[SOLVED] Computer won't boot to BIOS, CPU suspected

Jul 31, 2019
I've just spent a few months trying to fix this thing, and I'm running out of ideas on what the problem could be.

Nearly a few weeks after it was built, I was having a problem where it would power on, turn itself off, turn itself on again, and then would boot as normal. I had left it alone as it seemed to work just fine, just took longer to boot properly. Fast forward to those few months ago, where there seemed to be no out put from the video card (Rx470). Then, it wouldn't boot unless the GPU was removed from the motherboard (as in, wouldn't go through the on/off/on->boot cycle). Sometimes, it wouldn't boot at all, and for whatever reason, I found that that taking CPU out and putting it back in seemed to help fix that. I got video output once from the GPU while testing it but can't replicate it, so I'm not sure the GPU is shot.

What I thought had been the underlying problem seemed to the motherboard. One of the pins on the CPU socket had been bent, and so the replacement motherboard came in today. It's just been put together with the bare minimum to boot to BIOS (CPU, RAM), and I'm not getting any video output at all from the motherboard. It's not going through POST either. If it's not the motherboard, since that's new, it's either the RAM or the CPU, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what the underlying problems are. Any ideas?

Motherboard: ASUS B360M-A / ASUS H110m-a/m.2 (Old)
CPU: Intel i5 6600k
RAM: 8GB DDR4 from Crucial

Last edited:
Solution
I looked some more into it, and looks like you're right. New one only got here today, so no, not for the past few months. I've put an order in for an ASUS B250M-A, and I'll get back to you when that arrives.
300 series doesn't support 6th gen processors . There are some modded china boards and different things that would suggest otherwise . But that's you're issue with not being able to post or anything for that matter . Yes they do have the same socket type 1151 . But they are not supported . I learned this lesson myself a couple of months back . For whatever reason when intel released the 8th gen line they didn't bother changing the socket type causing confusion .
Jul 31, 2019

Forgot to mention: I had tested with a known good PSU, and it doesn't seem to be that. CPU didn't appear to be damaged from the outside, but I have no way to tell if the internal components have been.

Edit: Read the question more carefully. Gave it a good look through with a magnifying glass. No bent pins on the socket as far as I can tell.

Test with another known good power supply. Did you check to make sure nothing was damaged when you installed the CPU like more bent pins?

I can't boot the computer at all, so I can't get into the BIOS using the OS.

Last edited:

Mcleese902

Great
May 19, 2019
I looked some more into it, and looks like you're right. New one only got here today, so no, not for the past few months. I've put an order in for an ASUS B250M-A, and I'll get back to you when that arrives.
300 series doesn't support 6th gen processors . There are some modded china boards and different things that would suggest otherwise . But that's you're issue with not being able to post or anything for that matter . Yes they do have the same socket type 1151 . But they are not supported . I learned this lesson myself a couple of months back . For whatever reason when intel released the 8th gen line they didn't bother changing the socket type causing confusion .

Reactions: valeman2012
Solution

TRENDING THREADS