Question Computer stuck on boot /black screen due to faulty SSD ?

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Hello,

I've been having a serious problem with my PC for the past two hours. I was doing something and I needed to unplug the power strip the pc was plugged in. I didn't think of it and I directly unplugged the power strip. I finished what I was doing and I plugged the power strip back in, started the pc but it was stuck on booting for around 10 minutes. I restarted it but the same thing happened.

After restarting it couple of times it started loading auto repair - it got stuck on that too, couple of times.

I tried removing CMOS, waited 5 minutes an plugged it back in - same thing, stuck on booting. I inserted an usb with fresh windows 10 on but it didn't want to start reinstallation.

Finally, I shut down the pc and removed the ssd that drive D is on - the pc booted (though I didn't see the boot starting with the Arsenal Gaming logo as it usually does) and it seemed to work fine. I shut down the pc and plugged the drive D ssd on, started the pc, it loaded and then black screen. Unplugged the drive D ssd again and started the pc and it worked fine.

Every time I plug in the drive D ssd it gives black screen after booting. So, it seems it might be a problem with that ssd, or is it?

So, the resulting problems are:
1. The computer can not run if the drive D ssd is plugged in - it can run only with my drive C ssd.
2. All the important data on the corrupted ssd is inaccessible.

Do you have any suggestions for a solutions to those problems? Is it possible to at least recover the data?

Thank you in advance.

All my pc parts were bought brand new:
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk
GPU: RX 6600
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
PSU: Seasonic S12II-520 Bronze
SSD (Drive C): SanDisk Ultra 3D 500 GB - bought brand new 5 years ago
SSD (Drive D): Samsung 870 Evo 1 TB - bought brand new 2.5 years ago
RAM: 2x8GB

Last edited:

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
My thought is that Drive D was being used (read/write) when the power went off and the drive was corrupted.

Look in Reliability History/Monitor.

Any drive related errors, warnings, or informational events?
Thank you for replying.

Is this what I need to provide?:

Screenshot-1.png

Screenshot-2.png

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Yes.

Not a lot to work with though.

Next take a look in Event Viewer. Provides much of the same information.

Not as user friendly and requires more time and effort to navigate and understand.

To help:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-use-windows-10-event-viewer.2752289/

Another place to look is Update History.

The objective being to discover some error code, warning, or informational event that occurred just before or at the time the disk problems started.

Do you have Samsung's disk drive diagnostics?

E.g.:

https://www.lifewire.com/samsung-hutil-review-2624563

https://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer-storage/magician/

There may be other ideas and suggestions.

Reactions: kubrat

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Yes.

Not a lot to work with though.

Next take a look in Event Viewer. Provides much of the same information.

Not as user friendly and requires more time and effort to navigate and understand.

To help:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-use-windows-10-event-viewer.2752289/

Another place to look is Update History.

The objective being to discover some error code, warning, or informational event that occurred just before or at the time the disk problems started.

Do you have Samsung's disk drive diagnostics?

E.g.:

https://www.lifewire.com/samsung-hutil-review-2624563

https://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer-storage/magician/

There may be other ideas and suggestions.
Event Viewer Error Screenshots:
1. https://i.ibb.co/4tyLV0P/Screenshot-1.png
2. https://ibb.co/ZzqKZKv
3. https://ibb.co/x5TB6wq
4. https://ibb.co/HxLK5J7
Screenshot-11.png

on image 5 there are ''disk'' errors. The interesting thing is that they are not on the date that shutdown happened - it happened on 26.02 around/after 16:15 and it looks like those disk errors are from 24.02

The ''Application'' Event has no errors, just ''Information'' - at least between 24.02 - 27.02.
The ''Security'' Event has only ''Audit Success".
The ''Setup'' Event has only ''Information'' up until 18.02
Only the ''System'' event has errors, warnings, ''Critical'' warnings. There are a lot more screenshots I can provide but I didn't want to spam here with so many screenshots - any additional screenshots I should provide from the errors and warnings in the ''System'' event?

I don't have the Samsung's disk drive diagnostics but I will look into it and see if I can use it, after posting this.

Btw, I guess I am supposed to run those while the problem SSD is on but how would I do that if the PC doesn't want to boot or pretty much do anything else, while the problem SSD is plugged in? The PC is currently only running because only the drive C ssd is plugged in.

Update: It seems there are system errors since last year:
Screenshot-12.png

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
You can try booting into safe mode - may be able to "see" the Drive D: and run diagnostics.

