Computer won't detect my sound card

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
I have an ASUS Streix raid pro and i installed it yesterday on my computer on my pcie 4 slot on my asrock z97 mobo using a dual molex to 6 pin adapter because my gpu is using the only 2 6 pins i had.

This morning I took my sound card out because I wanted to put it in the pcie 1 slot instead so it is above my gpu and not underneath it where thr fans are but now my computer won't detect my sound card.

I tried putting it back in the original pcie 4 slot where i first had it but computer still won't detect it. I've tried to reinstall the driver but the installation gets so far and says error no sound card device detected. The led on the sound card is on inside the tower so it must be recieing power but my pc won't detect it I don't know what to do.

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
I'm home now, I pressed F2 when my pc was starting up to enter the menu thing, I think f2 is the right key? I have found a load uefi defaults but I can't find a load bios defaults? Do I need to do the load uefi defaults or don't touch that

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
Oh well I didn't do the uefi thing I went and did the cmos thing instead by taking battery out and putting back in. I'm now on a screen that I can either press f1 to continue or f2 to run setup or f11 for boot menu?

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
I pressed F2 for setup and the only thing I did was set the date and time. Logged in and its detected it!!! Thankyou so so much I appreciate it so much I can't express how grateful I am really. I'm going to install the latest driver for it now. Do I need to install the as media USB one and firmware one too or just the driver. Asus Strix Raid Pro

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Ohhh very good, well done.

Try just the driver first. Im guessing firmware is for the sound card's built-in software on the card itself, similar to a graphics card. If it's running fine i wouldn't worry about it.

Im not sure about asmedia, might need it.

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
When it comes to plugging my razer tiamt 7.1 v2 into my soundcard, do i put my green jack into the headphone slot or the front speaker slot. I know that pink goes into mic, grey into side, orange into center and black into rear but with it being a 7.1 headset do i need to put the green one into front jack or headphone jack to utilise the full surrround sound effect? or do i not bother with the colored jacks and instead set up the amp box thing that came with the soundcard just put my ic and audio jack into that i'm so confused

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
Yeah i've already watched that, and read the manual. it's just if i put the green jack into the front jack instead of headphone jack, 7.1 surround works but my mic doesn't work and inwdows doesn't detect that my strix sound card has a mic attatched in the pink slot but if i put the green jack into the headphone jack instead the mic works and my pc detects a mic plugged into the pink slot then but i'm stuck using stereo only if I do that...

Edit: Ok so I manage to get the mic working by unplugging the jack and putting it back in but i'm given a choice between choosing from line in or microphone. Is one better than the other not sure which one i'm supposed to select haha sorry

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Oh right. Bit odd that, i'd say it'll be a simple silly setting somewhere.

Seen this in the manual, page 26.

"5. I can’t hear audio input (Mic, Line-in, AUX, etc.) from my
speakers.

• Please select the correct input as the recording source. If you are
using Windows Vista/Win 7, please also go to system audio control
panel to see the current default recording/input device is right.

• Please remember to turn on the digital monitoring button for that
recording source"

Check in Window's recording devices and see if there's something there worth changing.

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
I have the mic on I just had to unplug the jack and plug it back in. I just don't know if i'm supposed to choose microphone or line in. and my headphones give off a feint fuzzy sound when all the volumes on everything is maxed out but no audio is on

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Microphone or line in should be the same, probably for convenience if you had a vinyl player or something playing Elvis records while you talk and shoot things up in games :)

The fuzzy sound like maybe Windows volume is too high. Try set Windows volume lower and use Asus's volume to make the difference. That's if they're independent and Asus doesn't control Windows volume.

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
I installed that asmedia usb 3.1 driver on the soundcard website to see if that would fix the issue but it hasn't and I alos think I may have messed up because I just realise it's a usb driver for im assuming asus motherboards usb ports and i'm using an asrock z97 motherboard and already had my usb drivers installed for it which wern't asmedia ones

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
And also everything related to my strix sound card in device manager has the number 2 infront of it and under universal serial bus controllers there's Asmedia USB Root Hub and Asmedia USB3.0 eXtensible Host Controller there. Should I disable and uninstall them?

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
Everytime i try to disable then uninsstalll the asmedia 3.0 usb extensible host controller - 1.0 mirosoft then restart mt computer and check in device manager it just reappears i can't get rid of it

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
so it's something to do with the soundcard then? How is the soundcard a usb controller i'm so confused haha. I suppose i should reinstall that asmedia driver on the soundcard website then?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Most likely for usb headphones. The sound card can route it's audio via usb. Id leave it.

Try removing sound card drivers and restart in case there's a conflict there causing distortion at high volume. Check if Windows installs drivers on its own after restarting.

If distortion still happens it could be just the headphones or mic too sensitive maybe?

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
IT says I installed that asmedia thing on the 5th which was after i installed my soundcard earlier because i installed my soundcard on the 4th. I can't seem to get rid of it though

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
just tried unsintalling the drivers for sound card then the usb thing, I can't get rid of it and my sound card is still in brackest saying (2) but windows only give s me windows updates

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
its under the audio inputs and outputs section on device manager.

Line (4- Strix Sound Card)
Microphone (4- Strix Sound Card)
SPDIF Out (4- Strix Sound Card)
Speakers (4- Strix Sound Card)

is what they all listed as. When I pull my headphone jacks out they dissapear but as soon as I plug them back in it comes back up with the same number