[SOLVED] Computer whirs/works hard when gaming AND running nothing.

Mar 18, 2020
I have a custom built PC but honestly know little about it. Recently it's been whirring very loudly for little to no reason, and I'm afraid for its life. I've had it for almost 7 years, but I feel as if I've kept the components up-to-date enough.

• It will whir when I game (ex games; World of Warcraft, Skyrim, Greedfall, Death Stranding [which is a stretch to attempt], etc.), but I'm sure at this point if I played Solitaire it would do the same.
  • It will whir when I open Google Chrome.
  • It will whir when I have several work-related chrome tabs open, but nothing strenuous happening (aka. no videos, music, programs).
  • It will whir when I have zero running on it, no windows open, nothing - just sitting there having off and on bouts of trying to mimic a muffled lawn mower while I'm in the other room. In the past I'd leave it on, but now I shut it down because I'm scared it's preparing to explode.

What the issue is may be obvious to some of ya'll, which is why I come here for advice. Wouldn't know where to start, or if I should take it in.

Computer Specs (I'd have to open up my computer to get the brand of PSU or the fans - but if it's helpful or relevant, I'll definitely do it):

• Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @3.40GHz *
*Alternates between 25% - 75% from 1 second to another when playing a game like Greedfall; opening Chrome jumps it sharply to 90-100% utilization when it first opens as well as randomly with several work tabs open - the most steady point is 75% when playing game.
  • Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68-V Rev 1.xx
  • Installed RAM: 16 GB
  • System Type: 64-but operating system, x64-based processor
  • Edition: Windows 10 Home
  • Storage Drives: 4 total [1 has ~460GB, 3 others have ~900GB]
  • GPU: Radeon RX 580 Series*
*When playing a game like Greedfall, alternates between 65-90% utilization with the temp going up to 75 degrees Celsius - the most steady point is 75% utilization when playing.

Solution
I have a custom built PC but honestly know little about it. Recently it's been whirring very loudly for little to no reason, and I'm afraid for its life. I've had it for almost 7 years, but I feel as if I've kept the components up-to-date enough.

• It will whir when I game (ex games; World of Warcraft, Skyrim, Greedfall, Death Stranding [which is a stretch to attempt], etc.), but I'm sure at this point if I played Solitaire it would do the same.
  • It will whir when I have several work-related chrome tabs open, but nothing strenuous happening (aka. no videos, music, programs).
  • It will whir when I have zero running on it, no windows open, nothing - just sitting there...

• It will whir when I have zero running on it, no windows open, nothing - just sitting there having off and on bouts of trying to mimic a muffled lawn mower while I'm in the other room. In the past I'd leave it on, but now I shut it down because I'm scared it's preparing to explode.
What the issue is may be obvious to some of ya'll, which is why I come here for advice. Wouldn't know where to start, or if I should take it in.

Computer Specs (I'd have to open up my computer to get the brand of PSU or the fans - but if it's helpful or relevant, I'll definitely do it):

• Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @3.40GHz *
*Alternates between 25% - 75% from 1 second to another when playing a game like Greedfall; opening Chrome jumps it sharply to 90-100% utilization when it first opens as well as randomly with several work tabs open - the most steady point is 75% when playing game.
  • Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68-V Rev 1.xx
  • Installed RAM: 16 GB
  • System Type: 64-but operating system, x64-based processor
  • Edition: Windows 10 Home
  • Storage Drives: 4 total [1 has ~460GB, 3 others have ~900GB]
  • GPU: Radeon RX 580 Series*
*When playing a game like Greedfall, alternates between 65-90% utilization with the temp going up to 75 degrees Celsius - the most steady point is 75% utilization when playing.
Fans speeding up is caused by high temperatures only. Check BIOS if you can adjust the curve so they peek at over 80c which is still good enough for that CPU.
Same goes for GPU but you need to adjust fans curve in Radeon software.

Solution
Mar 18, 2020
Fans speeding up is caused by high temperatures only. Check BIOS if you can adjust the curve so they peek at over 80c which is still good enough for that CPU.
Same goes for GPU but you need to adjust fans curve in Radeon software.

Wicked, thanks. I'll be checking these things out. Though... would you happen to know why the temps would go up at random and insta-trigger the fans full force when all I do is open a single window of Chrome, or even more, if there's zero running and the computer is just sitting there? That's what confuses me most.

Wicked, thanks. I'll be checking these things out. Though... would you happen to know why the temps would go up at random and insta-trigger the fans full force when all I do is open a single window of Chrome, or even more, if there's zero running and the computer is just sitting there? That's what confuses me most.
CPU temps go up when CPU usage, and with it voltage goes up when OS and software demands it, so it's all up to them, hardware only does what it's told to do, can't blame HW.
Obviously, more powerful CPU is, less it will react to demands and better cooling can soak up some of heat energy coming from CPU making it react slower and more efficient with lower temperature which causes fans not to speed up as much or as fast.