Question Computer shows boot screen when it falls asleep.

castletonsnob

Honorable
Feb 11, 2018
Last week, I was gone for almost an hour, and my computer tower shut off. I turned it on, the boot screen showed, and my tabs were still up. It did it again today. Should I be worried?

Unless I miss something in your message @castletonsnob, it simply sounds like your PC went into sleep-mode after an hour of inactivity. Thus, when you opened your PC again, whatever you had opened before was still present, as the PC was not shut down - it was just on standby.

If I missed something in your description, please let me know but from reading what you write, that's the simplest explanation.

castletonsnob

Honorable
Feb 11, 2018
Today, when I was helping my mom get furniture, it fell asleep. When I moved the mouse to wake it up, it made the noise it makes when I shut it off by pressing the power button on the tower and shut off. It turned on again after I pressed the button, and went to the boot screen, and my tabs were saved.

castletonsnob

Honorable
Feb 11, 2018
OK, my computer shut off while it was on the boot screen.

Is my computer dying?

I felt the sides of the tower to see if it's overheating, but the sides are cold.

Does that mean it's not overheating?

Today, when I was helping my mom get furniture, it fell asleep. When I moved the mouse to wake it up, it made the noise it makes when I shut it off by pressing the power button on the tower and shut off. It turned on again after I pressed the button, and went to the boot screen, and my tabs were saved.

What you are describing as the "boot screen" I believe is the logon screen. This is normal behavior when the computer sleeps. A boot screen is where the computer mfg logo pops up followed by the windows loading screen with the "please wait" spin animation.

Your system is fine. You can adjust the settings in the power plan control panel. [windows key] type "choose a power plan" Forcing a re-login is a security option to prevent random people walking by your PC from messing with it while you are away.

There are several stages of sleep for a PC.
  1. There's screen power down (Shaking mouse causes screen to come back up.) (S0)
  2. There's Sleep - power save mode. (S1/S2) Just enough power to keep CPU alive. Non necessary devices shut down (Video card/Hard Drives, etc...)
  3. There's Deep Sleep - (S3) Just enough power to keep memory working in a low power state. Most other systems shut down.
  4. There's hibernate. (S4) (writes your memory and cpu to disk and shuts down the computer. The computer then boots up and restores the memory and cpu states from disk.) Here you will see a boot screen, but everything will be restored to where it was with the exception of requiring you to log in.

The CPU itself has several power saving states. Called C1-C7 (# varies based on model CPU)