Confirm Build please!

kudohlol

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
This is a build someone else recommended with a budget of 800$ (Excluding price of Video card)
This is a GAMING computer, but i will also do browsing / Work / Listen to Music/Video's etc/ Multitasking pc

What do you think?

Case: Antec Lanboy air Yellow Black / Yellow ATX Mid Tower Computer Modular Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129092&cm_sp=Cat_Computer_Cases-_-Spotlight-_-11-129-092&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=1laftnj6hapi6

Cooling System; Cooler Master Hyper 212+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

Processor; Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

Mobo; ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Changing too; The Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 Z68
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813157271
Reason; Cheaper, has 2 3.0 PCI express slots, everything else is basically the same. Save 70$!
old link
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131730

Memory: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231416

Im going to be using my OLD pc's powersupply: XION Power Real 1000W ATX Power Supply

My current GPU; ATI Radeon 6850 HD

Dvd/CD Player; ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

I have a Harddrive in my current Computer already; But its not exactly a hard purchase to make if i want a new 1.

Windows 7 32 Bit. Changed.

Changed too; Reason being, it doesnt limit the memory to 4g.
Windows 7 64 bit

Thanks for any help i get, appreciated.

Solution
Noo..... 32-bit should be dead by now, most systems come out with 4GB or more, which indicates that 64-bit is the way we're headed.

No huge difference but the Extreme3 Gen3 (not Extreme4 Gen3, you're not even gaming so you wouldn't even need that board. Even then it doesn't make a difference) has PCI-3.0 which would future proof, but you're not gaming. So the board doesn't really matter.

Just get the Extreme3 Gen3 Z68 and save some money.

kudohlol

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
I heard windows 7 64 bit, had limited patch releases... so i thought 32 was better..

As well as the Motherboard, he recommended it.. i don't know much about anything other then the parts i need in a computer;

What is the difference between the Asrock z68 Extreme4 Gen3; vs the p8v68?

Noo..... 32-bit should be dead by now, most systems come out with 4GB or more, which indicates that 64-bit is the way we're headed.

No huge difference but the Extreme3 Gen3 (not Extreme4 Gen3, you're not even gaming so you wouldn't even need that board. Even then it doesn't make a difference) has PCI-3.0 which would future proof, but you're not gaming. So the board doesn't really matter.

Just get the Extreme3 Gen3 Z68 and save some money.

Solution

kudohlol

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
The difference in motherboards, seems really really small; Like 2 2.0 usb slots
Do i want pci express 3.0?

The budget can go a bit higher, like 800$ was a benchmark lol :p if i have 2 put 100$ more to get windows 64 bit and what not.. its not a big deal.

kudohlol

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
: / i am gaming,

"This is a GAMING computer, but i will also do browsing / Work / Listen to Music/Video's etc/ Multitasking pc "

From the 3rd line into my post.

This is going to be for gaming for the next 5-6 years and hopefully require little to no upgrades other then GPU's.

OH.... I just looked at "browsing / Work / Listen to Music/Video's etc/ Multitasking pc" I didn't notice the gaming. But yeah just get the Extreme3. It'll perform fine, overclock fine and it'll future proof you.

If you are going to make this last 5-6 years. I'd suggest getting another 6850 now. I'm going to say right now it may last 3-4 years. But maybe not 5 years. If BF3 has pushed cards like the 6950 2GB then I'd suggest getting another 6850 just to get Crossfire.

koogco

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Will you still like the looks and noise of that case in 2-3 years?
As people say, get a gen3 board, so you are secured for the future, the asrock extreme 3 gen 3 is a good choice.
The rest looks good.
I do not know your current system. But a second 6850 would add alot of horsepower now or later.
And I second the "32bit vs 64bit" thing. Unless you want to be limited to 2,5-3GB of ram, go for 64bit!

kudohlol

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Yeah, the reason for this purchase is bf3; my q6660 processor, with this card and its really running slugish lol. 2.4 ghz is just not cutting it anymore! not to mention i don't even think my PCI express is a 2.0 on this mobo, its a 6-7 year old pc.. i'd imagine its a 1.6 slot pci

I can pick up the card later, another card would push this budget to 1000$ thats steep for RIGHT this second.

A few questions then; should i just buy the mobo with 3.0 slots its like 50$ more.. for futureproof that seems like a good idea, since replacing mother boards later on is ANNOYING.

And should i be waiting for christmas to save any money; or prices are pretty sound and likely to not change much by christmas.

kudohlol

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
the windows 64 bit is a guaranteed now, ill edit the post.

the motherboard still is up for debate; but i think a 3.0 pci express mobo is good for futureproof.

Looks and noise, this case is supposed to limit noise because of their new tray system; and i don't care how my rig looks or sounds, as long as im running the game perfectly, where my hands can go to work on kids.

koogco

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
The reason i mentioned getting another graphics card is, that the graphics card remains the most important part of a gaming rig.
But on the other hand, you can always adjust graphic settings a little to get better fps. If your CPU is too slow, you cannot do anything.

kudohlol

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Yeah, im 100% aware that a GPU is the biggest upgrade to see a biggest upgrade in preformance;

But my current motherboard is a Single 1.6 PCI express slot, so i cant even crossfire, or use my card at full potential.

So that means needing a new MOBO; which means i misewell just get a new processor; and my tower is small can bearly fit my CURRENT single 1 gpu in there (its jam packed) which means its terribly bad for keeping it cool, and also cant put 2 cards in it if i wanted to.

So now im left with case/mobo/processor.. whats left, a heat sync lol, and bam i have my new rig basically :p so ill be buying a full new sleak sexy tower.. im an addicted gamer i use my pc for school and games, music videos etc everything i do when im bored at home is on my pc aside from the girls im with ;)

800-900$ budget to build a rigg, that will last me 5-6 years is not a hard thing to devote to.

koogco

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Hmm, 5-6 years will probably be a stretch. But you might get close if you upgrade the graphics at a later date and do not mind lower settings in new games later on.
Since PC performance (and the game requirements) rise exponentially, and the price in a line of products does the same. Buying a gaming rig twice as expensive usually only gives around a year to its lifetime.

In my opinion the most important thing is to ensure upgradeability in the future. The extreme3 gen3 is almost guaranteed to be one of the motherboards to be compatible with some of the ivy bridge processors in the future, and it will work with newer lines of GPU's aswell due to PCI-E 3.

This way, at least you only have to change CPU/GPU in the future (untill even this board gets old).
How many years before you need to upgrade anything depends on what new games you play, and how high settings you want.

EDIT: It IS guaranteed to support ivy bridge, since you can't actually run the PCI-E 3.0 (except in 2.0 mode) without ivy)

kudohlol

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
I completely understand, that as new games come out, new GPU's will be required for max preformance.

But if the motherboard, is going to be solid for 3 years at least, im definitely happy.
As for processors, i7 is only 100 mhz more, i cant see processors coming out anytime soon that are so ground breaking, all the new games will swap over too it.

I mean bf3.. is the most "beautiful" and intensely graphical multiplayer online shooter right now that i care about, and its got a high bench mark, i doubt most game companies will set their standards that high even in the near future.

kudohlol

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Cool, do grounding Straps come with any of these parts, or thats something i have 2 buy at a local pc shop ?

Should i worry about any warantee's on any parts? or standard warantee's usually cover for any faulty parts i might receive.