[SOLVED] Computer tries to boot up but keeps restarting.

Aug 30, 2020
Just got finished building my first pc and when i turn it on, the light on the front and the fans will come on but then shut off briefly and try again.

Had a friend helping me try taking parts in and out to shoot for better connections but nothing so far. His next suggestion was to buy a 6 to 8 pin adapter for the graphics card, because the one currently coming from the power supply has a 3x2 and a 1x2. So id be plugging the 3x2 part into a 4x2, then into the gc. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
No. Do not buy anything for the moment.

First update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Second, refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual along with the other User Guides/Manuals applicable to the components installed. In many cases the User Guides/Manuals will refer you back to the manufacturer's website for more information details. Do so and pay attention to notes and fine print.

Double check your physical build and configuration settings accordingly. Ensure that all cards, cables, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Look for troubleshooting suggestions and any explanations regarding current system behavior (symptoms), beep codes...

Ralston18

Titan
No. Do not buy anything for the moment.

First update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Second, refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual along with the other User Guides/Manuals applicable to the components installed. In many cases the User Guides/Manuals will refer you back to the manufacturer's website for more information details. Do so and pay attention to notes and fine print.

Double check your physical build and configuration settings accordingly. Ensure that all cards, cables, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Look for troubleshooting suggestions and any explanations regarding current system behavior (symptoms), beep codes, and LEDs.

Key is to identify the problem. If you start plugging in various adapters etc. there is a good chance that there will be an incompatible mismatch and that may not end well....

Solution
Aug 30, 2020
Thank you so much for the advice! I figured out the problem for now. Just took a couple a couple hours of trial and error haha. Just can't figure out how to delete a thread, but I'll be sure to do all that if I need future assistance. Thanks again!