Question Computer shuts down on it's own, but like with shutdown prompt! Then turns on and off on it's own.

choodyjr

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
Hello,
for some time now my pc likes to just shut down like I asked for it (menu start > shutdown) with shutdown screen and sound, without any warning and then it will turn on and off on it's own constantly every couple of seconds until I cut the power off wait couple of minutes and switch it back on.
It happens sometimes, in the middle of anything either playing games or working, be like that for some time and then stops for couple of days or even weeks and then it comes back.
I cleaned it inside, checked for viruses, even kept it off the internet for couple of days but it happened anyways.
What could cause this? Can it be 2 years old Windows 7?
Could it be Razer Deathstalker Essential keyboard or Steelseries 100 mouse, or any USB peripherals for that matter?

HW:
Intel I7 6700k
Asus Z170-E Motherboard
Zotac GTX 1060 6GB
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB
Corsair AX1200i PSU

Kingston 240GB SSD
Sandisk Ultra 2 240GB
WDC WD10
Seagate ST1000

All on 2 years old Windows 7.

thanks for any help.

P.S. It doesn't shut down because of usage, overheating etc. I sometimes render a video or play demanding stuff and it will shut down while using Youtube or writing something in Word.

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe you got a sticky case power or reset button,do checo and maybe clean.
You forgot to mention the psu,what maker+model+wattage?
Maybe also disable mosue and keyboard in the bios as devices that can start/wake up the pc.

I do suggest to update to windows 10,but in the end it's up to you. Should still be able to do this as a free upgrade. But make sure to have back ups of all files you want to keep or make a complete system image.
update to W10 free - Google zoeken
the second video seems pretty much what you wan to look at.Might well be if you download the tool from the link below what he talks about is available as well,but otherwise make the bootable usb stick,but launch from within windows.
If you make a installation tool like an usb stick and start it from within windows should you have the ability to upgrade still.
Windows 10 usb install tool
well this last part is up to you to make that decision.;)

choodyjr

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
Maybe you got a sticky case power or reset button,do checo and maybe clean.
You forgot to mention the psu,what maker+model+wattage?
Maybe also disable mosue and keyboard in the bios as devices that can start/wake up the pc.

I do suggest to update to windows 10,but in the end it's up to you. Should still be able to do this as a free upgrade. But make sure to have back ups of all files you want to keep or make a complete system image.
update to W10 free - Google zoeken
the second video seems pretty much what you wan to look at.Might well be if you download the tool from the link below what he talks about is available as well,but otherwise make the bootable usb stick,but launch from within windows.
If you make a installation tool like an usb stick and start it from within windows should you have the ability to upgrade still.
Windows 10 usb install tool
well this last part is up to you to make that decision.;)

Hello,
Buttons are not sticky or anything, It sometimes happen after an hour of using PC/playing games/YT or working.
PSU is Corsair AX1200i it's a bit older than anything in the PC (about 6 years) and yes i know it's way too much for my setup but i had it and would be a waste just not to use it anyways. Also edited it to my main post.

KB and mouse are disabled to wake PC up.

I have used windows 10 for some time. It just doesn't speak to me right. Just like windows vista/8/8.1 didn't. I am not eager to use it until microsoft burns to ground or takes all the telemetry and forceful updates from that abomination ;)