Computer Restarts Randomly In Windows 7

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sasuke22

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011

Yes I have already done the boot and the last know good config and continues the rebooting.

So How I get into the bios and set everything to default?????

Now its for MundoDragon:

You have said that :

Yes, but my point is the brick that plugs into the wall could be bad

So Its there something to test the brick or I have simply to buy another and try???

MundoDragon

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Yes, a voltage meter, but you would have to know the specs of the power supply and it can be complicated, which is why I suggested taking it in for service and have the professionals do it. They may not even charge you to test it, if they are going to be the ones to fix/replace it if it is bad.

But first, I would try my suggestion above in checking for a short in the cord by wiggling it around while the laptop is on and see if it loses power. Not the safest thing against data corruption, but better than where you stand now.

EDIT: As for getting in the BIOS, it varies depending on the BIOS. I would suggest looking in your documentation or looking it up online. It is usually either the DEL or the F1 key during POST, but it could vary. Once in there, look for an option label 'Set BIOS to optimal settings' or something similiar, select it, then save and exit. Computer will then boot up normally. Don't touch ANYTHING else in the BIOS unless you specifically know what it does.

Sasuke22

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I have read a thing that I think its important, here is:

http://www.ehow.com/how_8371044_measure-computers-internal-temperature.html

The words that caught my attention in that link was that sentence:

BIOS is a very low-resource program so temperature readings in BIOS will be lower than they would be when running a high-demand program such as a video game or editing software.

Since that my computer can work perfectly when he are running a game I think its a good information.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
^ Absolutely. That's why you need to take the temps from a software program like Core-Temp/HW Monitor/Everest etc.

What are your temps anyways? You never did mention that.

MundoDragon

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Okay, so now you think it is a overheating problem? You lost me on that last post. It very well could be a cooling issue, but I ruled it out considering I didn't see you mention anything about extreme heat. If the laptop is getting hot, then that is most likely the issue. In the case that it is, I would look into getting a cooling pad for it. It is a pad that you set the laptop on that helps keep it cool during extensive use.

Sasuke22

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
How I put an print screen from the temperatures of everest????
Like copy and paste the image to here to show you my temp.

Ah and plz give me a response to a commentary that I have discover while downloading system cleaner is that true? Here is the comment:

I hope nobody really uses these registry cleaners. Registry cleaners often cause more damage to your Windows system than anything. They render a lot of programs inoperable and can render your operating system useless. Never download or use anything that claims it can "fix it all in one click."

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Forget 'bout system cleaners. Use 'CCleaner' if you have to. Maybe 'Advanced System Care Free', but ABSOLUTELY nothing stronger.

As I've laid out already, if nothing else works, try reinstalling Windows and if the problem still persists, take it to a reputable service center.
Get the image on your screen. Press "PRT/SCR" (print screen). The image will automatically be recorded and copied. You won't see anything onscreen.

Now, in the search box, type "Paint". Open the program & press the "Paste" icon on the top left corner (not the downward arrow).

Re-size the image if you know how to , else just save the pic in jpeg format to a location of your choice (click on the dark blue icon above "paste").

Now, for uploading images, go to "tinypic.com", click on "Browse", go to the location of the stored photo & click on "upload".

Once that is done, wait and copy the [img/] format address labelled "for forums etc." & paste that on this forum.

Do that, but really, what are the temps (on Core Temp maybe)?

Sasuke22

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
eq305y.jpg

Here is, I dont know what is the GMCH2, thats the value more ellevated.
Ok hope this helps :(

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Those temps are really not the problem. Not by a long way.

And GMCH2 is the Video chipset. Shouldn't be at 60, but shouldn't be a problem at those levels either.

Anyways, so here's the deal -

1. Get into the BIOS, change everything to default and see if that works.

2. Try disabling "Auto Restart" from Computer>System Properties>Advanced System settings>Startup and Recovery Settings(at the bottom)>In the Startup and Recovery window, uncheck the box next to "Automatically restart".

Click on Apply/OK and get outta there.

3. If that doesn't work, then reinstall your OS, 'coz it might just be a software issue, seeing as it doesn't play up in safe mode.

If even that doesn't work, 2 words - Service center.

Sasuke22

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I have clicked F2 to open setup utility I think its there and in the last option I put to default I think its that no???

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
I really don't know how your bios is set up, Sasuke. Different set ups for different manufacturers.

Could you please elaborate exactly what all you see on screen & navigating through what got you to the "default" option that you're talking 'bout?

