Computer wont completely boot

jowilly1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've got an Athlon 700 T-bird and a FIC SD-11 MB with 128mb of kensington memory. I have a 300W PS. Sometimes when I boot up, my screen stays blank and hard drive keeps running. I end up hitting reset or turning computer on and off using switch in back. Any idea what may be causing this?

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Reset your BIOS to default.
Open the case and check for a loose internal connection particularly to your HD. Make sure all your connections are seated properly. Make sure there are no wires sitting on or covering the processor heat sink. Make sure there is a large open area over the processor.
Do you get this from a cold boot or a restart? Does it occur before or after the memory test? Before or after the PCI device listing?
Run scandisk on your HD using the thorough setting.

:cool: James

jowilly1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
With this processor, I had to set Bios to the Default Performance settings. I dont even get to the memory check. As soon as I turn on computer, hard drive keeps running and nothing shows on screen.

oldschool

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What sort of video card do you have?

I had the same problem with my Creative Annhiliator Pro. Turn it on, the drive goes, but no video (or less.) Turns out the fan is defect and the card was dying (even on cold boots.)

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did you check the jumpers on the motherboard? Did you set the correct FSB and multiplier? Do you have the correct CPU voltage set?

:cool: James

Raistlin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My friend has that Mobo the memory seems to fit loosely
try taking it out and putting it back in, also you could try different slot, another thing that chipset amd 751 doesnt like gforce graphics cards make sure the agp speed is set to 1X if you have one