[SOLVED] Computer uses up RAM when no programs running

Dgholson53

Honorable
May 29, 2014
If my computer is left on over night, the next morning the RAM usage will be ~90%. I have 16gb of ram and when using Task manager and Process Explorer it doesnt show any programs using any memory.... The only way I have found to get the ram usage to go down temporarily is to restart my PC. Has anyone ever seen this problem before? Any ideas are appreciated.

Solution
I'd say you definitely have a memory leak Ram is supposed to be dynamic, software borrows a little, uses it and when done, returns it to the memory available pool. A leak is when the software is done, but for some reason the allocated ram is not returned to usable status.

The hardest part about dealing with a memory leak is finding it, especially in Windows 10 as there are simply So many drivers, services, processes starting, stopping at any given time. So your best bet is to try killing it on accident. Make sure ALL 3rd party software, Windows, motherboard chipset drivers (Lan, audio, Sata, pcie, USB family etc), gpu drivers is the latest possible, that includes your AV and malwarebytes. I'd also download and use ccleaner from...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd say you definitely have a memory leak Ram is supposed to be dynamic, software borrows a little, uses it and when done, returns it to the memory available pool. A leak is when the software is done, but for some reason the allocated ram is not returned to usable status.

The hardest part about dealing with a memory leak is finding it, especially in Windows 10 as there are simply So many drivers, services, processes starting, stopping at any given time. So your best bet is to try killing it on accident. Make sure ALL 3rd party software, Windows, motherboard chipset drivers (Lan, audio, Sata, pcie, USB family etc), gpu drivers is the latest possible, that includes your AV and malwarebytes. I'd also download and use ccleaner from piriform.com, run that default several times and also use the registry cleaner (say Yes! to backups) several times as temp files and orphans can also screw up memory allocation in dead ends.

Solution

Dgholson53

Honorable
May 29, 2014

The hardest part about dealing with a memory leak is finding it, especially in Windows 10 as there are simply So many drivers, services, processes starting, stopping at any given time. So your best bet is to try killing it on accident. Make sure ALL 3rd party software, Windows, motherboard chipset drivers (Lan, audio, Sata, pcie, USB family etc), gpu drivers is the latest possible, that includes your AV and malwarebytes. I'd also download and use ccleaner from piriform.com, run that default several times and also use the registry cleaner (say Yes! to backups) several times as temp files and orphans can also screw up memory allocation in dead ends.
Thanks for the ideas! I will try and do a few of those things today. I usually run Ccleaner and GlaryUntilities frequently, but ill make sure to get every driver up to date!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's what's so hard. It doesn't. A process starts, is allocated 300Mb of ram. Process ends, usage 300Mb. (but your total didn't get returned back to 15.7Gb, it's now 15.4Gb, missing 300Mb that's allocated but not in use) . Couple minutes later, being a regular background task, process starts again, gets allocated 300Mb more ram, ends, usage 300Mb. But now you only have 14.8Gb of usable ram.

Vista used to have the ability to track and see where ram was allocated, Win10 didn't get that handed on. Over several hours (overnight), all that allocated, but unused ram adds up, only being reset by a reset which wipes the cmos and applies a fresh boot.

Programs that track usage won't work, the process/service only uses what it's actually allocated. They don't track allocated ram that is not freed up to return to the pool.

Dgholson53

Honorable
May 29, 2014
That's what's so hard. It doesn't. A process starts, is allocated 300Mb of ram. Process ends, usage 300Mb. (but your total didn't get returned back to 15.7Gb, it's now 15.4Gb, missing 300Mb that's allocated but not in use) . Couple minutes later, being a regular background task, process starts again, gets allocated 300Mb more ram, ends, usage 300Mb. But now you only have 14.8Gb of usable ram.

Vista used to have the ability to track and see where ram was allocated, Win10 didn't get that handed on. Over several hours (overnight), all that allocated, but unused ram adds up, only being reset by a reset which wipes the cmos and applies a fresh boot.

Programs that track usage won't work, the process/service only uses what it's actually allocated. They don't track allocated ram that is not freed up to return to the pool.
That makes sense. I wish Microsoft would have atleast created a program to track all allocated ram even if it wasnt built straight into windows 10.... I think im just going to end up doing a clean wipe of my Windows 10. Will probably be the fastest way instead of trying to hunt down something I cant see.

That makes sense. I wish Microsoft would have atleast created a program to track all allocated ram even if it wasnt built straight into windows 10.... I think im just going to end up doing a clean wipe of my Windows 10. Will probably be the fastest way instead of trying to hunt down something I cant see.
Resource monitor (Task Manager->[Performance] tab->[Open Resource Monitor] link button on lower left. The resource monitor [memory] tab that will break it down by task. If it's not a system managed pool (ie: App) You should be able to see what is eating it up.

Dgholson53

Honorable
May 29, 2014
Resource monitor (Task Manager->[Performance] tab->[Open Resource Monitor] link button on lower left. The resource monitor [memory] tab that will break it down by task. If it's not a system managed pool (ie: App) You should be able to see what is eating it up.
Doesnt seem to show anything differnt than Task Manager... All it shows me is programs running on my computer. None of which are taking up more than 250,000 KB (.25GB)....