Concerning my overclocking, Temp too low?

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Hi everybody. I just got my new system last week. Yesterday, after installing most of my apps under Vista Home Ed. 64-bit, I decided to start overclocking.

First, my config goes as follow: E6600, Asus P5B Deluxe, 2GB OCZ Rev.2 Dual-800 @ 4-4-4-15, Asus X1950Pro, TT CP-L0310 Big Typhoon fan for cpu and TT Armor VA8003 case with the 25cm side fan, pushing cool air on my cpu fan.

All I did yesterday was pretty low OC by pushing it to 333*9 @ 1.31V instead of 1.288V, so 3.0GHz instead of 2.4 . My memory was at 4:5, so DDR2-833MHz I think but still same timing set manually. I wanted to try a burn-in utility but the ones I tried didn't work under Vista 64-bit. So I decided to use burn-in test, quite old but at least it works out. I ran 2 instance of it for 2 hours. My temp never exceeded 35C according to PC Probe2. I then encoded a 830MB DivX movies that I had to DVD using Roxio Media Creator 9. The cpu usage never exceeded 80% (USB HDD was too slow?) and cpu temp never went over 32C this time.

Is it possible that PC Probe2 reported temp is bad?

If not, and i try to test my OC with Asus utility (AI Suite), will it reset itself to base frequency in case of a lockdown?

Last one, I couldn't get Intel TAT to work. I tried to set to run as Admin, but it launch and stop just as fast even before I start any burn-in test. Is there a way to get it to work under Vista 64-bit? It says to look at the read me file, but I found nothing there.

Thanks for answering.

EDIT: even the air coming out of the back of my case is cool, enough to feel chilly if I exagerate a bit. Also, my sensor that i added with a front case box, report less than 25C inside tha case, close to the HDD, and on the PSU. It report 28C on my CPU fan, which is in line with the reported temp from Asus PC Probe 2 (-5C).

Sirfiroth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
I've had 3 asus boards and asus probe has never been correct.

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

This is the best I've found. Motherboard Monitor 5

GL

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I know about TAT, but I can't get it to work under Vista 64-bit. I launch it with "run as administrator", the windows opens up for 0.1 second and shut down just as fast.

I'll start customizing WXP in the next few days, so worst comes to worst I'll check my OC there with it..

Thanks.

My temp never exceeded 35C according to PC Probe2. I then encoded a 830MB DivX movies that I had to DVD using Roxio Media Creator 9. The cpu usage never exceeded 80% (USB HDD was too slow?) and cpu temp never went over 32C this time.

Oh my GOD. Your CPU may die from catching a cold. Quick, OC to 10GHz and place a mini radiator in your case to keep it warm and toasty.

It could be that PC Probe2 is not fully compatible with Windows Vista yet, so it could be reporting lower than actual temps.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Funny.

I used INTEL Thermal Analysis Tool (that is supposedly the best for accurate Temp info) and never exceeded 40C, so I guess I have a lot of spare-room left unused :wink: . I'll try to reach 3.6ghz next week-end, and keep it if I can stay below 50C under full load for hours. I want stable OC in the long run.

I'll come back here to let you guys know.