Jan 11, 2015
Hey Everyone, this is my system

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (stock clocks)
RAM: 4 × 8 GB 3000 MHz
MB: MSI B450M PRO VDH PLUS:
STORAGE: 1 × 1 TB NVMe, couple of SSDs and HDDs
GPU: AMD RX 6700 XT
PSU: High Power Astro GD 850 watt

The PC worked perfectly fine until late last night, I was gaming and it was stable. No crashes or anything.

When I got home today, I tried to turn it on, but it didn't boot, and the motherboard debug LEDs showed a VGA error, while the monitor was completely black. I tested my GPU in a friend's system, and it worked perfectly fine. Even played Alan Wake 2 for a bit to make sure it's stable, and it was.

I took my friend's 6900 XT that is working fine and tested it in my system, which exhibited the same behaviour.

I also tried changing the GPU power cables with new ones, unused, from the PSU box, I tried using another GPU power out header on the PSU, I tried removing the CMOS battery, and reinstalling it after a few seconds, I tried shorting the BIOS reset using the motherboard jumper, I tried booting with one stick of ram in different slots, I tried removing all USB and other peripherals, none of which helped, I still get the VGA error. Two things I have not tried, is using a GPU without PCIE power cables and another power supply, which would perhaps rule out problems with my PSU.

Based on this, I suspect my motherboard to have [language]. Any ideas? What else can I do?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the PSU in your build?

MB: MSI B450M PRO VDH PLUS
Unfortunately your motherboard doesn't have a BIOS Flashback button, which negates any option to recover the BIOS in case the motherboard's BIOS was corrupted. You could source a CH341A BIOS programmer toolkit and flash the BIOS but you probably might want to see if another PSU that's reliably built sourced from a friend or neighbor and see if that revives the platform.

miladed

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2015
How old is the PSU in your build?

MB: MSI B450M PRO VDH PLUS
Unfortunately your motherboard doesn't have a BIOS Flashback button, which negates any option to recover the BIOS in case the motherboard's BIOS was corrupted. You could source a CH341A BIOS programmer toolkit and flash the BIOS but you probably might want to see if another PSU that's reliably built sourced from a friend or neighbor and see if that revives the platform.
The PSU is about 9 years old, and while it's been 4 years out of warranty, I checked the manufacturer's site and they're giving 10 year warranties on newer units.

That sounds like a hassle, could I perhaps use another method? I don't think I can find a BIOS programmer.

Also, I didn't do anything in between the PC working and then it not working, whatever has happened, has happened spontaneously.