[SOLVED] configuring wired router to impose "curfew" on single port

Megunticook

Commendable
Mar 13, 2019
I need to configure a late-night "curfew" on my son's internet access in his bedroom so he's not tempted to stay up late gaming (we tried voluntary compliance--not effective). Goal is to have the ethernet port in his bedroom go dark at scheduled time each night.

Home LAN is served by a Cisco RV260 VPN router. I've identified the port number on the router that connects with his room. I looked through the Cisco admin. interface to see if there was a way to schedule an inactive time on a single port, but there doesn't seem to be (correct me if I'm wrong though as this seems like the simplest solution).

I see in the Firewall access settings where you can schedule access for individual IPs, and IP range, or a subnet. So presumably if I can identify the IP assigned to my son's device I can impose the curfew this way.

One wrinkle--will DHCP potentially change his IP whenever he reboots the device? Should I try to assign a static IP to that device?

Please advise me on the best way to set this up in such a way that I can just forget about it and know the curfew will be enforced. Thanks.

firewall.png

Solution
The simplest way to do whst you want is to buy a cheap switch, put his port on the switch and plug the switch into a power timer. Power off the switch when the ethernet is supposed to be off.
Most things can be gotten around. The best method would be to allow certain MAC and IP...ie your machines.. and block everything else. That prevents changing the ip and mac addresses to bypass.

There is no simple way to block by physical port. I don't know if your router supports it but you might be able to load third party firmware. Even those do not support port based rules I don't think. What you would do is put the port on a different vlan and then limit that.

A much simpler and more brute force approach is to put a $15 switch in between. Then you either manually unplug it or you get a outlet that can turn off the power based on time of day. There are simple timer ones and fancy ones you can control with your phone.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have seen a super low tech solution that involved splicing one wire of the CAT cable via a simple switch. This still leaves wireless access as the weak point to the "solution" IMO.
Check to see if your ISP offers some manner of parental control that can be used to schedule?

Megunticook

Commendable
Mar 13, 2019
Thanks everyone. Sounds like most folks suggest the switch solution. Seems silly to buy yet more hardware but if that allows me to "set it and forget it" then probably worth it. I ordered a Netgear 5-port switch and already have a digital power timer.

FS305-Hero-Image_tcm148-102626.png

Appreciate the help.

Megunticook

Commendable
Mar 13, 2019
You might also use one of gazillions "Smart outlets" for that task. It will save you having to manually reset the timer when necessary..

Another thing you want to make sure is to lock down the administrator's account on his computer, and monitor data consumption on his smartphone.
I guess that's what I meant by "digital power timer"--you program it and it automatically switches the power on/off with an internal clock.

He actually doesn't have his own computer at the moment, to make a long story short I offered to buy a nice PC for him in exchange for some work and he opted instead to buy a used PS4 with his own savings (dumb choice in my opinion). He has a school-issued iPad and access to a shared household iMac (which is not in his room). It's the PS4 that's been the late-night problem. I have the wifi on a schedule so that's all set, but the ethernet ports are live 24/7.

Kids tend to be kinda devious when they can't have their internet when they feel they need it. I helped a neighbor do something similar to what you are doing. The kid somehow got the userid and password for the spectrum account and connected to one of the other neighbors routers using the publc hotspot feature spectrum has.

Megunticook

Commendable
Mar 13, 2019
Kids tend to be kinda devious when they can't have their internet when they feel they need it. I helped a neighbor do something similar to what you are doing. The kid somehow got the userid and password for the spectrum account and connected to one of the other neighbors routers using the publc hotspot feature spectrum has.
Well, devious as it is, there's also a positive aspect--some of these kids are going to have very successful careers and make a lot of money in tech. I tell my son if he decides to become a cyber security expert he'll never have to worry about having a well-paying job.