Question Computer Stutters after Windows 10 Update

Egres122

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015
Hello all,

So you know how the story goes, computer works fine, then all of a sudden things go wonky. I'll try to be detailed about the recent events.

Monday 7/8/2019: I downloaded Devil May Cry 5 from Steam. I also downloaded the May 2019 Update for Windows 10 later that day.

Tuesday 7/9/2019: I turn on my computer and notice it being sluggish. My cursor may take a sec to move from one point of the screen to the other. Typing may take a sec or two to generate my key strokes (it is happening as I type this out). Webpages and program windows may take a while to load. There was even a moment where Steam would flicker, though that seems to have stopped happening. Games such as DMC 5, World of Warcraft or Warframe begin showing the same freezing. The FPS counter for the games drop when the freeze happens. Audio and Video for Youtube and Netflix show no problems. I even got a BSOD that morning stating it was a Windows Stop code.

My immediate thought was virus or malware, so I ran Malwarebytes and Windows Defender on all my drives (C, E and F). Nothing malicious found. I defragmented the drives in case that was the issue. Still the stuttering happened. Tried restarting the computer, but no luck.

Wednesday 7/10/2019: So I decided to Reset Windows. I went to Settings > Update and Security > Recovery > Reset this PC. I chose to keep all my files. Eventually, Windows 10 was reinstalled. I also uninstalled the driver for my graphics card and restarted my computer so it would reinstall. The computer seemed to work fine for a few hours. But then the stutter returned at a lesser degree. Restarting the computer seemed to give it and the games I play a few stutter free hours. I then decided to check Event Viewer and saw a few errors, one of them being an svchost error, like this:

svchost (10356,R,98) TILEREPOSITORYS-1-5-18: Error -1023 (0xfffffc01) occurred while opening logfile C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\EDB.log.

I checked online and used the command prompt. I typed sfc /scannow and saw the following message:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.

One website mentioned going into Safe Mode to try and fix the issue, and while I was able to get into Safe Mode, I had no idea what to do next to fix the issue.

Thursday 7/11/2019: I basically gave up at that point and checked if I could live with the issue via restarting my computer every few hours.

Friday 7/12/2019: I decided to keep seeing if this could be fixed, and so I came here.

If you need any more information, let me know.

Computer Configuration:

CPU
Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler
Thermaltake Gravity i2 31.3 CFM CPU Cooler

Motherboard
Asus Z87-A DDR3 1600 LGA 1150 Motherboard

Memory
2 X Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM - Black (HX316C10FB/8)

Storage
Transcend SSD370 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 GV-N1080D5X-8GD 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX Video Cards

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 64-Bit

Wired Network Adapter
TP-Link TG-3468 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI-Express x1 Network Adapter

Egres122

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015
Hello,

This is a Sunday 7/14/2019 update. I was still getting stuttering, so I decided to check the task manager to see if it was a program. I noticed that during some of the stutters, Windows Shell Experience host was taking a large percentage of CPU power. A quick Google search showed that Shell controlled the Windows Slide Show. The May 2019 update for Windows 10 introduced a bunch of new features including Night Mode for all windows, and the ability to choose an accent color that automatically changes when the background changes. I had enabled the Auto-Accent feature after the update. So I believe what caused the stutters was my computer trying to keep up with all the changes my background was making since I also had Windows Slide Show enabled. I have now disabled both Windows Slide Show and Auto-Accent Coloring. Windows Shell, performance completely dropped, and so has the stutters. It doesn't occur in any game, nor with the typing.

Unfortunately, the Event Viewer is still showing svchost errors. If anyone has any idea how to fix those, the info would be appreciated. Here is one of the more recent errors that are in the log:

svchost (11664,R,98) TILEREPOSITORYS-1-5-18: Error -1023 (0xfffffc01) occurred while opening logfile C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\EDB.log.

Jul 28, 2019
Hello,

This is a Sunday 7/14/2019 update. I was still getting stuttering, so I decided to check the task manager to see if it was a program. I noticed that during some of the stutters, Windows Shell Experience host was taking a large percentage of CPU power. A quick Google search showed that Shell controlled the Windows Slide Show. The May 2019 update for Windows 10 introduced a bunch of new features including Night Mode for all windows, and the ability to choose an accent color that automatically changes when the background changes. I had enabled the Auto-Accent feature after the update. So I believe what caused the stutters was my computer trying to keep up with all the changes my background was making since I also had Windows Slide Show enabled. I have now disabled both Windows Slide Show and Auto-Accent Coloring. Windows Shell, performance completely dropped, and so has the stutters. It doesn't occur in any game, nor with the typing.

Unfortunately, the Event Viewer is still showing svchost errors. If anyone has any idea how to fix those, the info would be appreciated. Here is one of the more recent errors that are in the log:

svchost (11664,R,98) TILEREPOSITORYS-1-5-18: Error -1023 (0xfffffc01) occurred while opening logfile C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\EDB.log.
Try with reinstall gpu driver using ddu, check your ssd and hdd.

Egres122

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015
Try with reinstall gpu driver using ddu, check your ssd and hdd.

Tried using DDU. I am still getting the svchost errors. I am running a program called Crystal Disk Info that checks hard drives. Each drive is fine according to it. But the computer overall is acting fine regardless of the errors, so at this point, it is not a big deal.