Question Confused on the speed of Samsung 980 pro 2tb NVMe SSd

May 27, 2024
I want to buy a Samsung 980 pro 2tb NVMe SSd for my PC. The speed of Samsung 980 pro 2tb is as following -

1)Sequential Read Speed - 7000 MB/s
2)Sequential Write Speed - 5100 MB/s

If I buy a 2tb NVMe drive and partition it into 3 ,each partition would be of aaprox 660gb. Now my question is would each partition have 7000 ÷ 3=2333.3 MB/s Sequential Read Speed and 5100 ÷ 3=1700 MB/s Sequential Write Speed or each partition would have 7000 MB/s Sequential Read Speed and 5100 MB/s Sequential Write Speed?

Lutfij

Titan
If I buy a 2tb NVMe drive and partition it into 3 ,each partition would be of aaprox 660gb.
I don't partition my SSD's, instead leave them as one drive. If it's meant to be an OS drive, then I merely let the installer create partitions it needs, that's the most I'd go in terms of partitions on an SSD. That's how you extract the most performance out of your SSD and less stress on the (SSD)controller.

With that being said, the speeds aren't divided like you've done in your initial post.

May 27, 2024
No, it doesn't work like that.

The drive works at whatever speed, irrespective of any partitions.

Why the partition splitting?
Can you pls get me some official article regarding this ? It is difficult to find such article on the net

I am doing 3 partition because I would be doing video editing in premiere pro . Therefore I want to keep 1 partition for the OS, 1 partition for the media cache and 1 partition for media storage. This would increase the overall speed and performance of my editing.

May 27, 2024
If I buy a 2tb NVMe drive and partition it into 3 ,each partition would be of aaprox 660gb.
I don't partition my SSD's, instead leave them as one drive. If it's meant to be an OS drive, then I merely let the installer create partitions it needs, that's the most I'd go in terms of partitions on an SSD. That's how you extract the most performance out of your SSD and less stress on the (SSD)controller.

With that being said, the speeds aren't divided like you've done in your initial post.
Then how are the speed divided if I made 3 equal partition of 2tb NVMe SSd?

Can you pls get me some official article regarding this ? It is difficult to find such article on the net

I am doing 3 partition because I would be doing video editing in premiere pro . Therefore I want to keep 1 partition for the OS, 1 partition for the media cache and 1 partition for media storage. This would increase the overall speed and performance of my editing.
You might want to leave the partitions at stock and then create a folder for media cache and a folder for media storage.

Give that a test drive.

USAFRet

Titan
1. This is MUCH better done with individual physical drives. Unlike an HDD, partitions on an SSD are merely logical representations, shown to the use. They are not physically walled off sections of the drive.

2. For that use, the actual drive type and speed does not matter nearly as much as we'd like.
In fact, almost none.

Here is a graph of 3 different SSD types and speeds, rendering the same 10 minute video with Corel VideoStudio.
RNkMrdd.jpeg

1TB 980 Pro (PCIe 4.0)
1TB Intel 660p (PCIe 3.0)
1TB 860 EVO (SATA III)

Here, the OS and software exists on the 980 Pro. The other drives in the same system.

As you can see, no actual difference in rendering time. The rest of the system has FAR more impact than the drive type.

Reactions: Akorah and geofelt
Sep 15, 2024
I want to buy a Samsung 980 pro 2tb NVMe SSd for my PC. The speed of Samsung 980 pro 2tb is as following -

1)Sequential Read Speed - 7000 MB/s
2)Sequential Write Speed - 5100 MB/s

If I buy a 2tb NVMe drive and partition it into 3 ,each partition would be of aaprox 660gb. Now my question is would each partition have 7000 ÷ 3=2333.3 MB/s Sequential Read Speed and 5100 ÷ 3=1700 MB/s Sequential Write Speed or each partition would have 7000 MB/s Sequential Read Speed and 5100 MB/s Sequential Write Speed?
By Chance, I happened to see your post.

I have many years of experience in the IT field and Video Production back to the Betamax days including all of the professional analogue formats.

First, the 980Pro is a very good NVMe drive.

Make your life as simple as possible, you will be dealing with a few issues and crashes from Premier vs Davinci.

All you need is one partition with the 980Pro, even though Premier states three drives for optimal performance. "this comes from the days of slow HDDs and SSDs, where you would need three independent disks and you would see the performance benefit" and your CPU or Video card will probably be your bottleneck, not the 980Pro.

With the NVMe format and this generation of drives, that setup is no longer required.

However, if you want to have the best of both worlds and have another empty NVMe slot on your motherboard, you may want to consider purchasing the TEAM tm8fpw002t 2TB drive with a passmark rating of 51000+ which has more than double the TBW of the 980Pro.

I would use this drive for all my media work "Cache, export, storage, etc. drive, it will deliver better-sustained performance and longevity for your use-case and leave the 980Pro as your OS and programs Drive.

Best of luck in your editing..:}

You might want to read this article from Puget systems on

Understanding Storage for Video Editing​

spoiler:
One of the most common configurations we use in our workstations is to split the data across three drives:

1. OS/applications – SSD or NVMe (500GB+)
  2. Project files/assets – SSD, NVMe, or NAS (2TB+)
  3. Cache – NVMe (500GB+)

kanewolf

Titan
Then how are the speed divided if I made 3 equal partition of 2tb NVMe SSd?
The performance specs are for anywhere on the drive. So the first third, second third and last third are all the same performance. That is with NOTHING ELSE using the disk. If you are simultaneously using the disk for three independent things then each of those three things will get a portion of the total. But it is NOT because of which part of the disk is being used. A process that uses only the middle part of the disk (if partitioned) would get the same performance as a process that uses only the first part of the disk (if partitioned).
Analogy -- you have a 3 lane highway with a TOTAL speed limit of 70 mph. If there is one car in ANY of the three lanes, then that car can go 70MPH. But if you have two cars, then each of them can go 35. If one car "pulls off the highway" -- ie there is no data to write, then the first car can go back to 70MPH.
If you want faster then you need more independent highways. That is interface ports back to the motherboard. Having two or three physical disks is better because you have more physical connections back to the motherboard.

falcon291

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2019

No, this will not increase the speed even a bit. Because physically you are using the same drive. It is the overall speed. So if you are using the three drives at the same time, the total speed will be 7000 Mb/s.

Sep 15, 2024
I conquer with geofelt,

Take the time to look through Puegetsystems website, it is full of helpful information.

Ps. If you are looking for a more precise response, you should include the details of your system components.

May 27, 2024
1. This is MUCH better done with individual physical drives. Unlike an HDD, partitions on an SSD are merely logical representations, shown to the use. They are not physically walled off sections of the drive.

2. For that use, the actual drive type and speed does not matter nearly as much as we'd like.
In fact, almost none.

Here is a graph of 3 different SSD types and speeds, rendering the same 10 minute video with Corel VideoStudio.
RNkMrdd.jpeg

1TB 980 Pro (PCIe 4.0)
1TB Intel 660p (PCIe 3.0)
1TB 860 EVO (SATA III)

Here, the OS and software exists on the 980 Pro. The other drives in the same system.

As you can see, no actual difference in rendering time. The rest of the system has FAR more impact than the drive type.
So What should I do ? Should I buy 2 1tb Samsung 980 pro SSD drives or should I buy a 2tb drive and partition in into 3 parts? Which one is good and which one would give me more fast speed ?