Confused about wiring for keystone and RJ-45 connector

Nicholas Hanshaw

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014
Okay to I got everything I need to wire up the whole house with ethernet cable. but I can't seem to get the wiring right. This is the picture I used for the wall jack.
DSC00431-450x199.jpg

http://www.handymanhowto.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/DSC00431-450x199.jpg
This is the picture I used for the connector.
568b.jpg

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/img/568b.jpg
I have a keystone on one end of the cable and a connector on the other end at the switch and router. But when I use my tester (I used a patch cable that I know works to bridge the keystone side) The lights don't match up on both ends. Any help on which end I got wrong or the whole thing?

ALSO I don't have a patch panel and even if I did I don't have enough keystones. It needs to be
Wall keystone >>>>>>> Connector

Any help?

Ralston18

Titan
In full agreement with kanewolf to start with.....

With regards to "the lights don't match up on both ends" is the pattern of "lights on" and "lights off" consistent? If consistent, what is the pattern?

If not consistent that may indicate that some of the punchdown points are not secure. Some of the punchdown tools can be flimsy...

And the inconsistency can also indicate the connectors are not properly crimped - did you do those also? Can be tricky.

Just for the record what gauge is your ethernet cabling? You may not be getting a good "bite" into the keystone if the wire is on the small side.

Nicholas Hanshaw

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014
Okay, as far as I am away I was using the B wiring for the keystone. The link to the picture I used isn't working but I was certain it was a B diagram. The punch-down is fine and very secure, the light pattern on my tester shows wire 2 and 3 need swapped. I know I got the keystone side EXACTLY like the picture I used but I don't know if wire 2 and 3 maybe got overlapped while putting them in the RJ-45 connector side of the wire.

Attempt #2 at showing picture I used for keystone.
Untitled.png

kanewolf

Titan

Sorry, I couldn't find a good picture of a keystone. I guess the one I found wouldn't allow linking. I did a preview when I posted and it worked, but isn't visible to me now.

Simplest thing would be to START with commercial ethernet cables. If everything is good then, it is in your patch cables. Usually you can see the color mis-match by holding both ends of the cable next to each other and looking down from the pin side of the RJ45.

Nicholas Hanshaw

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014
I use a commercial cable to patch the keystone side into the tester. The commercial cable for sure works cause its the one I use from my router to my computer so yeah it definitely works. I'll give the cables a look over. Really wish I just had room for a patch bay.

kanewolf

Titan

I guess I made the assumption that you were running keystone to keystone rather than RJ45 to keystone.