[SOLVED] Computer stops processing but doesn't crash

BlazeAxtrius

Honorable
May 20, 2015
I bought a new system recently and I am having a very strange issue.

Specs:
Motherboard: MBA SoAM4 MSI A320M-A Pro Max
CPU: Ryzen 5 3500x
Memory: 1x16GB DDR4-2666
GPU: ASUS TUF NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 6GB
PSU: MPC-Power 550W AeroCool
Storage 1: 1x256GB SSD Biostar-S100
Storage 2: 1x1TB HDD Toshiba P300

The computer came with fresh Windows 10 Pro, but the wrong language was installed (Dutch).
I tried changing it and it seemingly worked, however the lockscreen and some other small parts were still in dutch.
I also saw several times in Event Viewer that nl-NL can't be removed because it is system language. (even though it wasn't)

Anyway I left it like that for a while until I started noticing that the computer would just stop processing anything after a while.
The uptime could be 1 hour or 1 day and I can't seem to reproduce the problem myself.
The CPU % utilization goes to 0%, but that is just the most noticable problem, doesn't really mean it is the cause.
The mouse and both monitors work, so does sound and any video if it is playing before the failure.
I can open the windows start menu and open programs or folders but none of them load. (for example opening CMD just shows the black screen with a blinking cursor on the top left. or I open Settings and it has the basic UI but it is just a blank screen)
The computer still works and even after 1 hour of staying in that state it didn't turn off or BSOD.
I have to restart it myself with the button on the case. Task Manager also gets stuck and doesn't report anything.

What I have tried:
  1. I reinstalled Windows 10 Pro completely with a USB drive and formatted both drives. (I had some disk corruption that showed up from /DiskHealth and some other commands but these were "resolved" by them)
  2. I ran the memory diagnostics (mdsched.exe), which showed no errors.
  3. I have HWinfo recording in a .csv file but I don't notice any issues there. I will upload it in Google Drive.
The file contains several hours of data, but I have to mention when the issue exactly occurred.
I was playing Rome Total War remastered and was in a fight. I had left the game running from earlier so the fight was waiting on "Start Deployment" for about 4-5 hours.
I sat down on the PC again after that 5 hour break and it was about 10:00AM and I opened some Youtube video, searched some folders and finally played the fight. (The game was minimized during these 5 hours)
I don't know exactly when I started the fight but it seems that at 10:34AM the diagnostics stopped being written. This means that the computer stopped working at that time, however I was playing the fight until 10:52AM. The fight was more than 20 minutes so I must have started it before the computer broke. I noticed it didn't load the end fight statistics and the video stopped playing at that time as well.
Usually I am able to open folders and such but this time I couldn't ALT+TAB from the game and I had to restart.

I really don't know what the issue is here. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Edit 1: Earlier I got the same problem, however this time task manager was showing 100% CPU utilization, but I couldn't see which process because it lagged and didn't update again. The time and date were also stuck, but the computer was usable (somewhat). I managed to open Notepad++, wrote some letters and saved it on the SSD and HDD as well. Couldn't open anything else that needed loading like Settings or folders. HWinfo was able to open up, but it didn't update any statistics. I was able to restart the computer through "Start Menu > Power > Restart", usually that wasn't possible before. This time it could be some process that hogged everything but it felt a bit different than previous times.

Last edited:
Solution
Nevermind it was Rome Total War Remastered crashing the desktop somehow and locking it up. I changed to "borderless window" from "window" and I also avoid alt+tab during loading screens. Haven't had the issue otherwise.

BlazeAxtrius

Honorable
May 20, 2015
Nevermind it was Rome Total War Remastered crashing the desktop somehow and locking it up. I changed to "borderless window" from "window" and I also avoid alt+tab during loading screens. Haven't had the issue otherwise.

Solution