Computer suddenly slower, but in a very specific way

PineappleKnight

Reputable
Feb 2, 2016
To sum up: My computer was fine until a few days ago, where for seemingly no reason it became slower. Programs still load up instantly-near instantly, I've not noticed anything different there. Websites now load inconsistently, sometimes they load up as fast as they normally would, sometimes they take around 5-10 extra seconds, and more rarely, some websites now just consistently take much longer to load. Even more rarely, it seems sometimes websites simply refuse to load at all. To give a more in-depth example of this: last night I had a Youtube tab open, and tried to right click and open another Youtube video in a new tab.

This tab simply refused to load. I closed it, and tried multiple times to open other Youtube videos in new tabs, none of which would load. Finally, I tried going back to my original Youtube tab, and simply clicked on another video instead of trying to open one in a new tab or window. The page and video pretty much loaded right up! I should mention as well other websites loaded up just fine as this was happening. So it's as though my computer could not handle another Youtube tab or window in particular being open, even though there were not many tabs with Youtube open specifically on them at all. I have no idea what to make of that instance.

However, the main problem with this newfound issue of mine is most clearly expressed in Youtube videos, which now buffer at incredibly slow speeds at anything above 480p, especially if they are also 60 fps, which just makes it buffer even slower. I built this PC specifically in part to be able to handle 720p-1080p video at 60 fps without any issues, and have never once had an issue with having to wait for my videos to buffer until this problem appeared. Notably, the videos themselves at 720-1080p 60 fps are not choppy at all, I don't drop or lose any frames, indicating, to me at least, that the computer isn't struggling to handle the quality and framerates of the video, just something is making them buffer incredibly slowly all of the sudden. I actually have to stop watching videos to let them buffer for a bit before I can continue watching now in these higher qualities. Again, I have never once had to do something like this with this PC before this problem emerged.

Download speeds are also abysmal now, I tried downloading HWMonitor to check temperatures, and the download went on for several minutes, and eventually simply dropped. Despite it not even quite being a year old (I built it last year, around the beginning-mid May believe), I've since opened the computer up to ensure dust wasn't causing some kind of overheating to occur. Sure enough, there was barely any dust inside at all, but I still cleaned up what I could find, and unsurprisingly this has not helped the situation at all. Doing speed tests (some of which also dropped multiple times before they could get all the way through, by the way) seems to reveal very slow speeds as well, with one speed test, which I guess is provided by Google, outright telling me that my speeds shouldn't effect web browsing, but will probably make videos load slowly, which pretty much perfectly fits my current predicament.

I'm not a computer wiz or anything, so I'm really not sure what to make of everything that is happening. To me, it sort of seems this could be an issue with memory, or storage (I have both an SSD and HDD, so could be either or). But, as time goes on, it seems to me to be more and more related to my download speeds and Mbps suddenly being slower, which would be more of an issue with my service provider, right? I'm hoping people with more insights will be able to take a look at what's going on and perhaps have a more informed view as to what the problem could be, because I just feel very confused and uncertain.

Solution
None of this sounds like a problem with your PC hardware. This sounds like a problem with your modem/router/ISP since every problem you have mentioned has to do with web browsing and internet speed. Try power-cycling your modem and router (unplug them, wait about 20 seconds and then plug them back in). Also make sure that your internet browser is up to date. If you have an old router make sure it has the newest firmware.

Go to speedtest.net and see what speeds you getting. Compare them to the speeds you are paying for. If the problem persists call your ISP (never fun).

larkspur

Distinguished
None of this sounds like a problem with your PC hardware. This sounds like a problem with your modem/router/ISP since every problem you have mentioned has to do with web browsing and internet speed. Try power-cycling your modem and router (unplug them, wait about 20 seconds and then plug them back in). Also make sure that your internet browser is up to date. If you have an old router make sure it has the newest firmware.

Go to speedtest.net and see what speeds you getting. Compare them to the speeds you are paying for. If the problem persists call your ISP (never fun).

Solution