[SOLVED] Computer turns on for a split second and then shuts off.

xray559

Commendable
Jan 2, 2020
I've been having an issue where my PC turns on for a split second after pressing power button, and then quickly turns off. After it does that, I turn it on again and it boots into windows. The thing is, this happened before and caused a blue screen not too long after reinstalling windows after a first incident. And I fear that I'll get a blue screen again. The first time where a blue screen occurred was after canceling a PC restart after accidentally pressing the windows 10 "restart" button. After I got the blue screen, I reinstalled windows 10 with a repair drive and everything was fine cept my data lol. Few days after the reinstallation I've started to have the "Turn on for a split second and then turn off" issue. Help please?

Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 six core CPU
Gtx 1060 6gb
8.00gb viper ram
A320M PRO-VH PLUS (MS-7B07)

Solution
C
Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS (MS-7B07)
BIOS: 3.90, 05/07/2018
Guess that bios is this one, "Version 7B07v39 Release Date 2018-05-08". Many new bios after that one so might be good to update it if not having problems when being in the bios.

Latest non betabios is "Version 7B07v3E Release Date 2019-01-23 " , but there is a beta bios "Version 7B07v3GS(Beta version) from 2019-12-04 " so pretty recent with quite alot of improvements. Would suggest to update to this one.
Usually this is due to memory configuration and training problems.

Make sure your memory is installed in the second and fourth slots over from the CPU if you have TWO DIMMs installed. In the second one over from the CPU if you have only one.

Also, make sure to go into the BIOS and set the XMP memory profile.

What speed is your memory kit supposed to be, and what speed is it actually running at?

How many DIMMs do you have and what is the exact model of your memory kit?

xray559

Commendable
Jan 2, 2020
Usually this is due to memory configuration and training problems.

Make sure your memory is installed in the second and fourth slots over from the CPU if you have TWO DIMMs installed. In the second one over from the CPU if you have only one.

Also, make sure to go into the BIOS and set the XMP memory profile.

What speed is your memory kit supposed to be, and what speed is it actually running at?

How many DIMMs do you have and what is the exact model of your memory kit?
My memory speed is 1067
Only have one 8gb viper ram stick. I don't know the exact model of the RAM. And the motherboard only has two memory slots. What's the Xmp memory profile?

Ok, so that's actually 2133mhz, which is the default speed for practically all DDR4 memory.

So you have a few issues here. One, we don't know what speed the memory is SUPPOSED to be running at, because you don't know the model. Easily fixed. Download CPU-Z, click on the SPD tab. Select the DIMM slot from the drop down menu in the top left corner that contains your memory module and look on the far right column in the timings table for the one that says XMP-(Your actual memory speed) and tell me what it says next to XMP and what it says in the "Frequency column"

I am only interested in the far right column, usually the fourth one. I am not interested in the ones titled JEDEC # whatever.

Second, you have only one DIMM, which means you are not going to get dual channel performance, but that is only a performance issue and is not related to the boot cycle issue.

Once I know the model of your memory kit, I can help more.

xray559

Commendable
Jan 2, 2020
Ok, so that's actually 2133mhz, which is the default speed for practically all DDR4 memory.

So you have a few issues here. One, we don't know what speed the memory is SUPPOSED to be running at, because you don't know the model. Easily fixed. Download CPU-Z, click on the SPD tab. Select the DIMM slot from the drop down menu in the top left corner that contains your memory module and look on the far right column in the timings table for the one that says XMP-(Your actual memory speed) and tell me what it says next to XMP and what it says in the "Frequency column"

I am only interested in the far right column, usually the fourth one. I am not interested in the ones titled JEDEC # whatever.

Second, you have only one DIMM, which means you are not going to get dual channel performance, but that is only a performance issue and is not related to the boot cycle issue.

Once I know the model of your memory kit, I can help more.

I've been having an issue where my PC turns on for a split second after pressing power button, and then quickly turns off. After it does that, I turn it on again and it boots into windows. The thing is, this happened before and caused a blue screen not too long after reinstalling windows after a first incident. And I fear that I'll get a blue screen again. The first time where a blue screen occurred was after canceling a PC restart after accidentally pressing the windows 10 "restart" button. After I got the blue screen, I reinstalled windows 10 with a repair drive and everything was fine cept my data lol. Few days after the reinstallation I've started to have the "Turn on for a split second and then turn off" issue. Help please?

Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 six core CPU
Gtx 1060 6gb
8.00gb viper ram
A320M PRO-VH PLUS (MS-7B07)
1067mhz is 2133mhz?

Computer memory, most of it anyhow, is DDR. That stands for Double Data Rate.

Double data rate is can be technically explained, but the easiest way to explain it for the average person is that any DDR memory is double the actual speed of the memory because it is performing functions twice per cycle. SO, if the memory is showing up as 1200mhz, then it's actually 2400mhz DDR. If it's showing as 1500mhz, then it's actually 3000mhz DDR.

Your memory SHOULD be running at 2400mhz, but it is ONLY running at 2133mhz. 1067 x2 (For double data rate) is 2134 (2133 common) mhz.

So, you need to go into the BIOS and set the XMP profile for your memory after making sure you have it installed in the second slot over from the CPU. As seen here:

UB6JJIp.png

xray559

Commendable
Jan 2, 2020
Computer memory, most of it anyhow, is DDR. That stands for Double Data Rate.

