Confirmed: Apple Puts Wrench into Hackintoshes

Status
Not open for further replies.

neodude007

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
I guess Apple needs a "win" somewhere since they keep getting ROFL-stomped in the iPhone jailbreaking scene and that other mobile device that keeps getting patched to play songs or use iTunes... forget wth that was...

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
APPLE SAPPING MAH NETBOOK!

Seriously, Apple. These guys are paying you to run your software and you deny it to them because they didn't want the overpriced hardware? I thought you guys liked money.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
People commend Apple for charging $40 for their OS, but they forget that its because they charge you a lot more for the hardware that the OS is so cheap comparatively with Windows.

G

HAHAHA Apple is just jealous hobbyists can build much better systems at much lower cost using the Apple OS. Bunch of wankers... after all, they wouldn't want the ignorant masses to know how much Apple keeps screwing them.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I remember commenting (incorrectly) that an Atom probably couldn't even run OSx. Well, now, apparently Apple agreed with my assessment and is now preventing their customers from receiving a "less than ideal" experience. Good for Apple, listening to customer feedback, er.., if only I had ever bought an Apple product in my life.

Really, for as limited as netbooks are, why would you need all that "it just works" functionality of OSx to being with? All that iBS software just takes up space on a limited harddrive.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
How many news articles do we need about the atom not working on snow leopard builds?

Also why doesn't Apple use the atom cpu, it sucks as much as a mac book. Should be fitting for an Apple product, just mark it up 10x and slap an apple logo on it and sell.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
If the 'fix' is more than masking the Atoms CPU ID, then its a hardware issue where the Atom doesn't have a function the OS is looking to use (throws an exception and resets instead of showing you there is a hardware exception).

Stop writing play-by-play articles on Apple and hacking its OS. "Hey guys I just got Linux to run in my PC! hax!" oh wait...

See how ridiculous it is when you replace OSX with something functional?

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
When you get into talking about misusing software because you have to buy their hardware, you're talking about 10x the negative impact of any kind of microsoft bundling software w\ their os damages.

didn't microsoft have to pay out millions, billions for bundling internet explorer w\ windows? or something.... help me out people.

They shouldn't be allowed to stipulate in their EULA that you must run their software on their hardware. If others took on the same approach, we would be living in the 80s.

deathblooms2k1

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
And people think Windows Genuine Advantage is a pain in the ass. At least Microsoft doesn't give the pirates/thieves/hackers (whatever you want to call them) the finger and put your system into an infinite reboot.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]APPLE SAPPING MAH NETBOOK!Seriously, Apple. These guys are paying you to run your software and you deny it to them because they didn't want the overpriced hardware? I thought you guys liked money.[/citation]

Paying? Please. The vast majority of people running Hackintosh Netbooks are running pirated copies they downloaded online. Don't fool yourself into thinking Apple actually makes any money from Hackintosh Netbooks.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Paying? Please. The vast majority of people running Hackintosh Netbooks are running pirated copies they downloaded online. Don't fool yourself into thinking Apple actually makes any money from Hackintosh Netbooks.[/citation]

I'd like to see the proof backing up your comment :)

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Keep in mind though that Apple Computer doesn't have as much money as Microsoft. I dunno where you guys are getting the greedy part from. As much as I know Macs are overpriced, they have a very small market share and that is mainly why they are. Although if they were smart they'd sell their computers at prices competative to HP. You can sell more products that way.

But ugh... Atom processors? come on. we aren't in the stone age here. I checked benchmark score for the fasted Atom and it ranks 300 and an i7 laptop cpu ranks 4000. Huge difference there. I wouldn't buy it.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]I patent the notion of being a greedy and/or a jackass.After that, I will use Apple among many others *mad scientist laugh*[/citation]

I think you mean "sue" :)
Haha, nice one, good luck.

G

Apple can simply put a permanent wrench into Hackintosh. All they need to do is get IBM to design a new powerPC processor that is more efficient and powerful than Intels best processor line and revert back to that architecture. That would settle it once and for all.

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]I'd like to see the proof backing up your comment[/citation]

I'd like to see the proof backing up yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.