Question Confused about 8 pin CPU Connectors.

Grant Cole

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
According to EVGA, my Nex750B Supernova does support 8pin and has a built in EPS12V 4+4 Pin with a +12v Rail of +12V1.

It also has another EPS12V 4+4 Pin labeled CPU 2 included but attached separately. This one has a +12V Rail of +12V3.

Both these cords seem to have two 4 pin connectors attached to them. However, one of the 4 pins include 2 square and 2 triangle pins (I'm calling them triangle), while the other 4 pins are all triangles.

My MSI B40 Tomahawk however shows that the 8 pin connector has 4 square and 4 triangle attachments. Assuming triangles are 12v and squares are ground? Is this even compatible? I plugged this in once and thought I ruined my motherboard as per another post of mine but its appears the issue must have been something else.

Included in this image is the 8 pin socket of my MSI B40 Tomahawk Max and a picture of the cord labelled CPU 2 with the two 4 pins attached together.

Any extra information would be great. Are these compatible or would I be needing to purchase a new cord to connect 8 pins?

RFf95c5.jpg

KHAL8r9.jpg

Grant Cole

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
After some research, I got many of my questions answered. So I guess I have one more question.

Is the EPS12V 4+4 pin compatible with modern motherboards if I plug in both pins or should I just plug in the one as the other is not compatible using this cord?

Starcruiser

Honorable
Chances are if it fits when you plug it in, it was supposed to go there. If it requires too much force and you have to bend plastic to get it in, it wasn't meant to fit.
It has 2 sets of CPU cables because some new (X570) boards actually need the standard 8 pins and then another 4 pins to power the chipset. It's also because some server boards will have 2 CPUs.

As far as the PSU, it's not completely worthless but definitely check it BEFORE you plug in to your sensitive stuff. You can test it by jumping 2 specific pins in the 24 pin main connector. Once you confirm it can turn on without smoking, check the voltages in BIOS. They should be stable, without much fluctuation. If it passes these simple tests, you're probably OK.
https://www.wikihow.com/Check-a-Power-Supply