Computer turns on, but no display on monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruce20

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Hi guys,

I just started my PC after a while & it turns on, lights turn on, but there is no display on the monitor.

I did some research on Google about this issue & did a few things.

1). I removed all the hardware, except the processor & power supply. It turned on, but same issue.
2). I also tried removing the RAM, & then by switching the RAM slot, but still no use.
3). I removed my HD 3450 512MB graphics card & plugged the monitor into the Built-In Monitor port & vice versa (in the graphics card), but no use.
4). I removed the hard disk & DVD ROM & changed their power cords, but no use.
5). I removed the computer cord & pressed & held the "ON" button for 30 to 60 seconds, but no use.

It was working fine a couple of weeks ago, but then I turned it on & it was not working anymore. By the way, when I turned it on, it acted a little weird before going dark. Actually, when I turned it on, it took a long time to get to display & then Windows was also working weirdly, then I restarted a couple of times & I thought it was my hard disk (which sometimes have power cord issue that works fine if we change it), but its not that.

Any idea how to fix this issue or what is wrong with my computer?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
If trying the on-board display (connecting the monitor to the motherboard back panel) still not having any display could be a serious problem.

Try clearing CMOS and try the on-board VGA again (the dedicated, not installed).

If it's still not displaying, it could be that the motherboard or monitor died.

rdc85

Honorable
If trying the on-board display (connecting the monitor to the motherboard back panel) still not having any display could be a serious problem.

Try clearing CMOS and try the on-board VGA again (the dedicated, not installed).

If it's still not displaying, it could be that the motherboard or monitor died.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

bruce20

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

OK. Please tell me, How to Clear CMOS?

rdc85

Honorable
First unplug/disconnect all power source for all device (monitor, speaker, cpu, etc....)

In the mobo there a silver coin like battery (CMOS battery), remove it for 5 min.. (make sure no device is connected to power source/electricity)

Then re-install it after 5 minutes...

it will clear CMOS and reset the bios setting to it's default state (factory setting)....

bruce20

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

Oh well, I did this. I pulled the small battery out for 10-15 minutes. Then pushed the ON button a couple of times. Put the battery back in & turned it on, but still no display. :(

rdc85

Honorable
I'm afraid this out of my league,...

After clearing cmos and using integrated/onboard graphic still do not post indicate more serius problems...

I think the mobo is dead, but I'm cannot said it for sure.....

umairshariff23

Honorable
May 25, 2012
I once had a problem like this, i had shipped my new desktop from my homeplace to my college, i tried pretty much everything that you listed and maybe more, in the end i gave it to one of the it guys at my college, he said the motherboard got shocked, got that swapped out and been running fine since then

bruce20

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

Something interesting happened today. I took it to a local motherboard repair center, they plugged in & pushed the button, it actually gave the Display, BUT just the Display of the MSI Welcome Screen & stuck their. It didn't proceeded. The tech guy check it with my Graphics Card and then with Onboard vga, same thing happened both times and display showed up & stuck at the MSI welcome screen. No Keyboard input worked or no Setup or BIOS entry.

I told the guy to check the board & he highlighted its overheating.

Any thoughts on this one? What could be the Problem then?

rdc85

Honorable
Looks like the mobo is faulty...

it hard to pin point the problems it could be one component in the board fail, it could be the heat sink is loosened, etc...

If changing the mobo fix the issue then I think that the best solution...
it will quite hard to fix failed mobo....

bruce20

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

Yes, I think I should replace the mobo. Even if it works, I've doubts it will support the Upgraded processor I'm planning to get for it.

Thanks.

Flying_Ace09

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014
When I had this I just got done putting a new processor in. When I took it off the pins were bent on the processor. When I put them back to normal and put it back in it worked fine. The pins are very delegate.

c0mrade5

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014

Arjun SV

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014
Turn off ur pc remove the cmos battery first, then short it by the help of a screw driver(u can see a silver metal with positive and negative, short them)
Then clean ur ram(remember u must very careful while inserting ram)
Then switch on ur computer a black screen asking Cmos time and so and so automatically it moves to ur desktop screen after that by turning off again u can insert cmos battery and on ur PC again and adjust the time...when desktop screen appears again...

Mic Macalla

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014

>> REMOVE CMOS BATTERY FOR 10 SEC then put it BACK then try to open ng unit your CMOS now WAS RESET...

vickysona

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014

farooksurvey

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014

in motherboard there is a small jumper with three identical pins. just unplug the jumper and replug it...

765Alpha

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
My computer had a very similar problem and it turned out to be a faulty PSU. It sometimes would boot up for 15 min, then it would freeze. After a restart there was no way to get a display again.

Hope this helps.

alsan ali

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015

To clear CMOS remove a hardware that looks like a Lithium cell battery. Then put it back again.

joseph santos

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.