Computer won't turn on. Think it's the Mobo. Any way to know for sure?

mcnutman

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
I was mid-game and my computer turned off. I felt the case and it was very hot. It's quite a few years old now and I have played the same game for yonks so its not under any unusually high load. The inside of the case is spotless - no dust, so that couldn't have been the cause for the high temps. Thought the PSU had gone, but then it passed the paperclip test so not that. Tried removing all RAM and inserting 1 back in at a time. That didn't work.

There is a green light on the mobo. When I hit the power button nothing happens. No sound from the mobo speaker. I have tried powering on with just the CPU, 1 stick of RAM and Video card (no onboard) and the same result. Nothing happens. I can't see any burnt out capacitors or anything like that on the mobo. Is it likely to be the CPU or Mobo, or is it impossible to tell without getting new parts?

I don't have a spare PC to test with.

Thanks.

mcnutman

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009

Asus Sabertooth 990FX Socket AM3+ 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
AMD Bulldozer FX-8 8120 3.1Ghz Socket AM3+ 8MB L3
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Air Cooler
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz Memory Kit CL9 1.5V
Corsair CS650X PSU
Sapphire HD 7850 OC Edition 2GB Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
OCZ 120GB Agility 3 SSD - SATA-III
Coolermaster Silencio 550 Silent ATX Case

I just tested with a new PSU and its the same result so I guess that definitely rules the PSU out.

Yes sir, that is the only sure fire way to test a PSU, unless you are a professional (Which I am not). If I am reading your original post correctly, you haven't tried booting the computer with the GPU physically uninstalled and using just the onboard correct (Because there is not onboard)? Can you get to the bios?

mcnutman

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009

That is correct. No I can't get anywhere as literally nothing powers up. I think it must be the mobo as otherwise the CPU fan would spin right?

The next thing I would do is get your hands on another graphics card for testing purposes. You can run out to your local "Best Buy" (for example) and temporarily purchase a card and make use of the return policy.

mcnutman

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009

They're all fine - when I press the power button the PSU clicks so it's clearly getting the signal.

In regards to the graphics card, could that really prevent the machine turning on completely?
I did try removing it and powering on to see if the fans spun but again, nothing happens.

Did the other PSU click?

mcnutman

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009

Yes. I've paperclip tested them both and they both work and power up fans that are connected to it. They only don't work when plugged into the mobo.

mcnutman

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009

Yes. I've paperclip tested them both and they both work and power up fans that are connected to it. They only don't work when plugged into the mobo.

Ok - if your motherboard speaker is correctly connected to the motherboard:
Take both ram modules out of the dim slots and turn on the PC. If you get no beep codes then your motherboard is defective.

mcnutman

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009

OK looks like its a mobo issue then. Will report back once I install a new one.
Thanks for your time and expertise!