[SOLVED] Computer shuts down and reboots during gaming

Aug 11, 2021
My computer will completely shut down and reboot while playing trying some games. ( Fortnite, Rust, and a few others.)
When is say trying, I can't actually open Fortnite or Rust all the way. The computer crashes while in the loader. Other games I can play for an hour or more before the PC shuts off. (I had it happen while playing Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Quantum break)
On most games I keep my setting fairly conservative and play at 1080p or 1440p and set my refresh to cap at 120fps.

I have verified that my RAM is functioning correctly and is set to the correct speed.
The CPU and GPU stay bellow 60 deg C.

Build:
MOBO: asus tuf gaming x570-pro (wi-fi)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB) ddr4 DRAM 3200MHz C16
PSU: Corsair RM750
CPU Cooler: iCUE H100i Elite Capellix CPU cooler

Solution
My computer will completely shut down and reboot while playing trying some games. ( Fortnite, Rust, and a few others.)
When is say trying, I can't actually open Fortnite or Rust all the way. The computer crashes while in the loader. Other games I can play for an hour or more before the PC shuts off. (I had it happen while playing Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Quantum break)
On most games I keep my setting fairly conservative and play at 1080p or 1440p and set my refresh to cap at 120fps.

I have verified that my RAM is functioning correctly and is set to the correct speed.

Build:
RAM: Corsair Vengeance...
Aug 11, 2021
I bought it new. I am wondering the same thing. I have done the pin test on it, where you put a paperclip in pins 4 and 5 and make sure the fan turns on, and it does.
Are there any other tests that i could try?

Build:
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB) ddr4 DRAM 3200MHz C16
PSU: Corsair RM750
CPU Cooler: iCUE H100i Elite Capellix CPU cooler
Try these:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 16 on yours) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios(download, extract the files and copy it to flashdrive, plug it on top rear usb slot then reboot to bios and flash the bios). Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.
  • boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot and connect to internet.
  • Install the latest nvidia driver.
  • And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any. Also enable Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduling in graphics settings like this and reboot:
    unknown.png
*do this all offline until reboot after installing amd chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and manual tune the timing if you want), make sure your ram is on slot 2 and 4. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Solution
Aug 11, 2021
Koekieezz,

Sorry for the long delay. I finally had time to start on what you recommend. On updating the bios and rebooting i am now getting a screen with some computer information. And an error at the bottom that says
"CPU Fan Error!
Press f1 to run SETUP"

Koekieezz,

Sorry for the long delay. I finally had time to start on what you recommend. On updating the bios and rebooting i am now getting a screen with some computer information. And an error at the bottom that says
"CPU Fan Error!
Press f1 to run SETUP"
could you go into bios and restore the bios settings and load default/optimized settings. save and reboot. is the cpu_fan header is inserted?

Aug 11, 2021
could you go into bios and restore the bios settings and load default/optimized settings. save and reboot. is the cpu_fan header is inserted?

I checked the CPU fan header last night, and it is plugged in securely. I think it is that I am using an AIO cooler. I found the setting that was trying to monitor the CPU fan and set it to ignore. That worked.

I am going to finish the rest of the steps and let you know how they worked in a little bit.

Thank you for all of your help.

Reactions: Koekieezz

TRENDING THREADS