Question Computer super slow

mcas19

Reputable
Jun 8, 2018
the past 4ish months my computer has been running extraordinarily slow and I can't figure out why. Everything about it has slowed down. Internet takes longer to load, it takes longer to boot, and games are far more prone to freezing and frame drops. Task manager says that everything is well within normal bounds and checked for driver updates. My initial thought is a RAM issue, but is there a way to test that? Would really appreciate some advice, thanks!

mcas19

Reputable
Jun 8, 2018
Where do I find a full system spec? psu is Corsair CX750. I have 4 storage devices. 2 SSD (one 4 TB and one 3 TB) and 2 HDD ( 6 TB and 7 TB). None are even close to full. I don't know how to do a health check on them. I did run a deep scan using Webroot and it found nothing

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Where do I find a full system spec? psu is Corsair CX750. I have 4 storage devices. 2 SSD (one 4 TB and one 3 TB) and 2 HDD ( 6 TB and 7 TB). None are even close to full. I don't know how to do a health check on them. I did run a deep scan using Webroot and it found nothing
you can run this short benchmark and post the results it will show everything.

mcas19

Reputable
Jun 8, 2018
you can run this short benchmark and post the results it will show everything.
I think I did it right. It said it would open the report automatically but didn't, so I copied the UserRun link.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/userrun/43270983

This is the summary in case the link didn't work

Overall this PC is performing below expectations (36th percentile). This means that out of 100 PCs with exactly the same components, 64 performed better. The overall PC percentile is the average of each of its individual components. Use the charts in the benchmark sections of this report to identify problem areas.
ProcessorWith a below average single core score, this CPU can handle email, web browsing and audio/video playback but it will struggle to handle modern 3D games or workstation tasks such as video editing. Finally, with a gaming score of 43%, this CPU's suitability for 3D gaming is below average.
Graphics64% is a good 3D score. This GPU can handle the majority of recent games at high resolutions and ultra detail levels.
Boot DriveThe boot partition is located on a mechanical or hybrid drive. Moving the system to an SSD will yield far faster boot times, better system responsiveness and faster application load times.
Memory32GB is enough RAM to run any version of Windows and it's far more than any current game requires. 32GB will also allow for large file and system caches, virtual machine hosting, software development, video editing and batch multimedia processing.
OS VersionWindows 10 is the most recent version of Windows, and the best to date in our opinion.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Your memory is also running at default speed you need to enable XMP profile, I also will agree that your CPU cooler is either inadequate or has came loose.

Main problem the CPU cooler, after that is fixed enable XMP profile for the memory in BIOS.

Fatalzo

Great
May 7, 2021
Is your computer running hot?
Computers "throttle" when they get within about 20-40c below their max temperature to slow down to heat up less.
Otherwise you should check for viruses.

mcas19

Reputable
Jun 8, 2018
Userbench is reporting cpu turbo at 1.7, looks like it's throttling. Run Coretemp and look at temps and cpu speed.
It doesn't look like it's running hot. 4 cores and the min-max is between 24 and 28 deg Celsius. I don't know which of these readings is the speed though. Says power is 14-16W, frequency is about 800-1k MHz, VID is around 0.74v, Revision is R0, Lithography is 14nm, CPUID is 0x506E3, TDP is 95 Watts, Tj. Max is between 13.8 and 15 W

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Need to work the cpu to see how hot it gets and if the frequency changes at all or remains at throttle speeds.

Is fan orientation correct and working?

If it's not temp related then there's something else causing cpu to remain at low speeds. Should be running 3x the speed it's currently running at.

InvalidError

Titan
It doesn't look like it's running hot. 4 cores and the min-max is between 24 and 28 deg Celsius. I don't know which of these readings is the speed though. Says power is 14-16W, frequency is about 800-1k MHz, VID is around 0.74v, Revision is R0, Lithography is 14nm, CPUID is 0x506E3, TDP is 95 Watts, Tj. Max is between 13.8 and 15 W
Those are idle clocks, voltages and temperature. As far as idle goes, those numbers do look fine.

You need to check what happens a few minutes into a heavy load like Prime95.

There was a case a couple of years ago where someone had issues with throttling under load and it turned out that one of the heat pipes on his tower cooler had a hole in it.

mcas19

Reputable
Jun 8, 2018
Your memory is also running at default speed you need to enable XMP profile, I also will agree that your CPU cooler is either inadequate or has came loose.

Main problem the CPU cooler, after that is fixed enable XMP profile for the memory in BIOS.
I tried to look up how to set an XMP but I guess I don't have one. I looked in BIOS but there wasn't any option and when I looked it up it said not all motherboards or RAM support it. Not sure if I just missed it or if it really doesn't have the setting

mcas19

Reputable
Jun 8, 2018
Need to work the cpu to see how hot it gets and if the frequency changes at all or remains at throttle speeds.

Is fan orientation correct and working?

If it's not temp related then there's something else causing cpu to remain at low speeds. Should be running 3x the speed it's currently running at.
Fan is working and should be oriented correctly. It's the same way it's been the 3ish years I've had it installed. How to do I stress the cpu in a controlled way to watch for fluctuations?

InvalidError

Titan
I tried to look up how to set an XMP but I guess I don't have one. I looked in BIOS but there wasn't any option and when I looked it up it said not all motherboards or RAM support it. Not sure if I just missed it or if it really doesn't have the setting
IIRC, XMP was still relatively new in the 6th-gen days, so your board may not have it. You can still use CPU-Z or manufacturer specs to get the clock and timing tables, then manually enter those in BIOS.

mcas19

Reputable
Jun 8, 2018
IIRC, XMP was still relatively new in the 6th-gen days, so your board may not have it. You can still use CPU-Z or manufacturer specs to get the clock and timing tables, then manually enter those in BIOS.
Is that something I should do now or when I solve this problem? Cause I've been working with the same settings for roughly 3 years and only started having issues a few months ago

mcas19

Reputable
Jun 8, 2018
Is your computer running hot?
Computers "throttle" when they get within about 20-40c below their max temperature to slow down to heat up less.
Otherwise you should check for viruses.
It appears to be running well within normal bounds. A quick google says it can run up to 80 deg safely and when I ran the temp scan it rarely hit 28 per core

InvalidError

Titan
Is that something I should do now or when I solve this problem? Cause I've been working with the same settings for roughly 3 years and only started having issues a few months ago
You can fix the timings whenever, running the memory slow won't hurt anything other than performance.

So I loaded up a youtube vid and happened to be watching the Core Temp app while it's playing. The load instantly jumped from around 25-30% to 60-90%...
Did you mean C? 60-90% CPU load just playing a Youtube video seems awfully high.

Instant crashing in Prime95 either means that you have a power delivery issue, a very bad thermal transfer from CPU to heatsink or a defective CPU. If you ever messed around with CPU settings in BIOS, you may want to try resetting CMOS to return everything to factory defaults.

A flaky PSU could also cause instant-off/reboot on rapid load transients. If your CX750 has green lettering on it, it is an older group-regulated design and your problem could simply be that it has aged enough that it cannot keep up with Skylake's transient load anymore. If it is the newer 2017 model (white stencil) then it may still be ok. If you have convenient access to a spare PSU, you may want to try a swap.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, so it may be throttling (hence the high cpu usage because clock speed is low) or there's some other reason, setting in the bios as suggested or maybe Windows cpu state was set and forgotten about OR application doing this.