Question Confused about MG279q upgrade (27' IPS 1440p)

Razoir

Honorable
Nov 15, 2014
I'm planning to buy a second monitor after having used my MG279q for 5 years now and I'm getting lost in the sea of very similar Asus displays. The goal would be to upgrade from my MG279q and use the MG as my second monitor.

Issue is that I'm struggling to find a clear upgrade. Im looking for a 27' 1440p IPS screen and my main uses would be game programming as well as gaming. I don't play any competitive FPS or in fact any shooters so I don't need any of the ultra competitive features.

what i found looking around was
PG279QE/Z (720EUR) seems to be a much more expensive but the main difference seems to be G-Sync instead of Adaptive
VG27AQ (550EUR) appears to be a slightly better PG279QE but cheaper and with ELMB sync instead of G-Sync. But I don't see much point in ELMB for my uses.
MG279q (420EUR) ... another one? I'm struggling to find differences between the three so that might still be the best option today?

I would be thankful to hear your advices or recommendations! If you have any other idea or clarification on the differences between the three.

geckovic02

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
I'm planning to buy a second monitor after having used my MG279q for 5 years now and I'm getting lost in the sea of very similar Asus displays. The goal would be to upgrade from my MG279q and use the MG as my second monitor.

Issue is that I'm struggling to find a clear upgrade. Im looking for a 27' 1440p IPS screen and my main uses would be game programming as well as gaming. I don't play any competitive FPS or in fact any shooters so I don't need any of the ultra competitive features.

what i found looking around was
PG279QE/Z (720EUR) seems to be a much more expensive but the main difference seems to be G-Sync instead of Adaptive
VG27AQ (550EUR) appears to be a slightly better PG279QE but cheaper and with ELMB sync instead of G-Sync. But I don't see much point in ELMB for my uses.
MG279q (420EUR) ... another one? I'm struggling to find differences between the three so that might still be the best option today?

I would be thankful to hear your advices or recommendations! If you have any other idea or clarification on the differences between the three.

Hey

I have an VG27AQ and ELMB sync isn't G-Sync! ELMB-sync is a special method where you can use a sync technology with motion blur reduction. The monitor has G-Sync and Adaptive-sync (so for both, NVidia and AMD). Even though you don't game so often, it's a nice option to have, espacially for your eyes.

I'm really enjoying the monitor.

Razoir

Honorable
Nov 15, 2014
Ah I didn't know it had G-Sync! thank you for your response.
Well then I'm having trouble seeing the differences between the VG27AQ and the PG279QZ. Do you know why the latter is so much more expensive? Is it because of the build quality?