Computer slows at idle, Returns to normal

Nov 14, 2018
My computer slows down/sleeps/does something when at idle. All my power settings are set correctly so nothing should be slowing down/sleeping.
Running Windows 10 Pro
Specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/cj89898/saved/fw2scf

Some things I noticed which lead to this post:
1. After moving the mouse, it takes a second or two for the mouse to move as the computer "returns to normal"
2. I host a dedicated ARK server for me and my friends, when I went inactive they said the ping jumped up insanely high.
3. Teamviewer doesn't work, says the computer is online but never connects.
4. I turned my monitor on before moving my mouse, saw the time went from 1:27 to 1:30 (It was 1:30). This is the main reason I think it's "slowing down"

Colif

Win 11 Master
1. win 10 will use idle times to do background tasks it saves for when you not using PC, so like rebuilding search index, running defrag once a month on boot ssd, and on the hdd, updates store apps in idle as well. I am not going to list everything (as I don't know it all) but generally, idle is used by PC to make it faster. It can be slow to give control back, it really depends which function is running... store updates just keep going until they are finished, normally run on weekends.

2 could be windows updates or something.
3. at all? ever?

4. or it just doesn't refresh the onscreen time while monitor is off

what power mode are you running? You could set it to high performance it may not be as sluggish. could set PC and monitor to never turn off. I just disable sleep as well.

nice KB... he says, looking at his G910

Nov 14, 2018

1. Understandable.
2. Windows updates are disabled (I did a manual update right before posting so I made sure it wasn't that)
3. Sorry, it works when the computer isn't idle, tested with multiple devices. Just doesn't work when idle.
4. The monitor was on for a good amount of time I believe, but that might be possible.

I'm running a custom power mode with custom settings, I can post them all if you would like.
Hard Disk never stops (or whatever that setting means), display doesn't turn off, doesn't sleep/hibernate/etc.

10/10 KB

Nov 14, 2018

So I believe the ARK server ping is related to the "slowing down" of the computer. The weird thing is that I also run some minecraft servers and people say (not tested) the ping doesn't change for those, although ARK is a bit more intensive usually.

The display is never locked, always just leave the desktop up and turn the monitors off.

Nov 14, 2018
I think the problem was the hard disk turning off, somehow it reverted back to 6 minutes instead of never. Seems to be fine now.

Don't know how to close this post. But this is the solution I believe.

Nov 14, 2018

Well the issue isn't just the network adapter or anything because people can still connect to the servers that I host and what not, but the entire computer slows down.

I haven't seen the issue in a while so the hard disk turning off might have been the actual solution.

It could be your drives going to sleep. One of my PCs was doing that, until I replaced its mechanical HDD with a SSD. The drive is likely still sleeping (even though set to NOT turn off any drives; same as before), but it doesn't need to spin up, so it wakes immediately.

Nov 14, 2018

Possibly the issue. The power setting I have is “Hard Disk Turn Off after Never”.
The thing is, my boot drive as well as my server drives are both SSDs.

Is there a way that you know to check/fix this?

When I switched my data drive to a SSD, it eliminated the spin-up time, so "fixed" the issue for me. I'm not sure why it wouldn't in your case. There were some SSDs that issues waking from sleep; which drives do you have? One or both may need firmware updates. Backup ALL data on them first, as I believe that wipes the drives too.