[SOLVED] Confused about mobo compatibilty with custom loop water coolng

Jan 19, 2021
Right now I have an asus rog strix b450 motherboard do I need to get an x570 to do custom loop watercooling or will this one work?

Solution
Watercooling is based on the thermal load in watts added into the coolant from your CPU and possibly GPU (If also liquid cooled by the same loop). The waterblocks are built for the CPU socket, it has nothing to do with the motherboard chipset or features other than supporting the correct socket and mounting size.

You do not have to overclock to watercool. You also do not have to watercool in order to overclock. These are not mutually inclusive.

My recommendation - read a lot of watercooling stickies, DIY, build logs, etc. as well as check out videos on YouTube on how-to's. Jayztwocents does a pretty solid job of explaining watercooling in his videos. I actually agree with 99% of all his watercooling advice - it is pretty spot...

kanewolf

Titan
Right now I have an asus rog strix b450 motherboard do I need to get an x570 to do custom loop watercooling or will this one work?
Custom water cooling isn't specific to any motherboard. It is more a question of how you plan to control all the fans that are associated with water cooling. Assuming that you are going to have to have a aux fan controller, just get one intended for water cooling that has connections for your pump(s) also.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Watercooling is based on the thermal load in watts added into the coolant from your CPU and possibly GPU (If also liquid cooled by the same loop). The waterblocks are built for the CPU socket, it has nothing to do with the motherboard chipset or features other than supporting the correct socket and mounting size.

You do not have to overclock to watercool. You also do not have to watercool in order to overclock. These are not mutually inclusive.

My recommendation - read a lot of watercooling stickies, DIY, build logs, etc. as well as check out videos on YouTube on how-to's. Jayztwocents does a pretty solid job of explaining watercooling in his videos. I actually agree with 99% of all his watercooling advice - it is pretty spot on to what I recommend to people.

Reactions: Koykis
Solution