Question Computer shuts down or restarts while gaming

Jul 11, 2023
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and could'nt find a better place to post this.

I started encountering pc shut downs or restarts on a regular base about 2 weeks ago. This only occurs while gaming.

The error is a kernel power 41 - There was no additional information to pinpoint its origin

So I started troubleshooting. I attempted following procedures:

- Checking all cables and connections - removing all parts, cleaning everything, reapplying thermal paste on CPU/GPU and reassembling the pc
- Removing every single overclock option
- Updating every single driver
- Repairing all registry errors
- Running windows system file checker and repair tools - sfc scannow, CHKDSK, DISM (no result)
- Executing malware scans (no result)
- Executing all quick fixes I could find in forums or YT videos (disabling auto-restart and fast startup to name a few)
- Running programs to check for faulty RAM, CPU or GPU (no result)
- Replacing the PSU with a new one (530W -> 700W) - also plugging in the PSU into the wall socket directly
- Running both CPU and GPU stresstests simultaneously (no shut down/restart)
- Replacing the motherboard with one that definetely works flawlessly in another setup (B350 Tomahawk -> B450-F Gaming)
- Updating BIOS

All that didn't change a bit about the issue. I'm going insane - I have reached the limits of my imagination for what the cause of this issue could be.

Please for the love of god can someone help me?

Jay

Specs:

ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
Ryzen 5 1600x
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 2x8 GB
GTX 980 ti
BeQuite! Pure Power 11 - 700W
Samsung SSD 1 TB

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023
i don't see any mention of temperature.
what are the idle and max load(while gaming & stress testing) temps of both CPU & GPU?

and how old is the GTX?
I run both Prime95 and FurMark simultaneously for several hours and both my CPU and GPU capped out at 74 C. While gaming and close to the shut down/restart both CPU and GPU temperatures were significantly lower (below 70)

The GTX 980 ti is 7-8 years old - but I don't see why this would be a relevant information.

Jul 11, 2023
because cards, and all components, wear over time.

the fact that this issue only occurs while you are gaming, and occurs regularly, can very well mean that yours is facing the end of it's life.
But why does no shut down/restart occur while stresstesting for hours with higher (full) utilization on both CPU and GPU?

But why does no shut down/restart occur while stresstesting
most graphics "stress" tests just render simple geometric designs and/or patterns endlessly just to ensure that the processor can output images continuously at their rated speeds without stressing out.

a demanding game actually has very complex 3D shapes, textures, and other more graphically intense processing going on.

it could even have something to do with the complexity of any newer game you're playing and this 5 generation old card trying to render it.
if the card has developed any sort of defect over time it may just have difficulty trying to handle more modern DirectX calculations.

Jul 11, 2023
most graphics "stress" tests just render simple geometric designs and/or patterns endlessly just to ensure that the processor can output images continuously at their rated speeds without stressing out.

a demanding game actually has very complex 3D shapes, textures, and other more graphically intense processing going on.

it could even have something to do with the complexity of any newer game you're playing and this 5 generation old card trying to render it.
if the card has developed any sort of defect over time it may just have difficulty trying to handle more modern DirectX calculations.
The game I'm playing is even older than my card and mostly relies on CPU utilization.

I just want to make sure you didn't jump to any conclusion. I already spent hours and hours troubleshooting and quite a bit of money on new parts. I don't want to spend another couple hundred of Euros on a new GPU, just because you FEEL like that could solve the issue.

If you are most certain from the information I gave you, then I'll give it a try though.