[SOLVED] Computer turns on, but doesn't boot up?

donkeydude125

Reputable
Aug 3, 2019
Here's my part list https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/donklyknob/saved/b24Jbv
If you need any other info just tell me, I WILL get back to you soon.
So I press the power button which makes the fans spin and lights turn on and thats it, I also hear a quiet "brrrrrmmm" noise for a few seconds, I dunno if that means anything. And yes I plugged the Display Port into the GPU, but I tried the motherboard too.
What I've tried already:
Switching the RAM sticks around
Making sure it isn't the monitor
Both Display Port and HDMI cables

I did some research and a lot of them said it had to do something with the Power Supply, well mine is 550 W and the parts together need around 350-400 W, is it not enough?
Another reason may be the RAM sticks are damaged, I was being as gentle as i possibly could, but I needed to use quite a bit of force to get em in. do they get damaged THAT easily?! I also didn't touch the pins.

Also if I can't figure it out here, could someone tell me where I could go to get it fixed? Like a different website or IRL store/place?

Solution
I would advise not listening to this person in the future; this is a basic, very important issue with motherboards, and he left you high and dry through ignorance!

Most motherboards that support CPUs that came out after the former were released require BIOS updates to work. b350 motherboards you find retail are typically not going to have these updates. When the older motherboards are still being produced, you'll see a version number with changes, but there's no general recall for the originally produced incompatible motherboards.

Your options from best to worst:

- Return the motherboard, order a b450 motherboard, and hopefully ask your friend to pay for the shipping since it appears he screwed you over a bit.

- Find a local...

donkeydude125

Reputable
Aug 3, 2019
Is this a build that was previously working or a new build? It's very helpful to tell us all the circumstances. If this is a new build, how did you verify that this b350 had previously had its BIOS updated in order to be able to run a 2600?
Its a new build, and to be honest im not the one who chose the parts, i had someone else do it. I talked to him about the "compatibility issue" warning on my parts list, but he basically said dont worry about it. I thought it would just work. Do i need different parts?

DSzymborski

Titan
I would advise not listening to this person in the future; this is a basic, very important issue with motherboards, and he left you high and dry through ignorance!

Most motherboards that support CPUs that came out after the former were released require BIOS updates to work. b350 motherboards you find retail are typically not going to have these updates. When the older motherboards are still being produced, you'll see a version number with changes, but there's no general recall for the originally produced incompatible motherboards.

- Return the motherboard, order a b450 motherboard, and hopefully ask your friend to pay for the shipping since it appears he screwed you over a bit.

- Find a local computer shop that is willing to update the BIOS for you.

- Contact AMD and get a loaner CPU.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

- Buy a very basic original Ryzen CPU and use that to update the BIOS.

Solution

donkeydude125

Reputable
Aug 3, 2019

- Find a local computer shop that is willing to update the BIOS for you.

- Contact AMD and get a loaner CPU.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

- Buy a very basic original Ryzen CPU and use that to update the BIOS.
I mean i talked to the guy for a while and he seemed to know what he was talking about, he actually helped me out quite a bit, but that aside. I think i would rather:
-Update the bios or
-Get a b450 motherboard

Im gonna go to a few retail stores today to see if they can update it, but i dunno how they would do that.. I dont know how much better buying a 450 motherboard would be vs updating mine.

But if that doesn't work out im gonna order a new motherboard. So could you help me out with that? I know its gotta be 450 + but thats it, i need one thats still compatible with all my other parts. I REALLY don't replace the rest if i don't have to like the power supply, getting a better motherboard is gonna increase the wattage right? Here the first 3 ones i saw that would work:

3. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/hpRzK8/gigabyte-b450m-ds3h-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-ds3h

The 1st one says "tomahawk" so i thought that would just be a direct upgrade of mine, but still compatible with my parts?

The 2nd one just looks cooler for what seems to be the same price, but i have no idea if it works with my parts.

The 3rd one caught my eye cuz it was 450 and barely $100 CAD, but i feel like thats too cheap to be a good one.

You think you could help me choose? Or maybe you know better ones? (That arent over $200 CAD)

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
b450 motherboards don't require any more power. They're just newer. Either of the boards would work for you.

A retail store won't update it. I mean an actual computer repair store. One option I left out was contacting MSI: they ought to be willing to upgrade if you send it to them, though that will still require time and money.

donkeydude125

Reputable
Aug 3, 2019
b450 motherboards don't require any more power. They're just newer. Either of the boards would work for you.

A retail store won't update it. I mean an actual computer repair store. One option I left out was contacting MSI: they ought to be willing to upgrade if you send it to them, though that will still require time and money.
Can you name some places i could bring it to in canada? Preferebly in alberta. Also what is msi?