[SOLVED] Computer starting to overheat during gaming after system reinstall

Mar 27, 2020
Specs:
Laptop: Dell G7-7588
Memory: 16GB
CPU: Intel i7-8750H
GPU: GTX1060 Max Q Design

One day my computer failed to start up and is stuck in a repair loop. So I reinstalled the Win10 system on my computer with a boot drive I made earlier. After the reinstallation, I updated all the drivers and whatnot. I got XTU to monitor the situation at hand and I noticed that the laptop temperature often gets to 70-80 degrees Celsius on idle. I find that very weird so I went ahead and turned Intel Turbo off at BIOS. The idle overheat issue is resolved as the idle temperature drops down to slightly over 50 degrees Celsius. However, I notice the computer starts to heat up when I try to play games. and sometimes the laptop CPU/GPU package heats up to about 80 degrees Celsius when I play Plague Inc. Now I know Plague Inc isn't very resource consuming and should run easily on this laptop as I played it before. I am a bit puzzled so I checked the BIOS. I tinkered it around a bit and I turned off Speed Shift technology. It looks like the overheating process is slower now, but it still happens.

I know the fan is working since I can hear it spinning very loud, the computer is barely a year old and the thermal paste shouldn't have any issues. I tried undervolting the CPU as well, it didn't help. I ran both memory and benchmark on XTU for about 10 minutes, the highest temperature it gets on benchmark is about slightly over 60 degrees Celsius. I can't wrap my head around what is the issue here as I installed all the updates and drivers. I tried undervolting the CPU as well, it didn't help.

Can anyone extend a helping hand please? Thanks in advance.

Solution
D
Did you perform a clean install by formatting the hard drive completely and letting windows re-create all the partitions and install it properly

If so it isn’t the software
D

Deleted member 14196

Cooling in laptops is a notorious problem. Make sure that it is clean and dust free and you are probably going to have to replace the thermal paste on cpu

D

Deleted member 14196

Did you perform a clean install by formatting the hard drive completely and letting windows re-create all the partitions and install it properly

Solution
Mar 27, 2020

I did not format the hard drive completely as I have a lot of stuff on the drive. I used the Media Creation Tool and turned a USB into a boot drive and installed the Windows 10 from there.