Jan 8, 2009
Specs:
MB: Asus P8z68-V LX
CPU: i5- 2380p 3.1
PSU: PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 550Ti
HDD: 120g Agility SSD

When my PC tower stands vertically I get a memok error. The board sends a 1 long 2 short beeps and repeats. I click and hold the memok button and it runs through it process configuring the RAM. After it finishes it still won't boot and the memok is still in error. I've reseated and reseated the RAM and nothing works, then I lay my case on the side and I get the memok error, click button to configure and it does.

The MB posts and I'm able to access the bios. I notice that the 1333 ram is set at 1600, I change it and I'm able to install windows.

I turn the computer off, turn it vertical and the memok error is back. Lay it horizontal and it's fine. Boots up and loads into windows.

I'm going to be calling ASUS tomorrow after work, but I'm curious if anyone knows what would cause this? I'm hoping it's just bad RAM but Im not sure why it would error vertically and not horizontally.

H2os

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I've looked it over and over. As far as I can tell its plugged and connected, I'll look over the screws tomorrow incase I missed something. Ive been doing some searching. Would a grounding issue cause this?

H2os

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I had a lot of trouble getting the CPUs heat sink on. I'll try reseating that after work.

Edit: I'm looking at it briefly before work and the heats sink is firmly in place.