Or place the SSD in an external case and connect to another PC and try running the diagnostics in that manner.

Event ID 7:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/the-device-deviceharddisk0dr0-has-a-bad-block

You can google Event ID 7 and the other Event IDs as well.

No need to take any immediate actions. Simply read and keep notes. Look for some common factor with respect to he various errors.

And you may discover other related happenings that were not noticed or did not seem relevant.

Do be careful: Many "troubleshooting" links tend to offer up software solutions etc. to solve the problem. Some of those links will appear no matter what problem you are researching. Some will offer suggestions involving the Registry.

Registry edits are a very last resort and should only be attempted after a full system backup including the registry itself.

Good work with Event Viewer.

And remember to look for Samsung's disk diagnostics - directly from Samsung's website.

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
You can try booting into safe mode - may be able to "see" the Drive D: and run diagnostics.

Or place the SSD in an external case and connect to another PC and try running the diagnostics in that manner.

Event ID 7:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/the-device-deviceharddisk0dr0-has-a-bad-block

You can google Event ID 7 and the other Event IDs as well.

No need to take any immediate actions. Simply read and keep notes. Look for some common factor with respect to he various errors.

And you may discover other related happenings that were not noticed or did not seem relevant.

Do be careful: Many "troubleshooting" links tend to offer up software solutions etc. to solve the problem. Some of those links will appear no matter what problem you are researching. Some will offer suggestions involving the Registry.

Registry edits are a very last resort and should only be attempted after a full system backup including the registry itself.

Good work with Event Viewer.

And remember to look for Samsung's disk diagnostics - directly from Samsung's website.
Thank you! I appreciate your help.

I will try and see which of the suggestions could work for my case.

Is there any way to recover data from that ssd? I have some important documents - they are very small files but I need them for my work.

Ralston18

Titan
Unfortunately anything that you do could result in further data loss and/or cause recovery problems.

There are ways to recover data and there are many such links available.

For example:

https://www.cleverfiles.com/howto/recover-data-from-failed-ssd.html

May or may not work.

There are other Forum members who have more experience with data recovery etc. than I (full disclosure) do.

Hopefully, one or more of them will offer additional suggestions.

Leave the SSD alone/do nothing pending other posts.

= = = =

And in the meantime be sure to backup all other important data. At least 2 x to locations off of the current host PC. Verify that the backups are both recoverable and readable.

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Unfortunately anything that you do could result in further data loss and/or cause recovery problems.

There are ways to recover data and there are many such links available.

For example:

https://www.cleverfiles.com/howto/recover-data-from-failed-ssd.html

May or may not work.

There are other Forum members who have more experience with data recovery etc. than I (full disclosure) do.

Hopefully, one or more of them will offer additional suggestions.

Leave the SSD alone/do nothing pending other posts.

= = = =

And in the meantime be sure to backup all other important data. At least 2 x to locations off of the current host PC. Verify that the backups are both recoverable and readable.
Until yesterday all important data was on the D drive and on the C I have only programs which can be easily found and installed again.

I will read the suggested articles and leave the corrupted ssd as it is.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks again.

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
A little update:

1. I had contacted Samsung support on 27.02 and they asked for details and pictures of the SSD, so I provided the information.
They contacted me again and told me to request an RMA number, so I did and provided the required info. Will be waiting for response.

2. One thing Samsung support told me is that they can not assist with data recovery and forwarded me to use some programs to try and do it myself. They also told me that if that doesn't help I will have to contact a third party company to help recover my data, in which case I will need to ask Samsung for permission since it will void the warranty.

3. I tried using Paragon (to recover my data), as that was one of the suggested programs by Samsung support.
Well, same thing happened as when I tried to use an USB and reinstall windows - it got stuck into loading.

Basically, as long as the faulty Samsung SSD is on I can't do anything, I can't boot to USB with Windows on to reinstall, I can't boot USB with Paragon on it to try and access the computer, to at least see the disks on it.
This SSD is like a black hole 🕳️

I don't know why it interferes in such a way, especially when the Windows is not installed on it or any of my other programs.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I'd say at this point, unfortunately, there's not much you can do and your best bet would be to get some 3rd party company to recover the data (if possible) if you absolutely need it.

In that case I'd stop trying to connect to the drive and read files from it etc. Any attempt might make data recovery more difficult or probably even impossible. As suggested above.

