Configuring ASUS P4P800 Deluxe Game port in BIOS question

xyz

When you enable the game port in the BIOS, you are confronted with several
configuration options e.g. 200/300. 200/330 etc. What do these numbers
relate to. 200/300 is working for me, but I'm just curious.

Cheers in advance.

xyz

Thanks for your help!

"xyz" <dont@spamme.com> wrote in message
> When you enable the game port in the BIOS, you are confronted with several
> configuration options e.g. 200/300. 200/330 etc. What do these numbers
> relate to. 200/300 is working for me, but I'm just curious.
>
> Cheers in advance.

Paul

Splendid

In article <c9n01h$ksq$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>, "xyz" <dont@spamme.com> wrote:

> When you enable the game port in the BIOS, you are confronted with several
> configuration options e.g. 200/300. 200/330 etc. What do these numbers
> relate to. 200/300 is working for me, but I'm just curious.
>
> Cheers in advance.

They are called I/O addresses and every device that uses them
should have a unique value. The reason you have more than
one option, is for resource juggling - if another device
has a fixed allocation, devices that have multiple values can
be configured to use a non-conflicting value.

As for the concept of I/O, everything these days is memory
mapped. That means the processor address bus is decoded by
hardware logic, to identify just the particular register
in a device you are after. IOW, the hardware looks like
a chunk of ram, and the processor doesn't do anything
different when accessing DRAM, as opposed to some chip
register. They are all accessed with load or store
instructions.

Even today, a processor with an Intel instruction set has
to support I/O instructions. The "IN" and "OUT" instructions
are examples of I/O instructions. Think of this as a legacy
way for the processor to read/write the hardware.

http://faydoc.tripod.com/cpu/in.htm
http://faydoc.tripod.com/cpu/out.htm

Looking at a Z80 family datasheet, an I/O instruction
almost looks like a load/store, except that the IORQ
signal gets asserted during the bus transaction. I guess
that makes the IORQ into a 33rd address bit. The timing
on the bus is also different, because the design intent
was to access hardware devices that don't perform the
same way as a memory.

I wish I could remember more about this, but as I've
thrown out all the docs I had on this stuff, it is hard
to look up, and also hard to find the old info on the
web. The information predates PDF versions or Postscript
versions of documents, and many times the books were
only printed and not in an electronic form.

HTH,
Paul

xyz

Excellent - thanks Paul.

> In article <c9n01h$ksq$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>, "xyz" <dont@spamme.com>
wrote:

> > When you enable the game port in the BIOS, you are confronted with
several
> > configuration options e.g. 200/300. 200/330 etc. What do these numbers
> > relate to. 200/300 is working for me, but I'm just curious.
> >
> > Cheers in advance.
>
> They are called I/O addresses and every device that uses them
> should have a unique value. The reason you have more than
> one option, is for resource juggling - if another device
> has a fixed allocation, devices that have multiple values can
> be configured to use a non-conflicting value.
>
> As for the concept of I/O, everything these days is memory
> mapped. That means the processor address bus is decoded by
> hardware logic, to identify just the particular register
> in a device you are after. IOW, the hardware looks like
> a chunk of ram, and the processor doesn't do anything
> different when accessing DRAM, as opposed to some chip
> register. They are all accessed with load or store
> instructions.
>
> Even today, a processor with an Intel instruction set has
> to support I/O instructions. The "IN" and "OUT" instructions
> are examples of I/O instructions. Think of this as a legacy
> way for the processor to read/write the hardware.
>
> http://faydoc.tripod.com/cpu/in.htm
> http://faydoc.tripod.com/cpu/out.htm
>
> Looking at a Z80 family datasheet, an I/O instruction
> almost looks like a load/store, except that the IORQ
> signal gets asserted during the bus transaction. I guess
> that makes the IORQ into a 33rd address bit. The timing
> on the bus is also different, because the design intent
> was to access hardware devices that don't perform the
> same way as a memory.
>
> I wish I could remember more about this, but as I've
> thrown out all the docs I had on this stuff, it is hard
> to look up, and also hard to find the old info on the
> web. The information predates PDF versions or Postscript
> versions of documents, and many times the books were
> only printed and not in an electronic form.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

"xyz" <dont@spamme.com> wrote in message news:<c9n01h$ksq$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>...
> When you enable the game port in the BIOS, you are confronted with several
> configuration options e.g. 200/300. 200/330 etc. What do these numbers
> relate to. 200/300 is working for me, but I'm just curious.
>
> Cheers in advance.

I recommend 200/330 and IRQ10 as this is what the values typically are
in a sound card.