Computer Turns On Then Off.

thomasd221

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Hi, i got a system that was abput to be thrown away, i was told it had problems, but it's a really well specced system for free. So, first off, i'll give you my specs then explain the problem:

AMD Phenom x2 555 @3.2GHz
Asrock 770 Extreme 3.
4GB DDR3 ram (Known to be working)
450W aopen power supply, this is a heavy duty power supply and weighs a ton!

My problem:

I turn on the computer, hard drive spins up, lights come on, but after around 5 seconds, the computer will turn off and i have to open the case, take off the 24pin connector and put it back on to get any response from the system.

I can get it on, but only rarely, i have a fiddle around with the jumpers on the motherboard, sometimes it starts, most of the time it will not, but when it's on, it's rock stable and has no issues, you just can't turn it off.

Any Ideas?

Cheers!

proffet

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
sell the motherboard for parts and/or trash it and that power supply.
one try is too clear CMOS and pulling battery on motherboard.
try a new power supply.

then (once it doesn't work and you trash it) take the RAM and the processor (X2 555) and set yourself up a HTPC unit.

InvalidError

Titan

While it is easy and mostly logical to believe that weight = quality, some unscrupulous no-name Asian PSU manufacturers actually have FAKE transformers made of concrete to add weight and trick people into thinking the PSU is of better quality than it really is.

I'm not saying that your specific AOpen PSU is one such unit but it is known to happen.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/blog/Hantol-PSU-Fake-PFC-Made-of-Cement/220

proffet

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
try it with a new power supply and then if it doesn't work the motherboard is trashed.
probably blown from the power supply in the first place.

thomasd221

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

How can the motherboard be fried if it turns on sometimes? I can't find a diagram of where the jumpers should be, do you know where it could be?

proffet

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

that's right and you did say that you have had it stable before.?
I got this and another thread confused.
my apologies.

thomasd221

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

It's fine, thanks for the manual too. Will try it tomorrow.