Question Computer won't power on after using an air compressor to clean it ?

phosphorus

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016
I cleaned my PC with an air compressor and it won't turn on now.

Didn't turn on. It turned on once after with no signs of malfunction. I turned it off and then never turned again.

I took components out and placed back and tried my old PSU. Nothing worked.

D

Deleted member 362816

Weird. Most likely a loose connector like a front panel header but you have already checked for all of that. I get pretty aggressive with an air compressor and never had a issue over the last 10 years. I would try a different power supply before you do anything else.

Reactions: phosphorus

phosphorus

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016
Weird. Most likely a loose connector like a front panel header but you have already checked for all of that. I get pretty aggressive with an air compressor and never had a issue over the last 10 years. I would try a different power supply before you do anything else.
Same.

Already did that. Just unmounted the MB only with CPU ram and graphics connected, old PSU and it doesn't start... It's a b450 btw

Last edited:

jerme1

Prominent
Nov 20, 2020
This happened to me years ago, all I can say is that after rebuying every single part, nothing worked until I bought a new PC case as well. So maybe it was a short in the case the whole time, no clue where or how.

phosphorus

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016
This happened to me years ago, all I can say is that after rebuying every single part, nothing worked until I bought a new PC case as well. So maybe it was a short in the case the whole time, no clue where or how.
You also had these leaks I posted? Hope not

Last edited by a moderator:

jerme1

Prominent
Nov 20, 2020
You also had these leaks I posted? Hope not
Checked my old mobo from that time, it has little spots like that, barely. Brief search says that it is grease from vrm heatsinks thermal pads, a normal occurence that shouldn't affect performance though I can't speak from experience. Maybe it can be cleaned with alcohol?

Last edited by a moderator:

phosphorus

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016
Checked my old mobo from that time, it has little spots like that, barely. Brief search says that it is grease from vrm heatsinks thermal pads, a normal occurence that shouldn't affect performance though I can't speak from experience. Maybe it can be cleaned with alcohol?
Will do. Still no reason for the problem tho. Sigh.

D

Deleted member 362816

Not close to the board, mostly on fans. I tried my old one, highly doubt it's the PSU.

Then you got super unlucky blowing it out with air even at a high psu really shouldn't have did anything to it.

I would remove everything off the motherboard including the cpu reseat everything, Do not connect the Front panel header jump the pins with a screw drive instead to start it and see what it does. Also make sure no metal that isn't supposed to be is touching the board itself, Usb port etc.

phosphorus

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016
Then you got super unlucky blowing it out with air even at a high psu really shouldn't have did anything to it.

I would remove everything off the motherboard including the cpu reseat everything, Do not connect the Front panel header jump the pins with a screw drive instead to start it and see what it does. Also make sure no metal that isn't supposed to be is touching the board itself, Usb port etc.
Did this, removed the board fully and nothing