Generally speaking it's best to have backups of important and irreplacable files at least on 2 different medium and one placed somewhere else, not where computer and the 1st backup is.

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
I'd say at this point, unfortunately, there's not much you can do and your best bet would be to get some 3rd party company to recover the data (if possible) if you absolutely need it.

In that case I'd stop trying to connect to the drive and read files from it etc. Any attempt might make data recovery more difficult or probably even impossible. As suggested above.

Generally speaking it's best to have backups of important and irreplacable files at least on 2 different medium and one placed somewhere else, not where computer and the 1st backup is.
Seems like I'll be learning to backup my data the hard way.

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Another update:
Samsung asked me to send them the SSD, they already created an UPS label for me. I will have to pay the shipping costs and if they can't fix it and decide it's my fault, they will just return the SSD.

Another thing, I tried to go into BIOS and see if there is a problem there and it doesn't seem that the SSD is present in there. Only the SSD with Windows is detected and that's it.
https://ibb.co/ZBD3d05

IMG-20240228-175504.jpg

I wonder why the faulty SSD causes problem with loading Windows if it's not even present in the BIOS?

Last edited:

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Yes that sometimes that happens with BIOSes when a drive should be there but it's not it keeps looking and this prolongs the boot process and at times it totally fails.

I had a similar experience with a hard disk in a laptop few months back. Drive had died and it took the laptop 4-5 minutes to even go into BIOS. Took HDD out, put in an M.2 drive, installed Windwos and now boots and Windows loards in under 5 seconds.

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Yes that sometimes that happens with BIOSes when a drive should be there but it's not it keeps looking and this prolongs the boot process and at times it totally fails.

I had a similar experience with a hard disk in a laptop few months back. Drive had died and it took the laptop 4-5 minutes to even go into BIOS. Took HDD out, put in an M.2 drive, installed Windwos and now boots and Windows loards in under 5 seconds.
Did you manage to recover anything from the bad SSD?

Also, I randomly found someone on the MSI forums with the exact same problem like mine. They also have the Samsung EVO 870. But no one has really posted there with a solution.

I also found that there are a lot more people with EVO 870 failed SSDs.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Did you manage to recover anything from the bad SSD?

Also, I randomly found someone on the MSI forums with the exact same problem like mine. They also have the Samsung EVO 870. But no one has really posted there with a solution.

I also found that there are a lot more people with EVO 870 failed SSDs.

No, I didn't even bother. It was a 2.5" hard disk and I had a copy of all files I needed from it on an external hard drive.

You might want to wait and see if anyone has any experience that might help you (as suggested above). When BIOS doens't recognize a drive it's usually beyond repair and recovery at home.

All parts and drives from all brands and model fail. You found a number of people with failed EVO 870s because you searched for a solution with its name. I don't think the whole number of failed drives of any brand and model is a significant and meaningful number in relation to the total number of same make/model that are procuded. The failure rates is usually within acceptable margins.

Bad luck when a part/component fails before the MTBF for that make/model but it happens. When it comes to storage the answer is having more than one (or at least one working/readable and verified) backup.

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
No, I didn't even bother. It was a 2.5" hard disk and I had a copy of all files I needed from it on an external hard drive.

You might want to wait and see if anyone has any experience that might help you (as suggested above). When BIOS doens't recognize a drive it's usually beyond repair and recovery at home.

All parts and drives from all brands and model fail. You found a number of people with failed EVO 870s because you searched for a solution with its name. I don't think the whole number of failed drives of any brand and model is a significant and meaningful number in relation to the total number of same make/model that are procuded. The failure rates is usually within acceptable margins.

Bad luck when a part/component fails before the MTBF for that make/model but it happens. When it comes to storage the answer is having more than one (or at least one working/readable and verified) backup.
Yes, I am hoping that someone will respond with a solution, so I can at least recover my data. At the same time, as I mentioned Samsung has responded and want me to send them the SSD.

If I didn't have sensitive data on that SSD, like passwords, data collected for various projects and some crypto info I definitely would have send them the SSD or at least I wouldn't try to recover/access the data. But it seems like I won't be having much of a choice.

I will definitely back up my data from now on.

I paid twice the price for this SSD as it was supposed to be a better quality and I instead I should've bought 2x 1TB SSDs from another brand.

Any SSD brand recommendations? Would Silicon Power A55 be a good cheaper alternative, in case Samsung decides to not replace my SSD?