I wanna be absolutely sure before I advise you to make changes in the BIOS.

EDIT: If you can, then posting a photo will be the best case scenario.

Sasuke22

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I couldnt take a photo, sorry :/

but here is +- what I see:

Insyde H20 Setup Utility

Main | Advanced | Display | Security | Boot | Exit

And in the option exit I have 4 other sub options:

- Exit discarding changes
- Load Setup Defaults
- Discard changes
- Save changes

And I think its to load the option: Load Setup Defaults, but I dont know the absolute sure if the bios is this screen so help plz.

If dont recognize by this informations you can do questions about the screen I see.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Yes, from within the exit menu, select "Load Setup Defaults". Save and exit. (Probably F10 or something).

If it still doesn't work, re-installing the OS might be the last option before taking it to a service center.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
This will format just the partition that Windows will be installed on. You can format every drive or just the required drive according to your wish.

I recommend formatting every single partition if you've backed up your data already.

Sasuke22

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
And How I can format every single partition??

In this step of the site that I learn to format windows, in my last comment its a step that say's:

• If you want to format the partition, go to Drive options
and format the partition where you want to install windows 7. Again, do this only if you have backed up your documents/files!
click format and then yes.

So what I have to do its choose all the partitions and format???

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
You can format from within the BIOS, or during windows installation. Just choose to install Windows on the drive you wanna format and choose "format this partition" from drive options/additional options.

Then cancel installation on that particular partition and choose another one. Continue to do that till all the partitions are formatted using default options.

Sasuke22

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I have discover something that could be very important.

Today I was playing a online game just to be absolutely shure that when Im playing a game the computer dont reboot.

I start play the game login menu password and user and there we go.

So the game consistes in gather a team, the computer chooses 4 members of the game and they are going to play with you.

When you have gathered the team , all of your team have to choise a caracter to play. you have around 80 sec. to choose.

And stars here a strange thing. When you are choising your caracter if you loose the net or you simply shut down the computer, the team is disbanded and the game dont start the others four members are disbanded and they have to find other teammates. The part of choising caracters its like a waiting menu, so what Im saying its when you are choising the caracters you are not really playing the game, just in a temporary menu. ( NOTE: In login menu and in the temporary menu, when you choose the caracters, THE COMPUTER CAN REBOOT because have already happen)( the computer DONT reboot just when you are really playing, when the 80 sec. of choising caracters have reach the limit and so the game can starts.)

So I was choising my caracter, probably 20/10 seg. to the limit of choising caracters time end and the computer reboots.

I was thinking well I have to read the game one more time to login in the game and do another team and start the game, but strangely when I log in the game was saying that the game is already occuring and you can reconect.
(NOTE: In the caracters choise menu if you disconnect or computer shut down you have to run the game and find another team but if you are in the game, if you have choise your team and your team have already enter the game and in the midle of the game the computer shut downs or you get disconnected you can reconnect instead of gather a team again.).

So what have happens to me is that I was in the I was choising my caracter, probably 20/10 seg. to the limit of choising caracters time end and the computer reboots.
I was thinking well I have to read the game one more time to login in the game and do another team and start the game, but strangely when I log in the game was saying that the game is already occuring and you can reconect.

So its kind of strange because if the game is saying me to reconnect the computer has dont really shut down, I dont know how to say this but it's like the computer have shut down the screen and continues work normally but whitout the screen. But it was a reboot like the others, but with this I think that my reboots are not normally.

And one more thing, I have discover that when the computer reboots the screen dont pass do black immediatly.

It seems that the screen takes a litle seconds to be completely black, and I can see a few of the things I was doing on computer, after shut downs. Maybe the seconds that the computer spent after restarts its to put the screen absolutely black, I really dont know thats why I need your help. (NOTE: Iam gonna describe better the reboot: the computer shut downs and after 2 or 5 sec. the computer restarts.)

HOPE THIS HEPS :??:

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Way too complicated to solve over forum correspondence. Sounds like it could be malware as well. If a total and complete re-format and re-install doesn't help, take it to a reputable service center. It might cost you a little money, but you'll in all probability get back your peace of mind from a malfunctioning computer.

Sasuke22

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Ok I will reformat and reinstall but how I do this ?, is like you have said in the last post?????

I was looking for a way to set to manufacturing settings pressing the 0 key and power button but seems that doesnt work for me.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Yes.
You've already set the BIOS settings to default like you mentioned in a previous post.

TRENDING THREADS