Double data rate is can be technically explained, but the easiest way to explain it for the average person is that any DDR memory is double the actual speed of the memory because it is performing functions twice per cycle. SO, if the memory is showing up as 1200mhz, then it's actually 2400mhz DDR. If it's showing as 1500mhz, then it's actually 3000mhz DDR.

Your memory SHOULD be running at 2400mhz, but it is ONLY running at 2133mhz. 1067 x2 (For double data rate) is 2134 (2133 common) mhz.

So, you need to go into the BIOS and set the XMP profile for your memory after making sure you have it installed in the second slot over from the CPU. As seen here:

UB6JJIp.png
Ah, alright. So I put the RAM in the slot next to the first, because I only have two memory slots? Also, what's memory training? Like Overclocking?

No, that's my bad. Sorry. I didn't realize you had a micro ATX board with only two DIMM slots. Since the manual for your board does not designate a primary slot for single DIMM installation, I don't think it really matters. If it fits into the A1 slot with no CPU cooler interference, then use that one, which is closest to the CPU. If not, use the other one. I think there is little difference with this specific configuration.

You do however still want to enable the XMP profile in the BIOS. And, it would be a really good idea to get an identical module at some point and install that, not just for the extra memory capacity, but because that will give you dual channel operation and double the memory bandwidth.

xray559

Commendable
Jan 2, 2020
No, that's my bad. Sorry. I didn't realize you had a micro ATX board with only two DIMM slots. Since the manual for your board does not designate a primary slot for single DIMM installation, I don't think it really matters. If it fits into the A1 slot with no CPU cooler interference, then use that one, which is closest to the CPU. If not, use the other one. I think there is little difference with this specific configuration.

You do however still want to enable the XMP profile in the BIOS. And, it would be a really good idea to get an identical module at some point and install that, not just for the extra memory capacity, but because that will give you dual channel operation and double the memory bandwidth.
Yeah. Where is the xmp memory located in the bios (found it I think)? And what do I set it too? And a couple of times my computer had problems loading into the bios during the blue screen problem. Pressed the key to enter the bios and just got a black screen. And I increased the dram frequency to 2400mhz before the blue screen. It sadly caused a longer windows start time and I think made the problem worse. But DRAM Freq is not what I have to change, right? In the bios I see
Dram setting
A-XMP [profile 1]
and underneath is profile 1 and 2
Profile 1 has DDR4 2133MHz
profile 2 has DDR4 2400MHz
Do I select profile 2?

Update: Exited out of the bios after not changing anything and got a long grey loading screen on reboot. Is that normal? Never happened in a startup or reboot before.

Last edited:

xray559

Commendable
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah. Where is the xmp memory located in the bios (found it I think)? And what do I set it too? And a couple of times my computer had problems loading into the bios during the blue screen problem. Pressed the key to enter the bios and just got a black screen. And I increased the dram frequency to 2400mhz before the blue screen. It sadly caused a longer windows start time and I think made the problem worse. But thats not what I have to change, right? In the bios I see
Dram setting
A-XMP [profile 1]
and underneath is profile 1 and 2
Profile 1 has DDR4 2133MHz
profile 2 has DDR4 2400MHz
Do I select profile 2?
and my DDR Voltage is 1.088v if that relates

xray559

Commendable
Jan 2, 2020
Not only should it not cause problems, it SHOULD resolve the problems you are seeing with the double or triple boot cycle. It should also run somewhat more stable and potentially a little bit faster too.
Alright, thanks! I'll give it a try. Is changing dram frequency related to a-xmp profile change?

Need to know the EXACT part/kit/model number of your memory kit so we can check to see if Patriot says those sticks are compatible with that board. Most memory will run at the default settings but only compatible memory will run at it's advertised XMP profile settings without a lot of reconfiguration.

For now, I'd go back into the BIOS and manually set the memory speed to 2933mhz, save settings, exit BIOS and see how it does.

xray559

Commendable
Jan 2, 2020
Need to know the EXACT part/kit/model number of your memory kit so we can check to see if Patriot says those sticks are compatible with that board. Most memory will run at the default settings but only compatible memory will run at it's advertised XMP profile settings without a lot of reconfiguration.

For now, I'd go back into the BIOS and manually set the memory speed to 2933mhz, save settings, exit BIOS and see how it does.
How do I find out the model?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Can do the next,it usually gives partnrs for ram as well,

download hwinfo,
install and open it=click run,
close the top window which is the system summary,
in the main window at the left top click "save report",
at the bottom of the next window check "Summary for Clipboard",
after that you'll see what's in the pc,
copy by clicking "copy to clipboard" and rightclick+paste in your next respons

xray559

Commendable
Jan 2, 2020
No it isn't.
Computer: MSI MS-7B07
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (Pinnacle Ridge, PiR-B2)
3400 MHz (34.00x100.0) @ 1399 MHz (14.00x100.0)
Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS (MS-7B07)
BIOS: 3.90, 05/07/2018
Chipset: AMD A320 (Promontory)
Memory: 8192 MBytes @ 1066 MHz, 16-16-16-39
- 8192 MB PC19200 DDR4 SDRAM - Patriot Memory (PDP Systems) 2400 C16 Series
Graphics: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 AMP!/Mini
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, 6144 MB GDDR5 SDRAM
Drive: ADATA SU655, 117.2 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Drive: TOSHIBA HDWD110, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Drive: ADATA SU800, 500.1 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s <-> USB
Sound: NVIDIA GP106 - High Definition Audio Controller
Sound: AMD Zen - HD Audio Controller
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (x64) Build 18363.535 (1909/November 2019 Update)

My bad. On Hwinfo