Question Computer stutters every night at 1:00 AM

BinaryGreen

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014
I've noticed for a while now that my computer tends to stutter for about 10-15 seconds every night at 1:00 AM. I've tried looking in the task scheduler but I couldn't find anything that was set to run at this time or was recently run at this time.

The stutter is weird, it's not a lag, it's more of a skipping as I move my cursor, or most notably, dragging a window around the screen.

Does anyone know how to find which program / service might be causing this?

(Laptop)
I7-8750H
GTX 1060 6GB
16 GB RAM
Windows 10 Home

EDIT:
I am also getting two events 4624 and 4672, in the security (audit) category of the event viewer. These actually line up with the short stuttering:

These 2 audit logs are tied to the process "advapi".
https://www.sevenforums.com/perform...ort-freezes-accompanied-4624-4672-events.html

Also, the logon ID "0x3e7" appears at some points on my security

I'm also getting this log in the event viewer at 1:00-1:02 AM, and it seems that other people have this issue as well, however, the audit logs seem to be more frequent, whereas the ESENT log only happened 2-3 times, and not always when lagging:

DllHost (14816,G,98) The beta feature EseDiskFlushConsistency is enabled in ESENT due to the beta site mode settings 0x800000.

Last edited:

computerjoe314

Respectable
Jan 2, 2019
I've noticed for a while now that my computer tends to stutter for about 10-15 seconds every night at 1:00 AM. I've tried looking in the task scheduler but I couldn't find anything that was set to run at this time or was recently run at this time.

The stutter is weird, it's not a lag, it's more of a skipping as I move my cursor, or most notably, dragging a window around the screen.

Does anyone know how to find which program / service might be causing this?

(Laptop)
I7-8750H
GTX 1060 6GB
16 GB RAM
Windows 10 Home
I'd recommend A BIOS update, clearing the CMOS, and maybe reinstalling Windows

Colif

Win 11 Master
check in scheduled events and see if anything times to start then

could also check event viewer but I warn you, there will be errors there, there are always errors there, but many of them you can ignore as they get fixed by system - look in custom views - admin events. see if anything happens at that time each night.

it does sound like the time windows would check for updates, even if it doesn't auto download them.. it depends when your active hours are set.

BinaryGreen

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014
check in scheduled events and see if anything times to start then

could also check event viewer but I warn you, there will be errors there, there are always errors there, but many of them you can ignore as they get fixed by system - look in custom views - admin events. see if anything happens at that time each night.

it does sound like the time windows would check for updates, even if it doesn't auto download them.. it depends when your active hours are set.
I found a log in event viewer, and it has something to do with ESENT (it's in the first post), and it's been happening a few times in the past hour, and can be resolved by restarting (then it only happens again at 1 AM the next day usually).

Colif

Win 11 Master
ESENT = Extensible Storage Engine - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/desktop/extensible-storage-engine/extensible-storage-engine

lots of people with that event - https://social.technet.microsoft.co...onsistency-win10-1709?forum=win10itprogeneral

its possibly indexing
To access indexing options...

Right-click the Windows Icon to access the pop-up menu

Click [Settings] in the menu which opens Windows Settings

In the [Find a setting] search box, type (without quotes) "control panel" and click [Control Panel] in the results.

In the Control Panel change the [View By:] from [Category] to either [Icon] option and open the indexing options panel by clicking the [Indexing Options] icon.

To review and modify the index (following the above steps)...

In the Indexing Options panel, click the [Modify] button at the bottom to open the Index Locations panel

Click [Show all locations] to show hidden locations in the upper box.

(Note: On my computer, I had two invalid or incorrect locations, one listed started "CSC:// ... " and I believe I knew it was invalid by hovering the cursor over the location and reading the popup).

To eliminate an indexed location, uncheck the box next to it. (Note, that like nested folders, if you uncheck a parent folder, you also uncheck all children folders. Similarly, checking a parent folder selects the folder and all children folders as well.

After reviewing and possibly modifying the indexed locations, click [OK] to close the dialog box and complete the changes (select [Cancel] to exit without making changes). This will return you to the parent Indexing Options dialog box.

To launch the Troubleshoot Search and Index troubleshooter (following the above steps)...

In the Indexing Options dialog box, click [Advanced] to open the Advanced Options dialog box.

In the Troubleshooting section, click the underlined "Troubleshoot search and indexing" to open the troubleshooter.

When the troubleshooter form asks "What problems do you notice" appears and prompts you to "Select all that apply," click to select only the one that indicates that search or index is slowing down the computer and then click [Next] to troubleshoot for any problems.

(Note: the troubleshooter may prompt you to accept repairs or simply indicate that the corrupted index data has been repaired.)

When complete, close the troubleshooter and click the [Rebuild] button to rebuild the index. This process will take some time, but runs in the background, so you can close the Advanced dialog box and use the computer as normal until the index has been rebuilt. Once rebuilt, reboot your computer.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...how-do-i/4f94065c-0d5f-4a32-961d-56427cf82cbf

BinaryGreen

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014
This is weird, because the ESENT one appeared at 1 AM, and a few spaced over the next 20 minutes, but the 4672 and 4624 audit logs (it runs the advapi process) have appeared later than that, even without the ESENT logs, and was causing those slight stutters. For now, the stuttering has stopped for the past 30 minutes. I know it's a special and regular "impersonation" logon, but there wouldn't be the possibility that it was some sort of "external" event?

BinaryGreen

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014
2nd link suggested it might be AV. So which one are you using?
ESENT seems to be some activity on drives.

Lots of guessing but no one has come out and said.. its this

What is this "advapi" thing? It appears it's for some sort of network-related thing, but I'm not sure why it keeps showing up.