturer's logo disappears from screen on boot-up, and choose "Last known good config".

If that works, good. If it doesn't, reboot the computer and enter the BIOS setup and let the computer sit.

If the computer does not turn off, it is likely that your Windows installation is corrupt. You'll prolly just have to format and re-install in that case.

Please carefully go through my post and go through these steps diligently. If nothing works, I'm at my wit's end. You prolly need to take it to the service center.

Sasuke22

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I have tried memtest86 and no errors.

Im gonna install temp core, registry cleaner and system cleaner.

And do these steps:

Press f8 or something immediately after the manufacturer's logo disappears from screen on boot-up, and choose "Last known good config".

If that works, good. If it doesn't, reboot the computer and enter the BIOS setup and let the computer sit.

If the computer does not turn off, it is likely that your Windows installation is corrupt. You'll prolly just have to format and re-install in that case.

But only one thing I have heard a commentary when I was doing the download of registry cleaner is that true? Here is the comment:

I hope nobody really uses these registry cleaners. Registry cleaners often cause more damage to your Windows system than anything. They render a lot of programs inoperable and can render your operating system useless. Never download or use anything that claims it can "fix it all in one click."

Sasuke22

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I have run memtest 4.0 also, and when it was running the computer hasnt reboot , really strange.
Well there are 3 things that dont make the computer reboot:

- In Safe Mode

- While Im playing a game like wow or aion

- when memtest 4.0 is running and checking the memory

The result of the test on memtest 4.0 was no errors but I only have checked 3 GB because it doesnt support 4GB, I have 4 GB RAM.

I have search and I have founded two cases similar to mine and they have the same solution, should I try reduce the voltage of RAM like they have done?

these are the two cases:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274657-13-computer-restarting-couple-minutes

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/270507-13-windows-random-reboot-problem

If you agree that I can try , How I change my RAM voltage ????????

MundoDragon

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
I wouldn't mess with RAM voltage unless you really know what you are doing. Besides, unless you specifically changed the voltage in the past, they should be at their stock values.

Sounds like a power issue to me, but being a laptop, that's not as easily tested or even solved like it would be on a desktop. If you haven't added anything to the laptop, the power supply should be able to handle the load, which suggests the power supply itself is bad. Yet, without having the laptop to test the voltage of the supply to make sure everything is according to spec, there is not much we can do about that. You might have to take it to a respectable service shop and have them test it. Plus, with the added benefit of them seeing it, they may notice something that you have failed to mention because you don't know it is even relevent. Good luck with it.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
As for the RAM voltages, quite the opposite. You should actually get into the bios and set everything on default & try to boot from there to see if the problem is resolved.

I don't know why it doesn't act up while you're playing games, but everything else points towards software failure (you hope that's the case, as it'll be free and painless :)). Actually, it has to be, since it works alright in safe mode. That is indeed the case, right?

If so, I think backing up your data externally and then re-installing after formatting all the partitions is an option as things stand now. What do you have to lose anyways?

EDIT: Have you tried to boot Windows to it's 'Last known good config'?

MundoDragon

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Actually, just because it works in safe mode, doesn't rule out a power issue, it simply could mean the system is not getting stressed enough that the issue surfaces. Although the fact that he plays games has got me baffled. But it is just WoW, which is not really a graphic intense game, so... perplexing nonetheless, but from my experience, definitely sounds like power issue (I've had enough of them :S)

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Obviously power has to be the first suspect, but he's running his notebook directly from the wall socket once he thought that his battery was to be blamed.

The power supply in Japan can't be that bad? I'm guessing even without Fukushima, they are doing plenty alright :)

MundoDragon

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Yes, but my point is the brick that plugs into the wall could be bad, or it may even be a short in the power cord. I would try plugging it in then knocking the cord around a little and see if it restarts.