Computer won't start. No beeps, monitor says power save.

Darjian

Jan 12, 2013
I bought a new CPU and Motherboard today and put them together. I'm assuming I plugged the wires properly. So far no beeps when i start the computer but the fans are working and the LED lights light up. The monitor says "power saving" everytime I start it up. I have windows 7 32 bit installed on my hard drive and was planning to format it into windows 7 64 bit but I can't when my computer won't even start.
Can you guys please help me out?

My build is:
ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3
AMD Phenom II X4 965
Cooler Master 700w
1 x 4gb memory ram stick.

Darjian

Jan 12, 2013
right i forgot to mention i have a GTX 275 graphics card. Right now I don't have it plugged int he motherboard. So y cables are plugged in the motherbaord DVI.

So far it hasnt worked yet. Any suggestions? Could it be a DOA?

Sounds like Windows 7 is in power saving mode.. (Power Options); either Stand By or Hibernation. Have you tried Safe Mode? If not, press F8 after the BIOS Post.. hold the F8 key down till the Safe Mode options appear on the screen. Once logged on, disable Hibernation in Control Panel \ Power Options \ Hibernation tab \ Uncheck the hibernation option. Next click on Power Schemes tab \ scroll Syste Standby and select Never, click Apply and OK.

If Safe Mode can't be accessed;
1. Either remove the hard drive and install it on another computer, access it from the host system and on your hard drive's system partition, Delete the Hiberfil file. Hiberfil.sys is where Standby and Hibernation save the programs and files as they were the last time the system went into Hibernation, or Standby followed by Hibernation.
2. Or download the Hiren's Boot CD ISO. burn it and use the Hiren's Live CD to access the hard drive and delete the Hiberfil file.

Darjian

Jan 12, 2013
RIght now the red light lit up and I hear this constant beeping noise. It's my first time installing new hardware on a computer so i generally don't know whats going on.

I do have my 4/8 power pin pci power cable plugged

The things is I can't even get to my bios it won't display anything in the monitor

I'm beginning to think it's the Ram.

Darjian

Jan 12, 2013
Okay I plugged the power pin, found out there was something blocking it so now got the 8 pins covered. I don't understand the dual channel memory. I'm looking through the manual but I don't know what I'm suppose to look at

You have to forgive scout_03 and smorizio's grammar, they are hard to understand sometimes.

What they are trying to say is be sure that the 1 memory module you do have is in the first slot on the motherboard. You should be able to find this by looking at the motherboard and they typically are labeled either via color coding or on the board itself. The first slot is going to be closest to the processor.

As for running with only 1 DIMM, yes it will work when installed correctly but you will get better performance with having a 2nd DIMM in the corresponding channel to this one (hence dual channel configuration) especially if you are running x64.

I'm going to take a look at your motherboard specs and get you the exact type of configuration.

EDIT:

Your motherboard slots should be blue and black consecutively. Be sure your memory is in the first blue slot closest to the processor and don't force it in. When you push it in the clips should be pointing outward and as you press the memory down into it the clips will close up around it.

If you've got it installed and are getting beep codes, then those are typically memory beep codes and could indicate DOA memory. Did you make sure that the memory is compatible with the motherboard when you purchased it?

EDIT 2:

I would also make sure that your memory appears on the qualified vendor list found HERE .

Xttony

Distinguished
1. Rest the bios by using a CMOS clear button or jumper or removing the CMOS battery(also the power cable) and replugging it after sometime an hour or just short the terminals for half a minute
2. Set the ram cards in slots 2 and 4 and no you don't need 2 ram cards to run your system
3. Plug the video card in the onboard graphics port
Start the computer, if it starts up go to bios and set the ram settings manually or just enable XMP.

Darjian

Jan 12, 2013
Okay I made some progress, this time it made one long beep and 2 short beep. I checked the internet for what it is, they said it's a memory RAM issue. I've tried every slot and the red light is still on and i hear the same beeping noises. Ima go grab a diff ram stick. But does this also mean the motherboard is defective?

This observation may be unnecessary but sometimes it's a simple mistake. One continuous beep followed by two short beeps then a pause (repeated) indicates "NO memory detected", Not exactly a deffective RAM issue but probably incorrct installation. Meaning that the RAM sticks may not be fully seated on the sockets. As you press to install the RAM sticks, the clips should snap in the RAM notches themselves, you shouldn't have to even thouch the clips.

See how to install RAM the proper way.

How to Install RAM
http://www.ehow.com/how_895_install-ram.html

Min 3:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Idy6h0Eq7g

Darjian

Jan 12, 2013
Just replaced my RAM and it's still doing the same thing. Red light is lit up informing me that it doesn't detect RAM even though I've tried every slot and I kept hearing that 1 long and 2 short beeping noirses. So right now I think my motherboard is at fault. Either I got replace that or I give up building a new pc.

When you installed the RAM, did the clips on the end snap it into place?

My suggestion would be to disconnect all non-essential hardware. Remove the motherboard from the case, and put in on a piece of cardboard. Connect only the 24pin and 8 pin power connectors. Connect the 1 RAM chip and power switch. Try booting with just those components.

Darjian

Jan 12, 2013
Yep the RAM did snap. I've tried it with just CPU, the 24 pins and 8 pin plugged, and just one ram and it still giving me the red light and the same beep. The problem really jsut lies on why the motherboard can't read it. Do you think the BIOS might be the problem? I should go find an old ddr3 ram model see if it accepts that.